Help with Englander NC13 temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All my firewood is cut to 18 inches from the old stove. I didn’t really want to cut it all down to 10 inches but if it burns better that way then I will have to burn it that for a while. Right now I get 5-51/2 of burn time and usable heat for about 6-6 1/2. I still have enough coal for a reload after 7-8 hours

18 " is tight loading E / W in the 13. 16 works better. Ya need 6 - 8 t burn N / S.

Okay cool. I didn’t know it was called a dog house and I always keep that part clean because the air comes thru it. I really do appreciate all the help. Once it settles in mine does burn right at 550. It’s just that first 10 to 20 minutes when the burst of smoke start burning then it settles in for the long haul. I have been burning the cigar method found here and it’s been working great to and it’s not spiking over 600.

It's going to spike, with bark catching, etc. I learned that, the hard way in the PE :eek:

After the first 3-4 hours, the temp is gonna drop, After 4 - 5 with Primo firewood, you'll need a reload.

I usually add a split or 2 to eek it out until 6 or so, in the early AM.

Your time table may vary ;)