Help Identifying Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sm1919

Mar 7, 2017
ohio
I see it says "vermont castings" on the side. I've not been able to find any pictures that looks quite like it.
Any help identifying the model and verifying it is indeed a wood stove (rather than gas) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for any help!

00F0F_1NDyBwbcBej_1200x900.jpg 00202_fJHE6viirN8_1200x900.jpg 00e0e_17tHLhECOXT_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a franklin style fireplace. Is this a wood burning stove for sure?

Looks like a franklin style fireplace. Is this a wood burning stove for sure?

thank you for your response!

i'm not sure if it is a wood burning stove for sure. It's fore sale advertised as so. (i've only seen these photos of it)
looking at the pictures on vermont castings' website i noticed their wood burning stoves had a hatch to load wood, the gas stoves did not.

I wouldn't describe that appliance as a stove at all. A stove has at least somewhat airtight doors and a way to regulate air intake.

There also appears to be some kind of apparatus inside the firebox. Maybe it's a fireplace for manual wood pellet or coal burning? Could be a gas burner too, but that is a big flue for a gas appliance.

It looks like it used to be black and has recently suffered the assault of many cans of spraypaint, which is going to be a problem for anyone who actually does attempt to burn anything in it.

Even without the paint problem, it appears to be a decoration and not a heater.

I wouldn't describe that appliance as a stove at all. A stove has at least somewhat airtight doors and a way to regulate air intake.

There also appears to be some kind of apparatus inside the firebox. Maybe it's a fireplace for manual wood pellet or coal burning? Could be a gas burner too, but that is a big flue for a gas appliance.

It looks like it used to be black and has recently suffered the assault of many cans of spraypaint, which is going to be a problem for anyone who actually does attempt to burn anything in it.

Even without the paint problem, it appears to be a decoration and not a heater.
It's red porcelain enamel, not spray paint. It was also available in brown enamel, which was beautiful.

Some of the older VCs had the capability to open the doors and burn with a screen. I see them a lot here in New England, I've seen a few red too.

Some of the older VCs had the capability to open the doors and burn with a screen. I see them a lot here in New England, I've seen a few red too.
They all had an optional screen, current models still do. This was the VC version of the Franklin stove. Not efficient, just pretty. Although it would throw some nice radiant heat I'd think.

A lot prettier than my old Franklin was. Side note. I was disposing of old docs today and came across the invoice for it. $424 stove, chimney and installation labor. In 1977.

Reactions: webby3650
Just checked. That is $1,723.14 in today's dollars.

If that's porcelain enamel, it has some odd mottling going on.
I dont see anything that would make me thing it is not enameled.

I just came across your post from a few years ago. Have you been using that old VC Dauntless? I recently located one, that I might install, mainly for decorative purpose rather then serious heat, in a small seasonal cottage. How do you like yours? Do you get at least a little heat off of it? Are there any parts of the stove that you have found to be problems areas that I should watch for? Any parts that tend to crack? Thanks Fred