How do you stack your in the house???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
5D121AEC-A2AF-4CB4-A625-D5BA6B33C3B0.jpeg
Bought 4 ft rack modified back with piece of sheet metal to keep wall and paint for getting damaged, cheap carpet runner underneath for easy clean up

Last edited by a moderator:
In our former home we kept a wood ring on the extra wide raised hearth. Bark and dust did drop from the bottom onto the hearth, so when it was empty I’d sweep under it with the hearth brush and use the metal coal scoop as a dust pan. We did keep an extra mat on the carpet in front of that spot.

We’ve moved now and don’t have a stove, but we hope to at some point. I’ve already decided that I want something solid bottomed for wood so that I don’t have the sweeping chores quite so often. We had an old wooden chest that I used to use for storage of snow boots, mittens, hats, and the like. That now sits beside our hearth to be put to future use. I can’t say how I’ll like it in the future, but that’s my plan to cut down on mess.

One mess issue you could think about is whether you’re tracking in dirt or mud on your shoes. That was an issue in our situation. My husband was reared in suburbia, and his family doesn’t remove shoes at the door. I grew up on a farm, and we used boots outside and absolutely did not ever bring them inside. It bothered me a lot when my husband brought dirt, mud, leaf debris in on his shoes onto our light colored basement carpeting. We kept wood very close to the house and didn’t need to slog through feet of snow most of the time, so I bought him a pair of garden clogs that he could slip on and off in the downstairs hallway. We also used a tote with sides to keep the chips contained. I brought in most of the wood, by the way, so I knew how easy it was to cause the mess, but we did need to work on ways for my husband to cause less of it.

Find out what particular issues your wife is having and think together about how to minimize them. Wood heat is great but takes some work in more ways than one.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
We have a week of wood on the covered side deck. Just a few feet from the stove. But this threads got me thinking, having the nights wood in the house wound be nice. Maybe 6-8 splits. I'd like a open front rack with a top to hold the cable tv box. Just to the right of the stove.

Anyone see one?

With your door swing in your profile picture, I'd want my wood on the left.

Dave

Under the hall stairs.. Dividend the space into two using an open copper pipe "fence".. Bring in the wood once a week and alternate bins, so that it always has a week to dry off before using ( dry off the surface, the splits are aged in the sun)

I lined the space with galvanized covered plywood, so it would take the abuse

This was easy to build and worked out well for me. Short enclosed 4 inch box at the bottom catches all the wood poop, 3 ft tall holds enough wood for 2 days when fully loaded and i have room to tuck pine cone fire starters in the gap in front and hang various items from the sides. Stained it aint half bad to look at.

sell 005.jpg

One thing I've noticed in which I didn't think about prior to buying a wood stove. Where and how was I going to stack this wood.
The small rack that I I have is very inefficient and I'm making a huge mess (so my wife says). Show me how you store yours!!!

I don’t stack any wood in the house. I stack it out on the covered porch, and only bring inside what I need to load, right then. Wood left in the house is an excellent source of bugs, particularly moths, which will eat your wife’s favorite sweater (or your favorite wool suit, if you still wear ‘em).

Reactions: ksmobile1
Mine is all built-in. When hearth was built by p.o. it was in the middle of the room and featured a 16" (I think) ledge running all the way to the wall, about 8' and stacked 4-5' tall can be a few weeks of wood or more. Now-a-days I cross stack the edge and get a bit more wood by going straight up. That's for the free standing stove. On the other side of my house with a fireplace, the hearth included a little cubby in the brickwork, maybe 2 days of wood, but also the 16" ledge in front of it I can pile up another 3 days of wood if I can stack carefully.

I don't know why people did the minimal 16" ledges and extensions. Ok 16" might have been the old standard but 16" wood stacked on a 16" ledge is still going to spill crap over. Now most of my wood is 18-22". Sticks over the edge all the time, I keep the shopvac plugged in near the stove all winter. I need to replace all the carpeting anyhow... was debating maybe 'outlining' the brick hearth with a couple courses of tile and then carpet.

Also I stack between a half and one cord on the covered porch.

shelburne_finished1_1000.jpg finished3_1000.jpg
rockland.jpg

We use a wood hoop that holds about 4 to 5 days of wood.

Mine is all built-in. When hearth was built by p.o. it was in the middle of the room and featured a 16" (I think) ledge running all the way to the wall, about 8' and stacked 4-5' tall can be a few weeks of wood or more. Now-a-days I cross stack the edge and get a bit more wood by going straight up. That's for the free standing stove. On the other side of my house with a fireplace, the hearth included a little cubby in the brickwork, maybe 2 days of wood, but also the 16" ledge in front of it I can pile up another 3 days of wood if I can stack carefully.

I don't know why people did the minimal 16" ledges and extensions. Ok 16" might have been the old standard but 16" wood stacked on a 16" ledge is still going to spill crap over. Now most of my wood is 18-22". Sticks over the edge all the time, I keep the shopvac plugged in near the stove all winter. I need to replace all the carpeting anyhow... was debating maybe 'outlining' the brick hearth with a couple courses of tile and then carpet.

Also I stack between a half and one cord on the covered porch.

View attachment 222811 View attachment 222809
View attachment 222810
Cool setup, OB. Love the look and I bet all that masonry is a nice thermal battery.

Pretty basic.
20180211_111740.jpg

I don't think I have pictures anywhere.

My main storage is in my basement, and I have a sizable area dedicated to wood storage. I brought wood in the day after Christmas, and I still have a few weeks worth down there. From there, I split what I think needs smaller, and bring up an armful that fills my FP25, usually with a bit extra. I stack that on the hearth extension away from the front of the stove. Sometimes I'll make an extra trip to avoid an early morning trip up the steps with an armload of wood before my morning coffee.

Found a pic on my phone. There's another stack or two to the right of the picture, under my steps. The stove has been replaced with the 30nc. This is after I've burned some. I'll fill it up to where I can just get to the window at the back (which is where the wood comes in).
fe3e9cbb2e5dd0fc7221b22869fcb466.jpg

I have a rack in the attached garage. Built rack from scrap 2x4 generated during demolition of old ZC fireplace unit. Holds close to a face cord. Down to -20dF i can refill from outdoor stacks on weekends in daylight. Colder weather i end up also restocking in the dark on weeknights.

At night i keep enough wood to reload in the am on the hearth. Clear hearth while at work during the day.

I try to open exterior doors as little as possible in heating season, but my wood is dry enough i dont have to worry about bugs in the garage. Also like getting more fuel without having to go outdoors.

Pic does not show crosspiece at top connecting uprights.

20180211_221447-1.jpg

Splits are +/- 16", rack works good.

I love the the awesome pictures and the great conversation.

Here’s how I store wood at the house. On a trailer, on a small flagstone patio, under a covered porch. I suspect folks have been storing their wood in this exact spot, sans trailer, since 1738.

78fdfdbae0995c33824b980a1df1cb9d.jpg

This is about as convenient as it can get, without storing wood in my living room.

One thing I've noticed in which I didn't think about prior to buying a wood stove. Where and how was I going to stack this wood.
The small rack that I I have is very inefficient and I'm making a huge mess (so my wife says). Show me how you store yours!!!
Hoping to make it through a few weeks at a time, plus with no woodshed, best way to make sure we have enough dry.

IMG_20180211_151128144.jpg

wood storage.jpg wood storage1.jpg
This is my setup two tubular steel racks 45 inches tall and 45 inches wide,this usually lasts at least two weeks ,and I have a woodbox outside the door that hols the equivalent. We don't worry about the little mess,shop vac cleans it up in about two minutes. we live 800 feet back in the woods.

Love this topic. Cool to see what everyone does. For me, the stove is in the basement, and placed on a large brick hearth the width of the room. I just stack up the splits on top of the bricks a short distance from the stove (try to obey clearances). Still makes a mess though. One thing I did do to improve moving the wood there was to build a 4 foot by 2 foot box of 1/2" plywood with casters on the bottom. I open the bulkhead, chuck the wood down into the box, and wheel it over to the stove and unload. It keeps some of the mess contained inside the box, and I just keep the box out near the bulkhead door next to the cat boxes and such. They don't seem to mind ...

Reactions: weatherguy