HIGHEST STOVE TEMPS, WHO HAS EM?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niko

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2013
Dutchess county, NY
lets makes things clear as this is all about safety first. Dont turn it up and yell at me if something goes wrong. Use at your own risk :)

In threads just recentrly everyone is talking about btu and the heat output of any given stove. This might take a while to get results pending weather. So in all fairness and honesty load up your stove and with proof of video or picture show us

HOW HOT YOUR STOVE GETS!

I'm going to check my King again now that I have the fans. I believe it will be hotter with them running now. Previously in the area of the cat it didn't get much hotter than 775 ish. Face of the stove was 800. I'll get pics.

Sorry do not have any video taking equipment of any kind.

I am using a non catalytic PE Spectrum Classic therefore the stove firebox exterior is covered with a steel porcelain finished top panel and steel porcelain finished side panels as well having approx. 1 inch of air space between the fire box and the porcelain panels, I am also using double wall flue pipe with a probe thermometer in the pipe.

Under normal operation after a reload and its initial fresh fuel burn off of 20-30 minutes followed by the air control full close down to its long burn position the flue interior temp maintains itself between 450° - 550°F for 45-90 minutes depending on the size of the fresh wood load thrown in, then the flue temp very slowly starts edging down for several hours, the stove top thermometer is between 350° - 450°F during this same period, it normally indicates about 100° lower than the flue temp.

I have overloaded a few times or let it get away from me by leaving the air control opened and unattended too long from lack of proper attention and the flue thermometer quickly went to 800° +++ F, freakin scary hot for 45-90 minutes.

Last edited:
A steel stove will be able to run hotter than a cast or stone stove. Anything over 800 on a steel stove and you're asking for trouble. Stove temp doesn't translate to btu output.

Stove temp doesn't translate to btu output.

Really? Is it not directly related? Surface area and surface temp seem to be pretty important factors for determining output. The only other thing you can do is blow air at it for more btu strippage.

A steel stove will be able to run hotter than a cast or stone stove. Anything over 800 on a steel stove and you're asking for trouble. Stove temp doesn't translate to btu output.
How so? Hotter stove top temp means more heat transfer ceteris paribus.

My stove is thermostatically controlled and won't allow me to get much above 750*F stovetop. That being said, any stove is capable of reaching overfire temps if you want to overfire it so I'm not sure what will or will not be proven here.

Reactions: rdust
838F measured with an IR thermometer over the cat on my BK Sirocco. The cat meter pointer was around the 3 o'clock position and the flue probe showed around 700F.

Really? Is it not directly related? Surface area and surface temp seem to be pretty important factors for determining output. The only other thing you can do is blow air at it for more btu strippage.

Surface area yes but not surface temp by itself. If I have a one cubic foot stove that's 800 on the top it's not going to compare to 800 on a 4 cubic foot stove.

All stoves can have a crazy hot temp if you let them. I know my Lopi ran hotter temps than my BK is capable of, my tstat saves me from run away conditions.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
How so? Hotter stove top temp means more heat transfer ceteris paribus.

Surface area is needed too not just stove top temp. Any steel stove will probably go 800+ on the stove top if you let it.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
My stove is thermostatically controlled and won't allow me to get much above 750*F stovetop. That being said, any stove is capable of reaching overfire temps if you want to overfire it so I'm not sure what will or will not be proven here.

Only thing it will prove is who wants to be the most careless with their stove.

This thread is like asking if a ford or chevy is faster. My garage stove will glow on every surface but the legs, doesn't mean it's better than my BK.

I started the thread to show real numbers cause everyone is saying this and that. like i said it might take time pending weather. So for the people that say their stove cant burn long but their stove can produce hi heat this is your chance to show what your real temps are.

Please post a picture of temp for a real Reference. I domt wanna start a argument.

I just wanna see numbers. If you feel comfortable do it, if not then dont. But for those that say they run their stove on full blast all the time then you should have no problem.

This thread is like asking if a ford or chevy is faster. My garage stove will glow on every surface but the legs, doesn't mean it's better than my BK.

I domt want it to be better or worse i just wanna see hi temps. I never ran my stove hot, so im curious to know if someone elses number is hotter by how much.

Axtually its for the non bk burners. They keep saying our stoves can only burn low And dont produce real heat.

Im givning them the floor to show how much hotter their stoves can get then ours.

Surface area yes but not surface temp by itself. If I have a one cubic foot stove that's 800 on the top it's not going to compare to 800 on a 4 cubic foot stove.

Surface area is needed too not just stove top temp. Any steel stove will probably go 800+ on the stove top if you let it.
The premise of heat transfer is heat is transferred from one object to another or its surroundings. The difference in temperature between the two has a direct effect on how much heat is transferred in a given unit of time, its a multiplier. The higher the temperature the higher the transfer rate. The same can be said about area however stoves are approximately the same area. Take two objects of equivalent size and shape, one is 100F hotter then its going to transfer more heat, plain and simple.

Last edited:
I started the thread to show real numbers cause everyone is saying this and that. like i said it might take time pending weather. So for the people that say their stove cant burn long but their stove can produce hi heat this is your chance to show what your real temps are.

Please post a picture of temp for a real Reference. I domt wanna start a argument.

I just wanna see numbers. If you feel comfortable do it, if not then dont. But for those that say they run their stove on full blast all the time then you should have no problem.
the problem with your idea is that stove top temp is not the whole story you also have surface area convective versus radiant ect ect. A cat stove is going to have a very hot spot right over the cat the rest is not going to be as hot so where would you measure that temp? Regardless mine cruises at between 6 and 7 hundred for a couple hours then drops to about 5 for a few more hours I reload at about 250 to 300.

The premise of heat transfer is heat is transferred from one object to another or its surroundings. The difference in temperature has a direct effect on how much heat is transferred in a given unit of time, its a multiplier. The higher the temperature the higher the transfer rate. Take two objects of equivalent size and shape, one is 100F hotter then its going to transfer more heat, plain and simple.
Absolutely but you also have to take into consideration the surface area of it. Whether it has a convective jacket a blower ect ect. A simple surface temp while it gives you some idea of heat output is only a small part of the equation.

Absolutely but you also have to take into consideration the surface area of it. Whether it has a convective jacket a blower ect ect. A simple surface temp while it gives you some idea of heat output is only a small part of the equation.
Yes, I understand that. The OP was only interested in temp of a surface, not necessary using that to determine the heat transfer or the object. I view it as arbitrary.

Yes, I understand that. The OP was only interested in temp of a surface, not necessary using that to determine the heat transfer or the object. I view it as arbitrary.
I agree it is very arbitary. Especially since he is using it to compare cat stoves to non cats. Typically with a cat stove the fire box is at a much lower temp so you wont get nearly as much heat from the front and sides as you do with a non cat. So that makes stove top temps even less important. And I am not saying that that difference is a good thing or a bad thing that is just how it is.

It depends on how high the stove is running.

IR_1830.jpg

IR_1833.jpg

That was after a recent reload with no fans running. I'm going to compare these to after I have the fans on and a little further into the cycle.

I could probably get my stove to 900 if I wanted, it's stone stove so 700 is recommended tops, I've done that a couple of times.

It depends on how high the stove is running.
Yes obviously that is why I said typically Most dont run their cat stoves as hard as you. The way you run yours it seems it heats more like a non cat than a cat stove.

Reactions: rdust and Marshy
I think your assessment is subjective. I might be more accurate to say most people with cat stove run them on low while most people with tube stoves cant seem to operate them on low. Play on words? lol. That I would agree with. I don't know why anyone would think that a stove like the king isn't meant to be run on high. Heat is heat.

Reactions: Highbeam and lsucet
Take two objects of equivalent size and shape, one is 100F hotter then its going to transfer more heat, plain and simple.

You're making the conversation more than the OP asked for. He asked for temps no mention of stove size, shape, material, convective, radiant etc.

I just said stove temps alone don't equal btu output. Read your quote above, it sounds like you agree with me. :rolleyes:

Reactions: bholler