Help Selecting A Quality Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First issue...the expanded metal gate on the trailer caught the feet of the stove and I couldn't pivot it to move the 3"...so I put a piece of plywood down...next issue, the feet dug right into the composite decking whenever I moved the stove...oops...more plywood. An hour or so later, after much grunting, straining, and cursing, I found myself at the threshold to the living room. Unfortunately, the step is about 6" high and the stove tilted precariously as I tried to swing one end up and into the room...time for a different strategy. I grabbed a few short 2x8s and laid them on the deck by the stove. I picked up one end and kicked a 2x8 under the feet...then I went to the other side and repeated...I kept adding 2x8s until the stove was level with the threshold.

At this point, I picked up one end and attempted to swing it across the threshold and into the room...DOH!...the feet on the opposite end came off the 2x8 due to the pivoting motion and the entire stove nearly rolled onto it's face!

I struggled a lot at this point...trying to hold up a significant portion of the weight of the stove which was leaning over...and trying to kick scrap wood under the feet...

Sweat running in my eyes...muscles straining...grip slipping...

This is what my daughter walked into as she arrived home from school...daddy in a life and death struggle with gravity on the back deck...losing ground steadily.

She dumped her gear and ran over to help; scrambling to stuff scraps of wood under the stove...wondering just what the hell I was up to...thinking she should probably take a picture for her mother's amusement.

Half an hour and some strained muscles later, the stove was finally in the house and I could collapse on the couch.

My own personal trail of tears*...

IMG_1076.jpg

* not to make light of the historic Trail of Tears...the forced relocation of Native Americans from their lands by the U.S. government in the 1830s where thousands died from exposure, disease, and starvation. In retrospect, a poor analogy all together. I apologize.

Stove inside and my a$$ parked firmly on the couch, I'd regroup on Saturday morning to focus on removal of the sliding glass door.

IMG_1080.jpg

This is right about the time that a pallet load of Dura-Vent goodies showed up at my door from Sean at Dynamitebuys.com. My double-wall stove pipe, ceiling support box, chimney, flashing, cap, and storm collar as well as some other assorted goodies. It's all coming together for me now.

8:00 AM Saturday morning and things were well under way...

IMG_1092.jpg

It's a good friend who will wake up early on a cold (36 deg) Saturday morning and help you tear a giant hole in the side of your house. Thanks Kyle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - Ross - do you write for a living? Great suspense...;lol.

fwiw - I got a buddy with a hand truck to help roll my unit from the driveway where it was delivered, around to the front and into the house (rolled it up a couple of planks over the stairs and up over the sliding door threshold). It was well crated - nothing moved inside. We parked it in the corner of the room. After I finished the hearth, out there by myself, I wanted to move it up onto the hearth and get the pipe hooked up - but I had to do so on my own. Some 2x's (flat they were almost level with the hearth) + a couple of fridge / appliance rollers that were in the pile of stuff, + scraps of thin hardboard - these did the trick. Tilted the stove, slid the rollers under the base (one on each side), rolled it over the the edge of the hearth. Tilted again, slid a 2x under the base on each side, with the 2x ends butting against the side of the hearth, then rollers, then rolled the stove right onto the hearth. Used a the hardboard scraps on the hearth for protection. Tilted and removed the rollers, then "wiggled" the stove into the exact location on the hardboard. Tilted it again, just barely (enough to kick the hardboard out one side at a time) and set the base back down on the tiles. Faster than getting someone to come out to help (I'm a few miles from nowhere).

Necessity is the mother of invention.

btw - your place is very nice - the stove is beautiful too. You should be able to get a few $ for your old patio door if it's in halfway decent shape. Good luck with the project...

Thank you sir! I actually put the door on Craigslist on Friday night for FREE and I had 37 people fighting over it in a matter of hours. I had to delete the ad because my phone was ringing of the hook. The guy who I gave it to actually lived right around the corner and had bought some tools and toys off of me in the past. He also took the windows that I had removed. Good deal for him as they were all Andersen and in nice condition...good deal for me as I don't have to look at them. I probably could have sold them for a few bucks, but I'll take the good karma instead. He took them within hours of removal.

By Saturday afternoon, the insulation was up and I scooted the stove into place to start lining up the chimney. I'm still going to build a raised hearth with brick behind it, but I wanted to verify that my rafters were going to cooperate with my intentions. I was in luck! The chimney will pass cleanly between two rafters with the rear corners of the stove 8-9" from the walls. Manufacturer's spec is 6" so I think I'm golden. The wife and the dog can't wait for the heat to start.

IMG_1094.jpg

I'm not really looking to heat my house 24/7... maybe just the weekends or winter vacations when we're actually home...power failures...

Famous last words!! I started the same as you early last year, and also made a similar statement. After installing the stove, learning/loving to burn and quickly becoming a wood hoarder, I'm now burning 24x7.

Reactions: bluedogz
Haha, me too. I burn as much as I can now lol. Looks very nice.

'll take the good karma instead

+1.

btw, Holiday and Machria are right - you are being assimilated. Once you guys sit in front of the warm fire, watching the nasty weather blowing around outside, it will be game on.

I can see your pup really hates the fire.

I'm betting the new stove room becomes your favorite place :)

Stove came in...all of my friends and family were working....I set about formulating a plan to move this 480lb pig into the house on my own...how heavy could it be? An hour or so later, after much grunting, straining, and cursing, I found myself at the threshold to the living room. Unfortunately..........
Half an hour and some strained muscles later, the stove was finally in the house and I could collapse on the couch.
Let that be a lesson to you; Next time, lay in a supply of beer and wait for reinforcements! ;lol
Seriously, looking good over there, Ross. :) Now start stacking wood; Like they said, you'll be 24/7 in the blink of an eye. ::-)

Your shivering dog is almost on top of the fire. That Isle Royale is overdue!. Great posts. Enjoyed the story. Made me feel guilty for having my stove
delivered by two big brawny guys from the stove store.

Reactions: Oldhippie
That silly dog is never warm enough...she'd climb right into the fireplace if the screen wasn't there to keep her out...I expect her to lay right on top of the stove once its in.

Let that be a lesson to you; Next time, lay in a supply of beer and wait for reinforcements! ;lol
Seriously, looking good over there, Ross. :) Now start stacking wood; Like they said, you'll be 24/7 in the blink of an eye. ::-)

Really, when I moved my Woodstock Fireview in, I had two young muscle builders and a BIL construction worker.. I admit, I did buy the beer. 500 lbs is nothing to be doing alone! especially without the pallet.

Pretty stove, you are going to love having that puppy going. Even if it doesn't do the trick 24X7, you'll keep it going 24X7 as it will be easy to do, and keep that evil oil man at away!

Time to start building my hearth. I'm planning a raised hearth with brick walls behind it and blue stone beneath the stove. First step...cinder blocks. I went with solid blocks so that I'll have a smooth top for laying the blue stone pieces. Crack this decision up to the fact that I know virtually nothing about masonry. If I did, I would have known that these things weigh a freakin ton. I picked up 24 blocks and my truck was definitely dragging ass...I moved them into the house and then I was dragging ass too. I'll mortar them in place this weekend and then start on the brick facade.

IMG_1109.jpg

I've got to cut a few to get the 45 degree front that I'm looking for.

IMG_1111.jpg

Reactions: Oldhippie
Ross does the hearth specs for the Isle Royale require more than the layer of bluestone you have? IMHO I'd be thinking about 2x6 or 2x8 frame, 3/4 ply on top, then skinning it with something like durock + bluestone? Not sure why all the block is required?

I believe he said the floor is concrete. Probably doing that just to get the height he wants.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I think he'll enjoy the elevation. This stove is fun to front-load, even though it has top-loading capability. With both front doors open, there is easy access to the complete firebox.

Yes, the floor is concrete...and it was built to support a 4000lb hot tub that resided in there for years...I do like the aesthetic of a raised hearth , but I'm definitely hoping that it will make front loading just a little easier by not bending down so far...cinder blocks are probably cheaper than framing it in 2x10s and then covering it in wonder board...I wouldn't want to lay bricks and blue stone against naked wood. I think the stove would have been fine just sitting on the tiles, but I hate those tiles. In fact, once the hearth is done, I'll be strapping the entire floor in 2x, sheathing it in 3/4" plywood, and then installing a hardwood floor. That's why the door is 3" higher than the current floor. Incidentally, the wife doesn't like the blue stone so now I have to figure out what to use as an alternative.

In fact, once the hearth is done, I'll be strapping the entire floor in 2x, sheathing it in 3/4" plywood, and then installing a hardwood floor. That's why the door is 3" higher than the current floor.

Was wondering about that, first thinking maybe a brick hearth was going under the door, then that maybe you had a flooding issue outside. The wood floor will be nice, might want to insulate under it too if the slab isn't already or it gets cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaDave
Was wondering about that, first thinking maybe a brick hearth was going under the door, then that maybe you had a flooding issue outside. The wood floor will be nice, might want to insulate under it too if the slab isn't already or it gets cold.

I'm thinking about hardboard insulation between the 2xs and a vapor barrier, but the floor is above grade and never cold or damp. It may just be overkill. I've been talking it over with a few carpenter buddies over breakfasts on Saturdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.