Hearthstone Heritage Operating Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True but in this case, the OP states a different stove seemed to work better. I still do not see resolved what that stove actually is rated for heat output, nor whether the heat felt by a person standing in front of the stove is substantial at the noted temps.

Some facts that may explain the issue here stolen from Tom Oyen's site and modified for flow.

The heritage is rated to heat 1300-1900 SF of......

To compute the area each woodstove would heat, we used a model of a well insulated house with 8' ceilings, thermopane or storm windows and an open floor plan in a climate where Winter temperatures average between 20 - 40 degrees F. Any deviations from this model (ie: colder climate, poor insulation, high ceilings, etc.) must be taken into consideration when choosing your stove.

The heritage makes an average 33,730 btus over a burn period as defined as....

The industry standard for airtights on a low draft setting is a 6-8 hour, "all night" fire, with coals left at the end of the burn to ignite a fresh load. This value shows the average output over 8 hours for models with 2 cubic foot or larger fireboxes, or 6 hours for models with 1.5 cubic foot or smaller fireboxes.

The max output of the heritage is only 55000 btus and is defined as.....

To get a maximum output rating, test labs cram the firebox chock-full and crank the draft control wide open. This raging, short-duration fire is just the opposite of how people burn their stoves, and can be misleading: if all you look at is the maximum output rating, a little bitty stove with a really big air intake can seem just as powerful as a big area heater.

The P61 is rated for an output of 61000 btus all day long. Also rated to heat 2000 SF.

The heritage's average (real world) output is only half of that. No wonder it doesn't do as well, it is half the heater.

Nice research.
Just to clarify, my house is a two story cape with a basement. The stove is not located in
the basement, but rather on the main floor.
Came home tonight and the temperature was 65! I placed a floor fan in front of the stove
this morning before leaving for work. That seemed to work. I would have never thought aiming
the fan at the stove would make a difference.

The pellet stove might put out more BTU's when the electricity is on, but when it goes out
your screwed. We lost power for 4 days back in December and this stove kept us relatively
warm, just not as warm as I thought it would.

Do you guys completely fill the stove each time you reload, or do you burn one split at
a time?

Also, when the stove is at 500, it doesn't blast me out of the room. I'm sitting on the couch,
about 5ft away, it's not overwhelming at all.

Dale

Yes, I fill it up. Usually. I won't fill up a stove like this when the temp is still 450 but I do like to burn in full cycles as much as possible.

Attachments

• lick em 007.jpg
    lick em 007.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 244
Dale - can you possibly snap a pic of your stove, showing where exactly your thermometer is? I'm really curious how you can have 500*F stovetops and not feel it blasting.

When the room temp is below 70, I can hang my naked bum right in front of the 500 degree stove and it feels just fine. If the room temp is 80 and I just was reloading a 500 degree stove and am fully clothed, the stove feels much more blast like at 500.

I'm saying that 500 on this stove is making heat but as typical of soapstone, I don't find it harsh if my room is not hot.

Highbeam said:
... I can hang my naked bum right in front of the 500 degree stove and it feels just fine...

Golly gee, thanks for that visual...

:gulp:

WA sure is a different type of place... We get in trouble for hanging bums around these parts, and my wife would be pretty upset if I brought a naked one home. I guess it's just different decorating tastes for the stove room.

Ha! Well WA is a different place but we haven't hung anyone in quite some time.

I built my oversized hearth that we all stand on to cozy up to the fire. Often times it is right before going out to the hot tub in subfreezing weather so you need to get prewarmed for the walk out to the tub. I will admit, that my bum is usually covered with a pair of swim trunks when toasting in front of the fire. Last night I ran the heritage up past 500 and it felt great. You need to rotate yourself so as not to overcook one side. I can't imagine doing that with a 900 degree plate steel stove though.

Highbeam said:
Ha! Well WA is a different place but we haven't hung anyone in quite some time.

I built my oversized hearth that we all stand on to cozy up to the fire. Often times it is right before going out to the hot tub in subfreezing weather so you need to get prewarmed for the walk out to the tub. I will admit, that my bum is usually covered with a pair of swim trunks when toasting in front of the fire. Last night I ran the heritage up past 500 and it felt great. You need to rotate yourself so as not to overcook one side. I can't imagine doing that with a 900 degree plate steel stove though.

Ever burned yourself with melted dripping nylon? I have. Not the greatest of experiences, but certainly not the worst, either.

Alright....that's enough !!!

Last night I purchased (I consider it to be an upgrade) a used Hearthstone Tribute
at a local dealer. If this is what I can expect from myself in a couple of years, then
I should consider taking it back!!!!! :red: :ahhh:

But on a more serious note......

We all go into a stove purchase a bit "jaded".
I remember when we lived at our previous house, we also upgraded to a much
larger Jotul with the hopes of totally satisfying our heating needs.
Well, it didn't even come close.....
Our house was approx. 1600, built in 2000 (well insulated).
But, as I remember it, it always seemed a bit "drafty".

We have since moved to a different house, in which we inherited a "tiny"
woodstove. Silly to say, but that stove definitely outperformed our other at the
previous house. Mind you, this house is better insulated, less drafty & we are not
expecting the stove to totally take care of our heating needs. We also lean on
supplemental electrical heat on "off-peak/discount" rates. With that in mind, we have
been able to get-by on approx. $300 of propane an entire year.

We are hoping that the Tribute can perform the same (it is almost identicle in size as our
previous)

Status
Not open for further replies.