Help! Found issue while cleaning my pellet stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Needheat65

Dec 25, 2016
Connecticut
IMG_3273.JPG
Hey everyone,
I have a Enviro cast iron meridian. I was cleaning the plates inside and decided to take them out to clean behind them. Behind the center plate, the fiberglass pad had some charring around the auger tube and some on the top. I'm pretty concerned with this! Is this a common issue? Or normal? Or something I should be concerned about? Looking for any advice! Thanks in advance!

Matt

Is that fiberglass or some type of high temp mineral wool? It probably is there to insulate the heat from transferring to the back of the stove.

The parts that are black look like ash but I am not sure. Is the material breaking off?

Hopefully another Meridian user will come along.

It is mineral wool helps reduce heat transfer to pellet hopper .
It looks normal in wear and tear . Replacements in the 40$ dollar
range (Canada) . Looks to be still good for a couple of more years
If it were mine I'd reuse it . But others may disagree .
I have a friend that replaces his every year where as
I have replaced mine twice in 16 years . It is your call

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950