Heartland sweet heart stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Morso1bo

Burning Hunk
Mar 6, 2011
western new hampshire
Hi
I am currently heating with a Lange 6302k which does a good job heating most of a 200 year old cape in northern New England. I have the opportunity to purchase an older heartland Sweetheart cook stove and was wondering if would provide similar heating results. It looks as though it is rated from 900-1500 sq feet. Thanks for any thoughts!

It's a nice cook stove, but I think you will miss the Lange if you are heating 24/7 with wood. The cook stove is going to need more frequent loading and will not be good for overnight fires. That said, I love a wood cook stove. Any possibility of having both?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thanks for your insight. It would be sad to hear the furnace come on to compensate. It only comes on on the coldest of nights now. Thanks again for directing me to this thread, very informative.

The Lange does need tending every two hours or so, but will hold coals for 15 plus hours. I only put two logs in at a time, not being air tight it can “run away” from me if I pack it with wood. I wonder if tended with the same frequency if the Heartland would put out similar heat.

Possibly, but with a smaller coal bed. Is there a flue damper on the stove pipe on the Lange. Has seams ever been resealed?

It's great that you are taking good care of this stove. I would add a damper on the stove pipe about 18" above the stove top. That should slow down the burn considerably and put more heat out from the stove. Close it once the fire is burning well and you are ready to turn down the air.

No damper on flue, stove was rebuilt 6 years ago. In the fall I reapply stove cement externally to seams that might need it.
It would probably beworth tearing it down and rebuilding it. Applying cement externally only helps marginally.