Holes in splits???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gunfixr

Jan 14, 2019
Va, USA
So, i've posted elsewhere that, this being my first year with a stove, and only having unseasoned wood to burn, of its difficulties.
A friend, who does not have a stove or fire place, has asked me about perhaps boring holes through the splits to increase, I suppose, airflow, or heat flow into the pieces, and therefore make them burn easier/more efficiently. I'm supposing such a thing would require decent sized holes, at least 1", or larger.
I've not heard of this, and it seems like a lot of added work, for little to no gain. I figured the experience base here might know something about this.
So, is this something people do/have done? Helped, didn't help, helped but not enough to be worth it?

Reactions: Gboutdoors
What are you going to do for next year?

If your looking for your wood to burn hotter/quicker you need the following

A. Really dry wood burns the hottest and
Quickest
B. To increase the surface area of the wood
C. Split it a little smaller
D. Choose a wood that burns hotter that has
more BTUs like oak over poplar

The only thing you can do to make your wood burn hot and fast is to turn your wet wood into very dry wood

Last edited:
Reactions: SeanBB
Better and faster to split smaller and stack for max circulation in the firebox and out. Add a fan and or dehumidifier if it’s stored inside. Or mix your wet wood with some sawdust bricks/logs. Once it’s in the firebox I don’t the the holes having much impact.

I've already figured out this year. I had some well seasoned wood gifted to me, but it didn't appear to be enough, so I purchased some more locally. Only the unseasoned was available. So, I use the seasoned to get the stove hot, and a good bed of coals, then add the unseasoned. I have limited room, but keep a couple days or so inside, and have a couple more days outside stacked very openly, in the wind. The well seasoned is split quite small, the unseasoned split varying, from kinda small to quite large, almost or won't go in the stove. I don't have a splitter, and not currently in a position to get one. We've recently moved, and I need to sell the old place first, two homes are bleeding us dry. I do have this thing I had picked up that you can put pieces in and split them with a hand sledge, it won't take very large pieces. I finally found it, after the move, so I can make the larger pieces smaller.
After selling the other place, the plan is to put up wood storage, and, since getting seasoned wood is difficult, go ahead and get wood so at least it'll have this year to season. That's pretty much top of the list now. Next year will be what it is, it will be better than this year. Going to put up enough so i'm always burning 2-3yr old wood, but it will take time. I've learned a lot here already, and am adjusting plans accordingly, but I am starting from way behind, so it will take as long as it takes.

This question was only because my friend keeps bringing up doing this. I personally didn't think it would accomplish anything, or so little as to not be worth the work it would take. I said as much, but he keeps thinking I should try it. I figured you guys here would know more than I, so I asked. The answers you have given say pretty much what I thought, but I am just theorizing, while you speak from experience.
Thanks to all.
If it ever stops raining, long enough for the standing water to subside, I can split some down.

I don't know where in VA you are but it doesn't much matter. Maybe we can pray together to get more than 3 days without rain/snow.

BTW, being that you're in VA check out Liberty Bricks. They make sawdust bricks in central VA. Pick-up only but the best price I've found for any similar product by far @ $180/ton I've burned through most of the ton I bought earlier this winter mixing it in with my not-so-dry oak. Worked pretty well.

One option that may get you out from behind the 8 ball for next year, is buying slab wood waste from a local sawmill. It is small enough you just need to cut it to length and stack it. I kind of feel like I am cheating buy not having to split it, but my boiler loves the stuff.

By now, 3 days without rain or snow doesn't even matter. The standing water only gets about half gone, and then more arrives.
I'm a bit east and South of Richmond.
I'll look into the bricks. However, mostly finincially spent for now. I picked up a couple packages back in late summer at a box store to try out, but later they were gone, and the store didn't get more. Totals 6 pieces. I haven't tried them yet, only 6 bricks won't change my situation anyway.

I've already figured out this year. I had some well seasoned wood gifted to me, but it didn't appear to be enough, so I purchased some more locally. Only the unseasoned was available. So, I use the seasoned to get the stove hot, and a good bed of coals, then add the unseasoned. I have limited room, but keep a couple days or so inside, and have a couple more days outside stacked very openly, in the wind. The well seasoned is split quite small, the unseasoned split varying, from kinda small to quite large, almost or won't go in the stove. I don't have a splitter, and not currently in a position to get one. We've recently moved, and I need to sell the old place first, two homes are bleeding us dry. I do have this thing I had picked up that you can put pieces in and split them with a hand sledge, it won't take very large pieces. I finally found it, after the move, so I can make the larger pieces smaller.
After selling the other place, the plan is to put up wood storage, and, since getting seasoned wood is difficult, go ahead and get wood so at least it'll have this year to season. That's pretty much top of the list now. Next year will be what it is, it will be better than this year. Going to put up enough so i'm always burning 2-3yr old wood, but it will take time. I've learned a lot here already, and am adjusting plans accordingly, but I am starting from way behind, so it will take as long as it takes.

This question was only because my friend keeps bringing up doing this. I personally didn't think it would accomplish anything, or so little as to not be worth the work it would take. I said as much, but he keeps thinking I should try it. I figured you guys here would know more than I, so I asked. The answers you have given say pretty much what I thought, but I am just theorizing, while you speak from experience.
Thanks to all.
If it ever stops raining, long enough for the standing water to subside, I can split some down.
Start stocking up for next year asap. Stay away from Oak. Get ash, maple, etc. Oak takes at least 2 years to season split small. You don't have the luxury of time.

Grab any wood that you can.. grab oak. Do not follow the advice above. When processing separate out the oak and let it season. Your lacking usable wood right now so dont turn anything down. Separate out the wood that will season faster form that that will season slower.. oak will season in 18 month's if set up properly. Get all that you can

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Grab any wood that you can.. grab oak. Do not follow the advice above. When processing separate out the oak and let it season. Your lacking usable wood right now so dont turn anything down. Separate out the wood that will season faster form that that will season slower.. oak will season in 18 month's if set up properly. Get all that you can
Great advice. I'm sure he can distinguish Oak from other woods.

So, i've posted elsewhere that, this being my first year with a stove, and only having unseasoned wood to burn, of its difficulties.
A friend, who does not have a stove or fire place, has asked me about perhaps boring holes through the splits to increase, I suppose, airflow, or heat flow into the pieces, and therefore make them burn easier/more efficiently. I'm supposing such a thing would require decent sized holes, at least 1", or larger.
I've not heard of this, and it seems like a lot of added work, for little to no gain. I figured the experience base here might know something about this.
So, is this something people do/have done? Helped, didn't help, helped but not enough to be worth it?
Drilling holes would be huge a waste of time...as has been suggested here..if you can get some slab wood from a saw mill it would get you on track faster than anything else...in the meantime ..CSS like a mad man!

Drill holes make saw dust but I can't see it helping wood dry
To me all you are doing is removing BTUs
just a make work project

Yeah, i've decided i'm not bothering with the drill thing. I told my friend I didn't think it would make any real difference.

Have your friend do all the drilling so they can prove the idea works ;)

Drilling holes would actually probably help/work, but it's a terrible waste of materials and effort.