"Hitting" wood is educational.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squirrel

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
Ontario
So I'm in the back yard splitting by hand and hit a knotty round which took a few whacks to split.

"Grandad, do you like hitting wood?" Asks the city dwelling grandson visiting for the day.

The next few minutes were devoted to explaining the difference between an axe and a hammer and explaining why wood needed to be split and stacked.

So I split and he stacked for a while. Then city dwelling Dad shows up "Wow, you guys sure have a pile of firewood"

"It's not a pile Dad, it's a stack"

Daughter and I burst out laughing.

Last edited:
I find processing wood to be therapeutic . . . there's just something primeval about whacking the wood and getting one's frustrations out (although I generally use the splitter).

And then there is the sense of accomplishment and emotional well-being when one sees a decent sized stack of wood and you know you're all set for the winter in terms of heating.

We were talking about this last night. I want my kids to appreciate the fact that they know how to start a fire, split and stack wood, use a pocketknife, safely use an axe/hatchet etc, build stuff to be strong, and be able to cook. My parents were great about giving me those skills, and I'm glad to be able to pass it down.

The other day I gave my 2 year old an "axe" (it was a stick with a branch on the end) while I was splitting with the maul. She was practicing just like me. My 5 year old wanted to use the maul, so i gave him an "axe" and he had to show me that he could carry it around safely, hold it properly, and hit within a square i drew on the stump. After he did that, I helped him with the maul.

It was pretty funny, because he took 1 swing and got tired of lifting the 8lb maul :)

I find processing wood to be therapeutic . . . there's just something primeval about whacking the wood and getting one's frustrations out (although I generally use the splitter).

And then there is the sense of accomplishment and emotional well-being when one sees a decent sized stack of wood and you know you're all set for the winter in terms of heating.

+1

It’s a good bit of education, one that he likely will remember. Growing up in the city and moving out to a place with more space, I am still amazed by the process of - cut tree, split, dry- get heat. It doesn’t get old.

My chainsaw crapped out this past fall so I gave it to a close friend to fix, new carb, plug, air boot, fuel lines ect... to repay my buddy back I will be going up to his place tomorrow to "hit" about 4 cords of logs with him

Reactions: BenTN

I was City Dweller until not to long ago, in fact I was 50 years old before I ever used a Battery Charger. These are my boys a few years ago, my wife tries to never leave them alone with me but sometimes she has no choice.
Splitting 1.jpg Splitting 2.jpg

Even "city" people knew how to do this 50 years ago. The two groups "city" and "country" are slowly growing further and further apart.