Homemade Pizza

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I will probably do a cement wood fired pizza oven. Maybe something like this. For a first try. Make my form out of sand firebrick floor. I use one of these frequently

And it makes a decent pizza but no better than the first pizza out of my oven with a steel pizza plate. The second is just as good as the first which is not something I can say about my oven. If I wasn’t have to make so much food the Ooni would be my choice followed by the grill top ovens. I’d like to figure out how to use my Solo stove as a pizza oven. Or my cowboy grill for that matter.
Evan

Yeah, the OONI gets high marks and stays hot enough for continuous feeding. I want something portable for gatherings and campouts so this may be the ticket.

Yeah, the OONI gets high marks and stays hot enough for continuous feeding. I want something portable for gatherings and campouts so this may be the ticket.
Gas wood and pellet fuel options (I think) makes it pretty versatile. Get one before they go up in price or outta stock!

I have one of the early models of Ooni (when they were named Uuni). It is a pellet only version. Comes up to temp in 15 minutes and stays there if you keep the door closed. We prep and stretch the dough then pre cook it for 30 to 45 seconds. Take it out and add toppings, put it in for 90 seconds, rotating every 30 seconds. Done, with nice "leopard spotting" on top.
The reason it needs turning so much is that ( at least the early model) it is hotter in the back.
The reason it is so quick is that there is a sheet of flame across the top inside of the oven, inches from the pizza.

There is a bonus to the pellet version: The pizza has a distinct smoked flavor and you can experiment with different pellets. I like apple or maple.

I've been looking at one of the newer ons myself and will probably get the wood/gas combo.

Thanks for the update, just back hear now Oct 2021.
Pizza IMG_4875.jpg
Looking forward to trying this in my F400 castine. Been dialing in my neopolitan pizza skills all summer in the oven. Can't wait to get it going in the woodstove.

Reactions: EbS-P
Update: my sweetie got me an Ooni. It's a whole new ballgame now. This sucker is fast. The pizza is done, with one rotation in 60-75 seconds.
IMG_2044.jpgIMG_2045.jpgIMG_2046.jpg

Looking forward to trying this in my F400 castine. Been dialing in my neopolitan pizza skills all summer in the oven. Can't wait to get it going in the woodstove.
Nice, what recipe did you use for the dough? It puffed up nicely. What flour have you been using?

Last edited:
Poolish starter, plus 2 days in fridge. 1/2 00 flour, 1/2 Ap flour. But it’s all about handling the dough. And pre cooking dough with sauce only. Vito icopelli on YouTube set me on the new path. He’s 3rd generation pizza maker from Italy. I highly recommend checking his videos out if you love pizza.

Poolish starter, plus 2 days in fridge. 1/2 00 flour, 1/2 Ap flour. But it’s all about handling the dough. And pre cooking dough with sauce only. Vito icopelli on YouTube set me on the new path. He’s 3rd generation pizza maker from Italy. I highly recommend checking his videos out if you love pizza.
I see NJ in your member stamp, so I know your not fooling around when you talk pizza, and you know what I mean when I say that.

I grew up with Italian families (even married one). This was inspiring. I will try it in the Ooni.

Yes we love pizza in NJ for sure. The biggest eye opening for me was stretching or rather pressing out the dough ball. Pressing the air into the crust or Cornish. I never saw that anywhere else. That and a whole bunch of other details that make it so much more consistent and just much better than hack methods that compromise on quality and know how.

Also, i don't think Vito does this in his home oven videos, but other guys do talk about is to pre cook the dough and sauce only, on the lowest rack in oven for 4 or so minutes with oven having been preheated at full blast (550F on mine) for about an hour. Then take out pre cooked pizza, move your steel, stone, mesh whatever you are cooking on to Top rack and switch to Broil Hi. Then while that heats up put on your toppings and slide pizza under broiler for about 3 minutes.

Next job is to get this dialed in, inside the Jotul. Will get back if i can get it right and repeatable.

Also, i don't think Vito does this in his home oven videos, but other guys do talk about is to pre cook the dough and sauce only, on the lowest rack in oven for 4 or so minutes with oven having been preheated at full blast (550F on mine) for about an hour. Then take out pre cooked pizza, move your steel, stone, mesh whatever you are cooking on to Top rack and switch to Broil Hi. Then while that heats up put on your toppings and slide pizza under broiler for about 3 minutes.

Next job is to get this dialed in, inside the Jotul. Will get back if i can get it right and repeatable.
This summer a friend and I have been making pizzas in our gas Weber grill by this method. By preheating for 30-40 minutes the stone can be brought up to about 550-600º. The precook takes about 2 minutes, then it is pulled for cheese and toppings. The second cooking is about 3-4 minutes. This method however is not practical with an 800º oven and stone. They use King Arthur's sourdough recipe for the crust and it is pretty good. In some way I think the sourdough starter resembles the poolish.

This thread could go on a long time on just pizza alone. That's more of a topic for the Inglenook.

Yes i've done them also on an old gas grill, and also weber charcoal grill. Sometimes they are awesome some times burnt especially on the charcoal grill which can get super squirly. i've always done it straight on the grates. It's still a bit of a crap shoot for me as i've not done it enough to be dialed in. Still a work in progress, but did 1 once that my buddy said was the best pizza he's ever had. The home grown San marzanos helped for sure, but pretty sure he was just blowing smoke so i'de keep making them. Ha. All good as i love trying out all deferent ways. And love hearing how others are doing it.

Yes, we make our own sauce from our tomatoes (pomidoro squisito this year) and now have an Ooni to bake in. I am still dialing in the crust, so the video was quite helpful.

This thread could go on a long time on just pizza alone. That's more of a topic for the Inglenook.
I see that you started a Pizza thread over in Inglenook this summer. ok will move over there. Thanks

View attachment 283353
Pizza night last night here. Woke up it was 46 degrees this morning. Cooked in the oven last night. Tried my version of a 8 hour poolish… ehhhh. Some things you can’t rush. I need a good trivet or stand for my Dutch oven lid. One that might allow me to add smaller and shorter pieces of wood N-S under it and maybe shield the life from direct heat of the coals. I’ll have to go to my scrap pile and see what I have.

Pizza night last night here. Woke up it was 46 degrees this morning. Cooked in the oven last night. Tried my version of a 8 hour poolish… ehhhh. Some things you can’t rush. I need a good trivet or stand for my Dutch oven lid. One that might allow me to add smaller and shorter pieces of wood N-S under it and maybe shield the life from direct heat of the coals. I’ll have to go to my scrap pile and see what I have.
Yeah, I think 20 hr min.for poolish, then a 2 or 3 day rest in refrigerator for the dough, then make dough balls and let rise for a few hours or more. This is all highly dependent on room temps. In 68-70f in my house it’s not really rising. So I put the dough balls in the oven with just the light on. Getting the right rise is what the neopolitan style is all geared towards. And I find the extra days in refrigerator do much to inhance the flavor of the dough. But we should move all this to the Pizza Thread in Inglenook