Hearthstone Mansfield Vs Reverso 35

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olllotj

Dec 20, 2013
Western NY
I love the looks of the Hearthstone Mansfield, the square box, the easy going heat, and epically the low clearance required, when hearthstones heat shield is used.

But I stumbled on to some old school technology that I have a hard time getting away from. The Reverso 35, built in Ontario, Canada. http://www.reversomfg.com/index.php?page=products&item=r35
Sure, the area it can heat on their website is probably over rated, but it has a auto damper, and a nice blower, and a very large fire box, all for ~$1500 new, When all said and done on the Mansfield, we would be looking at over $3000.

Soapstone is cool, but scary, If a steel box cracks, I can weld it fixed.

Thoughts?

Wow! 5 or 7 cubic foot fire box. Clearances are terrible. Bet it'll eat some wood in a hurry.

The Mansfield is a good heater but if your worried about soapstone their are plenty of steal 3cf spa stoves out there. If you like the auto thermostat take a look at the blaze kings.

Something doesn't seem to add up on the Reverso 35 when you compare the data to the Mansfield. The Reverso 35 claims a 5 cu. ft. firebox compared to 3.2 for the Mansfield. That makes it almost 60% larger, but it puts out roughly a third of the BTUs of the Mansfield. The Reverso 35 must be including the top chamber above the baffle as being part of the firebox in order to come up with 5 cu. ft. If it really does have that large a firebox are you going to be able to use it all? I know my Jotul F600 with a 3.0 cu. ft. firebox burns far differently with a full load vs. just a few splits for a smaller fire. If you have to load the stove full to achieve just 35K BTUs then you are going to burn through a lot of wood.I think I'd want to talk to someone who has this stove before I took the leap and bought it sight unseen and without user feedback.

I got some more photos of the r35. Price delivered to my door with a blower is $2175. There is about 500 of shipping and tax built into that, ouch!

Here are the photos.

5 cu ft feeding a 6" flue? Something sounds fishy in those specs. It looks solid, and may be well made, but this does not sound like a very efficient stove. Personally I would go for the Mansfield. It will be more efficient, look way better, retain and release a lot more overnight heat and burn a lot cleaner. Or get a basic big box like the Regency 3100, Osburn 2400, PE Summit, Enerzone 3.4, Englander 30NC if you are concerned about cost.

Last edited:
Might want to give your homeowners insurance a call and see if they will still cover you using a non UL listed stove.

Literature says CSA certified. Is that Canada's UL?

I've got a Hearthstone Shelburne, cast, but lined with soap stone, close clearances, and continues to heat for hours after it goes out, burns great, ash pan/grate set up is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.