hired a tree service to drop some trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood Duck said:
Nobody is answering the question of the OP, so here goes - 10 cords. It doesn't look like 10 cords in the pictures, but trees that size should be more than a cord apiece, I think.

lol Thats not even a good guess with those pic's...

Wood Duck said:
Nobody is answering the question of the OP, so here goes - 10 cords. It doesn't look like 10 cords in the pictures, but trees that size should be more than a cord apiece, I think.

I would not bank on any more than a cord per tree - pics or no.

As for the price, it all depends on where you live. Around me a day for a tree crew is about what he paid. Sure I think some guys milk their bids more than others but in many areas prices are sort of 'established' by the local contractors. I have seen/heard where I bunch of contractors made their point to another about him using cut rates to get more work. Location. location, location...

CTwoodburner said:
Wood Duck said:

I would not bank on any more than a cord per tree - pics or no.

As for the price, it all depends on where you live. Around me a day for a tree crew is about what he paid. Sure I think some guys milk their bids more than others but in many areas prices are sort of 'established' by the local contractors. I have seen/heard where I bunch of contractors made their point to another about him using cut rates to get more work. Location. location, location...

those tree's are not that big and a shady area less than 1/2 cord per tree.

in soFL my grandfather had to pay about 5k to have one fairly large fig tree taken down. That's the limit to my experience, so I was a little worried when I noticed a couple of my trees that were acting a bit puny. Course I've had a couple of neighbors clear their lots recently, so I could ask.

I tend to estimate 3/4 cord per tree here.
Sometimes it's under, sometimes it's a little over.

OP, please follow up with pics of your split and stacked wood. I'm curious as to how much cord wood you get out of this. Suppose you get three cords. If wood is going for even $150 a cord in your area you have $450 worth of wood, making labor costs only $750. The more burnable wood you have, the cheaper your labor works out to be.

At least that's one way of looking at it.

Holy sheetz! A lot of pizz and not enough beer!

I haven't felled any serious trees in 25 years. I have a friend that used to work for a few of the 'tree companies' here in the NE, who now free-lances, including climbing. He simply charges $1k/day. Insured,yes. No such thing in NY as a 'liscenced' tree feller. And I don't know shi+, but 1 cord per tree?!?? No wonder I'm tired! I must burn 30 cord a year!!! :smirk:

If people giving their opinion on what saw, truck, splitter, etc is out of line now on this Forumn, then someone needs a chill pill.

'Cause everyone knows Stihl is still the steel standard. Husq's are what you peel off ears of corn.

All this talk of free food and beer . . .

From a chart posted here used for estimating how much wood comes from measuring the DBH of a tree:
22" DBH yields 1 cord
18" yields .65 cord
16" yields 1/2 cord

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource001044_Rep1200.pdf

As for the price... I had 8 oaks in my back yard that average about 24" DBH. Got 3 estimates to drop one that over hangs the house, all came in around the same at $975 to drop and chip up the branches (no stump, no bucking). Needless to say its still standing.

Got Wood said:
all came in around the same at $975 to drop and chip up the branches (no stump, no bucking). Needless to say its still standing.

i'll come and help ya out wood :shut: :cheese:

564.gif

loon

loon said:

Seriously!!! Where'd he think it was gonna go without encountering a man-made structure??!? I mean, trim it that far, then not just take it top-down with a couple more rope hinges??

TFF :ahhh:

You did well. I used to climb for Bartlett Tree Experts in my youth. It's tough, hard, dangerous work.

Here's a climber from a crew I hired last fall. The trees couldn't be felled in one shot, too close to $$ shrubs, pool , etc.

Paid about the same as you. At 60, my climbing days are over.

Attachments

• Tree climber0001.jpg
    Tree climber0001.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 286
Got Wood said:
From a chart posted here used for estimating how much wood comes from measuring the DBH of a tree:
22" DBH yields 1 cord
18" yields .65 cord
16" yields 1/2 cord

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource001044_Rep1200.pdf

As for the price... I had 8 oaks in my back yard that average about 24" DBH. Got 3 estimates to drop one that over hangs the house, all came in around the same at $975 to drop and chip up the branches (no stump, no bucking). Needless to say its still standing.

"DBH" means what? Diameter ________ Height? Does this formula assume that all trees with 22" DBH are going to be of the same height, same size crown, etc? Seems like there would be a lot of variables here. Tree species, location, etc.

I will say that I took down a standing dead Water Oak a couple of weeks ago that was exactly 16 inches at stump/knee height. I was guessing about 45 feet tall. I got a little less than half a cord. Had I been able to recover all stove size wood from the tall brush as well as part of the top that remains in a nearby tree, I could easily have hit half a cord, maybe slightly better. So, in this case, the formula was pretty close.

But I still think there can be a lot of variables. I don't think all 16 inch diameter trees are going to be 45 feet tall, for example.

Diameter Breast Height - or approximately 4 1/2 feet from the ground.

smokinjay said:
Wood Duck said:

I agree. The pics look like just a couple of cords, but 7 trees ought to be a lot more than a couple of cords. The chart says they're less than a cord each, so I'll go with five cords total. Five cords? ten cords? somewhere in that ballpark.

smokinjay said:
ColdNH said:
Like the title says,

have ALOT of white oak on my 1/4 acre lot. so much so that the house doesn't get any sun at all in the summer never mind the yard. I also plan on bringing in some fill to level off the back yard so its somewhat usable.

long story short, 5 white oaks, 1 TALL long needle pine, and 1 big maple. diameters range from 16-24 inches, 20+ dia. most of them. Started to cleanup the mess today and went through 2 tanks of gas in the saw and then I was to tired to do anymore. (did alot of snowmobiilin Saturday)

So 1200 bucks for 7 trees dropped, and alot of mess to clean up

Any idea how much wood ill get out of this?

Anymore pic's that show more of a 360 view?

I wish i had some more pics of the mess, but im in California right now so i do not. I truly think "freequentLEE" would change his opinion on the cost if he saw the site prior to the trees being dropped as well as the location and proximity to other houses. I also find it interesting that many other new englanders have mentioned similar quotes to mine. i think freequentLEE must be from upstate NY or rural Maine or something. where the cost of living isnt as high as it is when your withing commuting range to Boston. either way im estimating somewhere between 3-4 cords of fire wood from these trees NOT counting the PINE. but i will stack and take a picture whenever i finish with the mess. again, i didnt cut the trees down for the wood. because i know the return wasnt there. I had the trees cut down because i want to expand my lawn and get my sun on the yard and house.

ColdNH said:
smokinjay said:
ColdNH said:
Like the title says,

have ALOT of white oak on my 1/4 acre lot. so much so that the house doesn't get any sun at all in the summer never mind the yard. I also plan on bringing in some fill to level off the back yard so its somewhat usable.

long story short, 5 white oaks, 1 TALL long needle pine, and 1 big maple. diameters range from 16-24 inches, 20+ dia. most of them. Started to cleanup the mess today and went through 2 tanks of gas in the saw and then I was to tired to do anymore. (did alot of snowmobiilin Saturday)

I wish i had some more pics of the mess, but im in California right now so i do not. I truly think "freequentLEE" would change his opinion on the cost if he saw the site prior to the trees being dropped as well as the location and proximity to other houses. I also find it interesting that many other new englanders have mentioned similar quotes to mine. i think freequentLEE must be from upstate NY or rural Maine or something. where the cost of living isnt as high as it is when your withing commuting range to Boston. either way im estimating somewhere between 3-4 cords of fire wood from these trees NOT counting the PINE. but i will stack and take a picture whenever i finish with the mess. again, i didnt cut the trees down for the wood. because i know the return wasnt there. I had the trees cut down because i want to expand my lawn and get my sun on the yard and house.

Thomas,
$150/HR = $150/HR no matter whut god forsaken part of this country yur from!
I think the IRS deduction for passenger vehicles is around $.50 so we're talking $500 + 16 hours drive time @ $15/HR=$740 to get to Thomas' house. $120 for a night in a Hole-tel. $50 to FEED-ME! AND last but not least $150 for my professional felling services.============ $1060.YAY eye coulda made phat coin!
Thomas, if i was your neighbor eye'd dew it for some cold beer. Thats a cake cut!

Always keep some beers in snow banks this time of year. Learned that as a teenager :coolhmm:

ColdNH said:
smokinjay said:
ColdNH said:
Like the title says,

I am hoping there more to it (Looks very simple) .....lol I drop a lot of tree around house's and lee has forgotten more than I will ever know..........I usally use rigging when its that close takes more time but gives you back up plans. No more than a couple extra hours with rigging though.

Wood Duck said:
smokinjay said:
Wood Duck said:

I agree. The pics look like just a couple of cords, but 7 trees ought to be a lot more than a couple of cords. The chart says they're less than a cord each, so I'll go with five cords total. Five cords? ten cords? somewhere in that ballpark.

Well Its been a while, the wood has been split stacked and seasoning since may, but I finally decided to go out and measure all my wood stacks as we are now planning on moving and have sold the house and the buyers made us an offer on the wood.

To my surprise i had more wood then i thought, have 8 cord split stacked and seasoning in total,

The new wood that was cut down this winter came out to 5 cord +/- half a cord.

NOT bad!

I though i only had 5-6 cord stacked all together.

Attachments

• IMG_20110801_181915.jpg
    IMG_20110801_181915.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 225
How much did they offer for it ?

350 for a pair of stools and the wood, which is a major rip-off for 8 cord of wood.

although i do have some neighbors intersted in some wood at 100 bucks a cord. so ill probably sell 4 cord of it to them. and then possibly try to get a little more out of the buyer.

im being realistic, since its the middle of the sumer and your average wood burner is not thinking about buying wood right now especially if they have to move it themselfs (cant even back a truck up to my pile as its down a small revine about 10 feet down and 20 feet from the nearest spot to park a truck. not impossible, but not easy to load a truck, especially in 90 degree heat.

ill be happy if i can sell it all at 100 bucks a cord without doing any of the moving. 800 bucks will be anice start towards a stove for the new place.

For $350 I'd just have a bonfire. Way to much work to give it away at that price.

Lee,

"...AND last but not least $150 for my professional felling services..."

I'm curious, $150 for felling, how much per hour for delimbing and bucking? I've paid for felling, but never for delimbing and bucking, so I have no idea. Or are those services not something you do for money?

Status
Not open for further replies.