HIGHEST STOVE TEMPS, WHO HAS EM?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think your assessment is subjective. I might be more accurate to say most people with cat stove run them on low while most people with tube stoves cant seem to operate them on low. Play on words? lol. That I would agree with. I don't know why anyone would think that a stove like the king isn't meant to be run on high. Heat is heat.
I never said the king was not meant to be run on high at all. Just that most people typically don't run them that way. And no tube stoves dont run low and slow we all know that. But I can tell you that most cat stoves that I work on have a decent amount of creosote built up inside the box. That tells me that the temperatures in that box are pretty low. Now many of the chimneys are fairly clean so the stoves are working correctly it is not a problem it just shows me how most of my customers run their cat stoves

Reactions: Marshy
You're making the conversation more than the OP asked for. He asked for temps no mention of stove size, shape, material, convective, radiant etc.

I just said stove temps alone don't equal btu output. Read your quote above, it sounds like you agree with me. :rolleyes:
I do agree with you and I also said the OP wasn't interested in heat transfer just highest temps so to your point, temp alone done = btu, why exactly was it brought up by you?

I never said the king was not meant to be run on high at all. Just that most people typically don't run them that way. And no tube stoves dont run low and slow we all know that. But I can tell you that most cat stoves that I work on have a decent amount of creosote built up inside the box. That tells me that the temperatures in that box are pretty low. Now many of the chimneys are fairly clean so the stoves are working correctly it is not a problem it just shows me how most of my customers run their cat stoves
I did not mean to infer you meant/said they are not supposed to be ran on high.

I did not mean to infer you meant/said they are not supposed to be ran on high.
Ok I thought that was what you were saying my mistake.

I do agree with you and I also said the OP wasn't interested in heat transfer just highest temps so to your point, temp alone done = btu, why exactly was it brought up by you?

In threads just recentrly everyone is talking about btu and the heat output of any given stove.

Guess I read to far into this statement. I "assumed" he was wanting a converstation specifically about btu and heat output since the other thread had more going on it it.

This thread is funny. Just for you Niko.

Heh Marshy no thermal imaging, we need photos of a stovetop thermometer. And not right against the flue collar either.

IMG_0712.JPG

Reactions: Highbeam and Marshy
almost 3 hrs into the reload temp at 11:13 pm

At 6;30 am when took the dog out was almos 450 df and lots lots lots of wood left in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20170114_210138083.jpg
    IMG_20170114_210138083.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20170114_210358143.jpg
    IMG_20170114_210358143.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20170114_210408966.jpg
    IMG_20170114_210408966.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20170114_210252829.jpg
    IMG_20170114_210252829.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: Squisher
Isucet it looks like in your photos that your thermostat is turned down quite a bit, yet you're at 700+ stovetop? Is it just the last part of the thermostat adjustment that gives you truly low temps? What about if you turned it up from there? Would it get much hotter? I don't like to burn hotter than the 750 or so I posted.

Heh Marshy no thermal imaging, we need photos of a stovetop thermometer. And not right against the flue collar either.

View attachment 192949
I attached two FLIR images, one of the front of the stove and one pointed at the cat area. None of the flue collar like in my user pic. The front of the stove was hotter than the flue collar BTW.

I trust my FLIR over your thermometer. ==c

Methinks the OP should stipulate a couple more things - like, state what you are measuring with.

Some of those magnetic guages are notoriously inaccurate.

Reactions: Woody Stover
At 6;30 am when took the dog out was almos 450 df and lots lots lots of wood left in there.
What is the temp if you move the thermometer away from the cat?

Isucet it looks like in your photos that your thermostat is turned down quite a bit, yet you're at 700+ stovetop? Is it just the last part of the thermostat adjustment that gives you truly low temps? What about if you turned it up from there? Would it get much hotter? I don't like to burn hotter than the 750 or so I posted.

was running a little hot than normal cause i showed up there after work on saturday and start the stove with about 10 little pieces and create some coals on high. reload about 2 hrs later. I packed it good.lol. i was running it higher than normal cause the house was cold after the whole week and no heating. also has one of the pellet stoves running to bring the house back to temp quick. that was for sure no less than 2 1/2 hrs after reload for the night. i can go higher but i don't like to run it with flames. flames goes thru wood quick and the difference in temp is not that much to me. i will say the tstat controls it anyway. Normally the tsta is at the little mark that is on the sticker. that is the sweet spot of my heating needs. at that mark it will stays around 600 for hrs after reload and 10 or so hrs later it will be anything between 390 t0 425. it oxalate there. plus good amount of wood in there if you want to bring back to higher temp.

Methinks the OP should stipulate a couple more things - like, state what you are measuring with.

Some of those magnetic guages are notoriously inaccurate.
It doesn really matter how accurate it is because like we have all said stove top temps alone don't tell you anywhere near the whole story about heat output.

I attached two FLIR images, one of the front of the stove and one pointed at the cat area. None of the flue collar like in my user pic. The front of the stove was hotter than the flue collar BTW.
I think the flir gives a really good idea of how the stove is working. I would like to see a comparison between your stove the way you run it and
lsucet's stove who runs it more typically of how cat stoves are run. I dont have a flir or I would post a pic of mine.

What's the point of the question? lol
Because the op wants to know about heat output and the fact that you have a hot spot right over the cat and the rest of the top is considerably cooler has a huge effect on heat output. Like I said before I am not saying there is anything wrong with that but it just means that the op's idea of stove top temp determining heat output does not hold true.

Typically with a cat stove the fire box is at a much lower temp so you wont get nearly as much heat from the front and sides as you do with a non cat. So that makes stove top temps even less important.
Yep, most of the heat is right around the cat unless I am burning down coals, then my sides will get hotter from radiation. I think that if Marshy were to pull the external shields and measure temps over the entire exterior of his stove, his King would have one of the lowest average temps per sq.in. of any stove, due to the internal heat shields in the fire box not allowing radiation against the sides at higher air settings.
Most dont run their cat stoves as hard as you. The way you run yours it seems it heats more like a non cat than a cat stove.
I don't know why anyone would think that a stove like the king isn't meant to be run on high. Heat is heat.
Cat stoves are really meant to be run low. They are most efficient when the wood burns at a slow rate and the heat generated by the cat has time to exit the stove. Running your stove wide open, you are sending a ton of heat up the flue before the stove has a chance to absorb and transfer it. If you want to run at higher output, better to have a stove that allows radiation from the flame and coals to reach the side walls, and a full convective jacket where the blower also strips heat from the sides of the stove, not just the back and part of the top.
Call me yellow, but I wouldn't be comfortable running the front of the stove at 800+, even with the 1/4" steel I had there in the Buck 91...

Reactions: bholler
Yep, most of the heat is right around the cat unless I am burning down coals, then my sides will get hotter from radiation. I think that if Marshy were to pull the external shields and measure temps over the entire exterior of his stove, his King would have one of the lowest average temps per sq.in. of any stove, due to the internal heat shields in his stove not allowing radiation against the sides at higher air settings.
Thankyou that is all I was saying. Not that it is any better or worse than any other stove just that is how they work

It doesn really matter how accurate it is because like we have all said stove top temps alone don't tell you anywhere near the whole story about heat output.
Then, if stovetop temp dont tell the you the whole story, why this thead is title
Because the op wants to know about heat output and the fact that you have a hot spot right over the cat and the rest of the top is considerably cooler has a huge effect on heat output. Like I said before I am not saying there is anything wrong with that but it just means that the op's idea of stove top temp determining heat output does not hold true.

The op will be the op always. this is just a game. it's up to an individual it he/she want to play it or not. regardless you already accept that my stove is better than your. Did you forgot?

Then, if stovetop temp dont tell the you the whole story, why this thead is title
because the op does not understand everything that goes into heat output efficiency ect ect.

The op will be the op always. this is just a game. it's up to an individual it he/she want to play it or not.
Well not really this is a site where lots of people get info on how to safely and efficiently heat their homes with wood. I know you are treating it like a game and some of that is just fine but there is also a serious side to it.

regardless you already accept that my stove is better than your. Did you forgot?
Better for you yes not better for everyone by any means. And it is still ugly. LOL

But regardless of the looks they are still great stoves I don't want to belittle that fact by picking on the bad looks of them.

because the op does not understand everything that goes into heat output efficiency ect ect.

Well not really this is a site where lots of people get info on how to safely and efficiently heat their homes with wood. I know you are treating it like a game and some of that is just fine but there is also a serious side to it.

Better for you yes not better for everyone by any means. And it is still ugly. LOL

But regardless of the looks they are still great stoves I don't want to belittle that fact by picking on the bad looks of them.

lol Is ok , so far so good.lol

I think the flir gives a really good idea of how the stove is working. I would like to see a comparison between your stove the way you run it and
lsucet's stove who runs it more typically of how cat stoves are run. I dont have a flir or I would post a pic of mine.
I could turn the stove down and take more pics. I'd like to compare my stove wide open vs a secondary type stove burning on high.

View attachment 192949

That's where I run my non-cat these days, it really likes the 750 area with flue surface temps under 400, blowers cranked.

almost 3 hrs into the reload temp at 11:13 pm

Careful, woody will notice that cat meter above the active zone and will assume that means it's up above 1600 which may or may not be too hot for a cat.

I could turn the stove down and take more pics. I'd like to compare my stove wide open vs a secondary type stove burning on high.
I am sure someone here has a flir and a tube stove I would be interested to see that to.