help with a new drolet heat max.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the gap between your 8 in pipes

I have the front and rear outlets/pipes connected (whereas you have the side-by-side outlets connected), so that might make my picture orientation confusing at first.

Hmm, I added a cold air kit and didn't have to move anything.
I think it was only the "older" ones that had the switch in the back like bedrocks that they had you relocate the switch on

Yeah I have side by side will it fit between the two 8 "

The snap disc should fit between the side-by-side outlets. That's how most people do it. (In fact, next weekend I'm converting mine to side-by-side to correct the front-rear mistake my installers made).

Maybe we need to start a "official" Tundra/Heatmax pics and info thread. It seems like there is starting to be a ton of these things out there now. It would be nice to have all this "wisdom" in one spot for people when they go looking to solve issues. Pics of peoples different setups are always interesting too. Like for example, the guy that has a nanny cam focused on his furnace to watch the fire and temp, he can access and control the furnace from work through his cell phone via his Nest thermostat, way cool!
What y'all think about an all inclusive new thread?

Sounds great. But SBI should have to sponsor the thread for you guys doing there job for them. I can hear it now, guy calls SBI and says "I can't get no heat out my tundra" SBI replies " go to HEARTH they have a thread with everything you need to know about our furnace, good luck SBI"

Sounds great. But SBI should have to sponsor the thread for you guys doing there job for them. I can hear it now, guy calls SBI and says "I can't get no heat out my tundra" SBI replies " go to HEARTH they have a thread with everything you need to know about our furnace, good luck SBI"
I call SBI other day never said anything about the update on new location on the thermodisc.

Maybe we need to start a "official" Tundra/Heatmax pics and info thread. It seems like there is starting to be a ton of these things out there now. It would be nice to have all this "wisdom" in one spot for people when they go looking to solve issues. Pics of peoples different setups are always interesting too. Like for example, the guy that has a nanny cam focused on his furnace to watch the fire and temp, he can access and control the furnace from work through his cell phone via his Nest thermostat, way cool!
Sounds good

Well, yes and no. The info is already here, just scattered around thread to thread. And I think people are still advised to to call SBI pretty regularly, can't get parts from Hearth! I agree on the sponsorship though...too bad fyrebug isn't around still...come to think of it, when he was over on AS they were a sponsor there, I wonder if they still are? Or heck, maybe they are sporsors here too, dunno, hafta check

Well, yes and no. The info is already here, just scattered around thread to thread. And I think people are still advised to to call SBI pretty regularly, can't get parts from Hearth! I agree on the sponsorship though...too bad fyrebug isn't around still...come to think of it, when he was over on AS they were a sponsor there, I wonder if they still are? Or heck, maybe they are sporsors here too, dunno, hafta check
I wonder if they will send it free of charge or will I to buy it. I have the cold air return hook up. Don't know why thay never told me about the kit

I wonder if they will send it free of charge or will I to buy it. I have the cold air return hook up. Don't know why thay never told me about the kit
did you actually buy the cold air kit? Because they have the filter kit which is different.

Better question is why your cold air kit didn't include it? I bet they would send it to ya free if you continue to have problems and press them for it.

My furnace came with a faulty high-temp cutout switch for the damper; they promptly sent me one for free. (They actually somehow called me before I knew I had a problem or had registered the furnace).

Then I opened the furnace and found I had a crumbled firebrick; they promptly sent me one for free.

So, I have had good experiences with both the furnace and their customer service and I expect that you should too.

As for a Tundra/Heatmax thread, I'd certainly be interested in that! I don't know the best way to organize it, if it's just a large catch-all thread, or a few threads by general topics (installs/ductwork, electrical troubleshooting, performance questions, helpful tips, etc.)

My furnace came with a faulty high-temp cutout switch for the damper; they promptly sent me one for free. (They actually somehow called me before I knew I had a problem or had registered the furnace).

Then I opened the furnace and found I had a crumbled firebrick; they promptly sent me one for free.

So, I have had good experiences with both the furnace and their customer service and I expect that you should too.

As for a Tundra/Heatmax thread, I'd certainly be interested in that! I don't know the best way to organize it, if it's just a large catch-all thread, or a few threads by general topics (installs/ductwork, electrical troubleshooting, performance questions, helpful tips, etc.)
Yeah it wood be good

Sounds good

Well, I'm gonna take a stab at it. Maybe you guys can post some pics and detail a lil bit about your install, problems encountered and solutions that were found, general tips and/or interesting info regarding the Tundra/Heatmax just to get 'er started off. thanks

So I my house total is about 1100 sq ft. and my basement is about 800 sq ft. I have my tundra piped into my lp furnace plenum. I have a 19' chimney with a 6" duravent duraliner installed. I don't have any heat ducts in my basement, but my basement stays about 70-80 degrees. I have my Tundra hooked up to a thermostat and I keep it at 70 degrees. I had a my own issues with the tundra when I first got it. First the rod that controls the front damper was installed wrong so it didn't open. The damper door is a little bent and sometimes sticks, but I bent it back as close as I could get it. My furnace was one of the first couple hundred so the ash pan didn't have the fix in it. The vermiculite baffle up on top has cracked in half twice on me now, both times SBI replaced it, but when it is broke the thing doesn't heat worth a damn. I ordered the cold air return kit because the firebox wasn't getting hot enough, the cold air kit comes with a new thermodisc that is relocated on the top of the unit. I have back draft dampers installed in my two 8" rounds, but I have tried it both ways and found that the heat coming out of the vents is much higher when installed. I have tried every setting possible with the blower speed and my house heats the best when it is on the lowest setting and this also produces the least amount of coals. I have tried without a baro, with a baro, and with a manual damper and the best was has been the manual damper and this is the way I have it installed now. I get between 8-12 hours of heat with the way it is set up now. I learned really quick that the flue must be cleaned almost monthly. I went for almost 3 months my first time until I found out the tee was almost all the way blocked. I get about 4 cups of creosote out of it each month, but it is dry and flaky and not sticky. When I had the baro installed I did have sticky creosote in the baro. I use a moisture meter because this thing is really picky and needs dry wood. I also have a digital monometer to test flue drafts and I try to keep the draft around -.05 My themometer on the front of my furnace is usually 325-400 degrees. Vent temp in rooms is usually 125 degrees. I have checked outside pipe temp at about 300 and inside 650ish. Here are some pictures of my setup.
WP_20140223_003.jpg WP_20140223_006.jpg WP_20140308_001.jpg WP_20140225_002.jpg

Reactions: brenndatomu
Well, I'm gonna take a stab at it. Maybe you guys can post some pics and detail a lil bit about your install, problems encountered and solutions that were found, general tips and/or interesting info regarding the Tundra/Heatmax just to get 'er started off. thanks
So I my house total is about 1100 sq ft. and my basement is about 800 sq ft. I have my tundra piped into my lp furnace plenum. I have a 19' chimney with a 6" duravent duraliner installed. I don't have any heat ducts in my basement, but my basement stays about 70-80 degrees. I have my Tundra hooked up to a thermostat and I keep it at 70 degrees. I had a my own issues with the tundra when I first got it. First the rod that controls the front damper was installed wrong so it didn't open. The damper door is a little bent and sometimes sticks, but I bent it back as close as I could get it. My furnace was one of the first couple hundred so the ash pan didn't have the fix in it. The vermiculite baffle up on top has cracked in half twice on me now, both times SBI replaced it, but when it is broke the thing doesn't heat worth a damn. I ordered the cold air return kit because the firebox wasn't getting hot enough, the cold air kit comes with a new thermodisc that is relocated on the top of the unit. I have back draft dampers installed in my two 8" rounds, but I have tried it both ways and found that the heat coming out of the vents is much higher when installed. I have tried every setting possible with the blower speed and my house heats the best when it is on the lowest setting and this also produces the least amount of coals. I have tried without a baro, with a baro, and with a manual damper and the best was has been the manual damper and this is the way I have it installed now. I get between 8-12 hours of heat with the way it is set up now. I learned really quick that the flue must be cleaned almost monthly. I went for almost 3 months my first time until I found out the tee was almost all the way blocked. I get about 4 cups of creosote out of it each month, but it is dry and flaky and not sticky. When I had the baro installed I did have sticky creosote in the baro. I use a moisture meter because this thing is really picky and needs dry wood. I also have a digital monometer to test flue drafts and I try to keep the draft around -.05 My themometer on the front of my furnace is usually 325-400 degrees. Vent temp in rooms is usually 125 degrees. I have checked outside pipe temp at about 300 and inside 650ish. Here are some pictures of my setup.
View attachment 153015 View attachment 153016 View attachment 153017 View attachment 153018

i just call sbi they siad to just try the new thermodisc first before relocating it on top of furnace

sbi is now sending the kit for the thermodisc to mount on top of furnace i hope this will fix the trouble.
You call them back or what made them change to sending you the kit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.