Heating flue of Englander Madison wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Hello all. We have a Madison wood stove and this is our second year with it. Im having the same issue with this stove and that is preheating the flue. I’ve tried a match, a longer match, a propane torch, burning a rolled up newspaper and despite having 14’ of straight up flue pipe and easy burns once I get it going, it fights me all the time from cold. It keeps spilling smoke back into the house and its ticking Me off. I’ve had stoves that had less flue and no issues so I’m very puzzled at this. None of my tactics are working and besides irritation, it’s mildly embarrassing. im Currently nursing a bum shoulder so climbing around on the roof is a no go. Im either not gonna use it or try anything you folks suggest I try to solve This issue. Thanks I’m advance for your assistance.

Last edited:

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
You turning on the boost air option on the stove?
Pull your air control out and then half turn to the left, should feel a little click, thats your boost air for starting and it should automatically reset after it gets hot - some earlier models got stuck in the open position and had to manually be turned off.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlhfirelion

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
No idea what you mean. I have the air open.
Watch the video I attached, shows once the lever is pulled out it should turn a quarter and click to the left

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Watch the video I attached, shows once the lever is pulled out it should turn a quarter and click to the left
Thank you very much. As soon as I saw the still of the video you linked, I realized what I’d forgotten. I think my gray hair may have a blonde base. Lol. Thanks again!

Reactions: kennyp2339

WoodGirl

Oct 18, 2021
Virginia
Thank you very much. As soon as I saw the still of the video you linked, I realized what I’d forgotten. I think my gray hair may have a blonde base. Lol. Thanks again!
That does not "boost" the air. It is simply an auto setback for the draft. The Madison is a very poor drafting stove. If you don't mind your house smelling like smoke all the time, then it can put out some heat but it is a bear to get it to start drafting. What I do is to build a small fire that I can let burn as hot as possible without worrying it will get away from me. I watch the temp on the flu to let me know that the chimney might be hot enough to create a draft with this stove.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The 15-SSW01 was designed for a minimum 15-16' flue system. 14' is marginal. If the outside temperature is mild, then the draft will be poor. This is not the stove's fault, but Englander should have put a minimum flue system height in the docs. This is not uncommon. It's been noted here several times that adding 2-3 ft. more chimney can make a big difference. This would make life easier. Note that if this puts more than 5' of chimney outdoors then a brace needs to be added at the 5 ft point above where it exits the roof.

PS: sorry about your shoulder.

Last edited:

WoodGirl

Oct 18, 2021
Virginia
I called the company and asked them how the height of the chimney was measured. They said from the floor to the top of the chimney. If that was the case; even with the through the wall installation, I had plenty of chimney before I added three feet. However, it is a known fact that the Madison stove; at least the large one that I have, does indeed have a draft issue. I added three feet to mine and it still will fill the house with smoke if you are not careful. I fuel on hot coals and wood will start to smoke soon afterwards and then comes creeping out the top; especially those cut-outs on each side of the glass air wash inlet; why the cut-outs; I don't know. I am sick of this stove; glass falling loose, smoke spillage, damper spring hitting the door (I removed it), dog box too far inside of the firebox. England got it wrong on this stove in so many ways. The only good thing about it is that it does heat the house.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Well, I continue to have issues with this stove. I’m gonna deal with it this winter and then get rid of it. It does heat well but most stoves do that. The constant draft issues are infuriating. I’m by no means a stove expert but I’ve never had a stove act like this, especially when it’s set up better than stoves I’ve had in the past that still performed better. Guess I know now why the Madison was so cheap at Lowes.

WoodGirl

Oct 18, 2021
Virginia
I still say it IS the stove. Increasing my chimney height resulted in NO difference at all in the smoke spillage. If you have a hot roaring fire, then you can open the door. However, if you are down to the coal stage and go to add fuel, the fuel starts smouldering and the smoke comes pouring out. The smoke first comes out at the cut-outs in the corners of the airwash; what are the purpose of the cut-outs? I think part of the problem is that the door is too large and this cuts the draft to almost zero when open. The only solution for this stove; besides a 30 to 40 foot chimney, is to add a draft inducer to the flue.