Here is a load!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I got another load from the same place as the 8 loads of red oak. I think this is ash? Here is a decent load to show the nay-sayers that there is nearly a face cord on the ranger. Am I all wet or is it about a face cord? My first attempt at pictures using Picasa2 so bear with me.

Attachments

• 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,084
Here is another angle...

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,024
Looks like poor mans power steering. Can you shift gears while hanging the front wheels?

Looks like a heavy load. I am not one to speak though as I have had 3600 #'s in the back of a bone stock F150, sans the 10 ply tires.

:cheese: Luckily it is 6cyl and automatic. Luckily, who am I kidding I paid for it! I do drive it in low 2 or drive with the overdrive out though to keep the tranny cool. I had a thread earlier that said I got a face cord on a ranger and people did not believe the truck would take it. I actually have coil springs over the shocks to add 1500 pound capacity. I take it slow and steady and make sure I have a space cushion because stopping is more difficult. So what do you think, is this a face cord or there about?

I would guess that it is. Why don't you get to splitting and measuring. You've still got another 90
minutes of daylight. :)

Ash is just my guess, it is hardwood but not sure.

northwinds said:
I would guess that it is. Why don't you get to splitting and measuring. You've still got another 90
minutes of daylight. :)

I was thinking the same thing but since its 85 degrees and way humid and my wife is about to go bonkers watching the kids all day its time for jungle gym dad!!! Only a few more years till the 3 year old can help!!! :lol:

Here is a pic of the two broken leaf springs that came off my ranger. :mad: Now I don't load any higher than the bed walls, learned my lesson.

Attachments

• Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,884
Thats why the coil helpers. The factory springs would drop down to the frame stops long before the truck was loaded. I was going to add a leaf to each side but was told that it would be so firm that it would be dangerous to drive in the snow because it would fishtail on every bump. This is somewhere around the 30th or so load like this.

burntime said:
I was going to add a leaf to each side but was told that it would be so firm that it would be dangerous to drive in the snow because it would fishtail on every bump.

That was good advice you got on adding a leaf, because I did it before. When I was in my early twenty I had an '86 ranger v6 4x4 with a mild lift, and I had a leaf added to the rear springs. Now on gravel or dirt she was OK, but on dry pavement she was downright dangerous, with the over sized tires I'd get massive wheel hop in the rear end. It didn't matter if I had road or off road tires on it. I ended having to keep weight in it all the time, then stopped using it as a daily commuter.

Wow, that doesn't look safe enough to be on a public road! :eek:

And yes, I'd say you're very close to a face cord. :)

Like I said stopping is where you need to be carefull. The ranger has served me well until I buy the newer f-150, with gas prices I just keep holding off...with the 2 little ones the wife keeps pushing! Either way the new truck will get the coil over shocks like the ranger...that is for sure! It looks loaded down but the body does not have the sway and shimmy with the coils installed. So is it ash I have or does someone else have a definite id?

In PA. the local, State police & DOT can pull ya over anywhere, anytime, pull you vehicle on portable scale and hand ya a nice hefty fine right there on the spot.
Just saying.

Post another picture.......The dark heartwood and light sapwood rings are not seen on ash like that. Post a close up of the bark and a cut edge.

WoodButcher

I'd say it's close to a face cord. Without it being stacked in the bed and the bed being a short bed it's decieving. Definately doesn't look very safe though. I'd be curious on what it looks like after it's split and stacked.

I'm thinking by the time you split it...that ya there's a face cord there.

burntime said:
I got another load from the same place as the 8 loads of red oak. I think this is ash? Here is a decent load to show the nay-sayers that there is nearly a face cord on the ranger. Am I all wet or is it about a face cord? My first attempt at pictures using Picasa2 so bear with me.

Doesn't look like any ash i've seen...that said, dunno what it is. When all is split and stacked you've got the better part of a face cord there.

just curious...how much did you pay?

It's also easy for me to say... but it would be great if you split and stack this so we can have an answer ;-)

I will take a pic after work. The reason I am thinking a type of ash is that the center was dark when I cut it, and the same type of grain. It does not have the regular bark I see in the ash I usually cut. As for how much I paid, well, free! I pick it up at a church community that has a very old establishment. Probably a hundred years on the same lot of at least 75-100 acres. The first time they called about the oak I busted my tail 2 or 3 times a week for 3 weeks to clean it up and they took the brush. Now when a tree falls they call me and if its good stuff I make a point to go there 2 or 3 times a week. The get free clean up and I get the wood. I wish some of you guys could drive the truck loaded, it really drives better than the stock shocks with a lot less weight on it! The shocks reallly eliminate the body roll all together. I actually have been next to a few cops and they do not even pay attention, not that I am doing wheelies to get there attention, I drive it easy so I do not tax the tranny!

I cropped a pic and I think this will help show the bark? I could be wrong on the species. I know it is a hardwood of some type. Take a look!

Attachments

• 052-1.JPG
    052-1.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,012
burntime said:
I do drive it in low 2 or drive with the overdrive out though to keep the tranny cool.

It's not the transmission that you have to worry about. That truck could tow a boat a lot heavier than that load of wood.

It's the leaf springs, wheel bearings, and shocks that you have to worry about loading it up like that.

-SF

Shocks and leafs are fine, axle would be the weekest link.

Status
Not open for further replies.