Help with older Appalachian Stove Info please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PoeTiger

Jan 15, 2022
Pisgah Forest, NC
Hello All - Newbie to the forum and would appreciate some insight.
IMG_0054(1).HEIC.jpg

If I can get the pics to attach, you should be seeing my Appalachian Stove of unknown model and Serial # 001071 from the Tag by the damper rod.
It was in our house when we bought it. The house was constructed in '73 and I have no idea when the stove was installed.
It has a 3 speed blower and some fire brick about halfway up the sides and back.
Does anyone know what model this is?
How do I check to see if it has catalysts? I looked in the top from inside the box and see nothing that would indicate catalysts.
The fire brick is old and crumbling. I'd like to replace with new. Should I add fire brick to the bottom as well?
We've been running it a few years already and it does pretty well. I'm just trying to bring it as close to originally designed performance as possible.
Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Also. Previous owner left a grate behind but I'm wondering if this model wood stove was designed to be use with a grate or not.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Have you checked to see if this is a slammer install or is a liner connected to it going to the top of the chimney? Have you had the chimney cleaned by a professional to see if everything is ok?

Have you checked to see if this is a slammer install or is a liner connected to it going to the top of the chimney? Have you had the chimney cleaned by a professional to see if everything is ok?

We had it swept and inspected when we moved in. Everything was fine so I assumed it had a liner. However, I just shoved my phone up the flue and took some pics and video. Looks like I have a slammer. :-(

I own an Appalachian 4n1xl, it’s a cat stove. I’m not sure yours is the same. Here’s the website for http://www.appalachianstove.com/
Not sure if they can help you but might be worth a try.
Thanks. I've been to their website and also called them. I've reached out to them a couple of times and have not received a response. Honestly, after finding out my installation is a slammer, coupled with Appalachian Stove's chitty customer service, I'm apparently in the market for a wood stove insert from another brand.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks. I've been to their website and also called them. I've reached out to them a couple of times and have not received a response. Honestly, after finding out my installation is a slammer, coupled with Appalachian Stove's chitty customer service, I'm apparently in the market for a wood stove insert from another brand.
They were not bad stoves in their day. But there is much better stuff available now.

Reactions: PoeTiger
Appalachian has fallen way behind when it comes to innovations for new wood burning stoves. If you are on the look out for a new stove I would check out Blaze King's inserts if your looking for long burn times, it will require an insulated liner to be installed but you really need that anyway for a new stove.

Appalachian has fallen way behind when it comes to innovations for new wood burning stoves. If you are on the look out for a new stove I would check out Blaze King's inserts if your looking for long burn times, it will require an insulated liner to be installed but you really need that anyway for a new stove.
Thank you for your response. I will check out the Blaze Kings as you recommended. I'll definitely be installing a liner and ensure that the new unit is properly installed instead of slammed.

We are in the mountains of Western NC (only about 2500' elevation) but only have an electric heat pump so we use our stove as much as possible. This old Appalachian will throw out some serious heat but it eats too much in my opinion. I can't wait to have an efficient unit that can burn through the night. No more 3am reloads from coals! Thanks again for the help!

I will say this, I had the Appalachian Bay 52 for a few years and it is a decent insert, I was able to get some longer burns out of it if you are looking to keep with Appalachian and can find one. As you mentioned, tech support is useless, but I wanted to throw it out there as an option.