Help with Vermont Casting Intrepid II (model 1990) replacing damper housing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

murwil

Jan 11, 2018
savannah, ga
I have just replaced all of the gaskets and I am trying to reassemble the rear damper housing so that it engages the damper control rod. Anyone know the correct way to do this? The horizontal bar doesn't seem damaged but trying to get it to engage with the damper clip is tricky. I am trying not to have to take the flue collar off if at all possible. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Yes, I removed the damper housing and re-did all the gaskets. I just want to know the best way to place the housing back in place so that it engages with the damper control rod. Does the control rod just press up against it or does it actually go behind or just against the damper clip?

It appears to be similar to my Resolute Acclaim, which I just replaced the complete rear interior of. The damper housing bolted back into the back and the damper laid back onto the damper rod. Mine doesn't "attach" to it, just rests on it. Gravity does the rest. Its amazing to me what you can find on the internet, and how little there is on the actual disassembly/repair of these stoves.

@defiant3 have you done an Intrepid 2 rebuild lately?