Tree Service Score! (and wood ID?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
It's good to know the tree service guys. They dropped all these rounds in my front yard today free of charge ( I gave the guy a $20, earmarked for beer). Pretty exciting, and a little scary considering some of these rounds are 3 ft in diameter. I've got my work more than cut out for me and will likely be about 2 years ahead once I get all this processed.

Anyway, the guy said it was oak, and at first I thought it looked like white oak as well. But then I grabbed a smaller round and busted it up and it didn't seem very oak-ey to me. I usually work with red oak so maybe I'm just wrong, but now I'm starting to think this is actually maple. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG

Reactions: Fred Wright
My first thought was red maple. Once you get the round split with a wedge once, you should find it ok getting the rest of it with a splitting maul.

Soft maple get it split and stacked It can be ready by fall or for the spring, I let mine set for 2 years. We use it a LOT here as it puts out the heat. I burn it just about all winter long unles it is around 0. I use my hard woods for over night and cold weather.

Reactions: Lcback
I have been bringing In a lot of silver maple. I have only splitt a few pieces as its for winter 17/18 but it seems to season real fast. I don't know what it burns like. I have heard complaints, and praises.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Looks like some nice maple to me, personally if I had to burn one type of wood for the rest of my life it would be maple, yes oak is very nice to burn but it takes forever to dry out and sometimes the knots take longer, plus splitting could be tough, maple seems like its easy to split, dry out time is light years ahead, and you could make some large splits that's dry out evenly.

Great! Thanks, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.