Help installing new Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishHarder

Mar 1, 2015
PA
Just got a Osburn Matrix. Thought the tie in point on too of insert "6" round" would have stuck up more then an 1/4" came with 3 small L brackets that screw to top. Question is. Do I screw the 6" stainless coupling that came with Liner Kit to that. And the liner to the coupling. And if so. Do I need to caulk the coupling around insert? What caulk? I stalling it tonight. Wanna make it right.

833820a312497a5cc3c7c18461b3d3f5.jpg bddb7ca9d6637df9f7755a77c626912d.jpg
this don't seem right at all. Is this coupling not right. There are tacks on the 1/4" lip. So I can't even recess this any.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get an "appliance connector" that is crimped, so that it fits inside the lip. Get the connector that is made by the same company that made the liner. Male end of any piece should point down.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
A stainless appliance adapter? Would the HD carry that ?
I would get one from the liner maker; That way you know it will fit the liner properly.

Reactions: bholler
What liner kit did you buy? That thing they sent with it isn't a proper appliance adapter that should have come with the kit. And no, HD won't have a crimped stainless adapter.

Z flex. I will have to Google one from Z flex then and order it by mail. My HVAC suply house has no experience with them. Would a insert dealer. Cary one maybe

Z flex. I will have to Google one from Z flex then and order it by mail. My HVAC suply house has no experience with them. Would a insert dealer. Cary one maybe
If you can find one using z flex they might yes

So I called my supplier and be said Z vent doesn't have an Appliance Adapter. Called another store and they said just pull the liner down into the flue and put the screws in. All these adapters seem to be $56 and 2 weeks out. Can't find anyone local who has the part. Was hoping to get that thing warming my home soon. Wife wants to beat me. Have an insert just sitting in the livingroom.

So I called my supplier and be said Z vent doesn't have an Appliance Adapter.
i cant believe that

Called another store and they said just pull the liner down into the flue and put the screws in.
That is not the right way to do it at all especially with light wall screws done hold in it at all

If the appliance adapter has a worm gear screw clamp that tightens around the liner won't another brand work?

That's the adapter I ordered. Won't get it for 10 days. Feels like forever. Haha. Turned on Osburn Matrix blower to see how it sounded. Just found out now only 1 speed and load. And barley moves air. Hope it spits more out when it's hot.

Pulled the liner. Conected the adapter. Have my first burn. But when I leave the door cracked to get the coals hot and the wood roaring. I notice smoke coming down from my block off plate. What do I do. If I made a hole when pulling it down low. Do I patch it? Let it be? 90516d7f400d46eafdf7334427e8ae8b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.