hearthstone H1 fire back replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jake22si

Jul 3, 2015
nh
Just picked up this huge soapstone wood stove, it has a hole and warp in the fire back. Would using fire brick in its place work out or do I need a cast iron plate? The rest of the stove is ok, baffles have a slight bend to them but not bad. Also whats best to use in the seams, caulk or refractory cement?

Has the secondary tube ruptured? If it has that can blast air and cause a hole in the fireback. I would replace it with the proper part and then also replace the secondary tube.

The tube was not ruptured. I can't tell where the extra air came from. The fire back's hole is to the left of the middle and up from the center a bit. The secondary tube was bent a little from the deformed fire back, but solid with no blow outs and the holes were facing the correct position. Above the top baffle was full of ashes and also the primary air control was probably close to clogged up.
It's a 1982.

Trying to get a picture in here, I guess I took it upside down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.5 KB · Views: 349
Yep, that's a nasty blowout. Examine that area including the stone behind it for an air leak.

I used a good light inside the stove and didn't see any coming through. I'll try and get the parts soon. I plan on refreshing the joints with refractory cement before I put it all back together. Would an 82 be considered an older or newer version of the H1?

looks like a h1. my h2 had the same hole. you'll find if you don't clean the area above the baffle and behind the fireback (with the h in the middle) you'll get warping and another hole. clean it every year and it won't pack solid.

Reactions: begreen
found a fire back for $260, does that sound about right? Few more questions, is the outside bevel of the soapstone supposed to be grouted? There is a gap between the secondary burn tube and its adjuster, is there a gasket for that or is it run with a gap?

I may have to fab up a short oval to round adapter, or drill a new hole through the foundation… I have a 10 1/2" adapter but the location of the hole would cause a downward pitch, this stove is much higher than the old one.

it's oval but all you have to do is squeeze with your hands a round pipe and it will fit fine. the secondary pipe is suppose to be just like it is. you'll see when you have a fire in it the pipe expands the only place it can out thru the side stone and that cover is suppose to be left open at all times unless there is a chimney fire the shut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.