How do you stack your in the house???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One year when I was low on dry wood, I stacked some in the house with a couple fans blowing on it. I could see the indoor humidity rise, on the cheap plastic temp/humidity/pressure unit I have in the room. I did this two different times, for a total of about 2/3 cord. With small splits, the wood went from 25% to 20% in a couple weeks. ==c
071.JPG
16" (I think) ledge running all the way to the wall, about 8' and stacked 4-5' tall can be a few weeks of wood or more. Now-a-days I cross stack the edge and get a bit more wood by going straight up.
222836-5384151783443c3ac491692f73a49f79.jpg
Yeah, why mess around? ;lol >>

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Here’s how I store wood at the house. On a trailer, on a small flagstone patio, under a covered porch. I suspect folks have been storing their wood in this exact spot, sans trailer, since 1738.

View attachment 222887

This is about as convenient as it can get, without storing wood in my living room.

FIrst, where did you get that sweet wagon? I've been looking for something exactly like that.

Second, I use a tote bag from LL Bean. Holds 2 loads worth. I keep a couple weeks worth in the enclosed porch. The bag works well, keeps all of the chips contained and doesn't look too bad.

IMG_1548.JPG

hearth.2141

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bring about 3/4 cord at a time up to the attached carport. Bring in one load at a time with a canvas sling once per day. Store no firewood inside. The bulk storage is a couple hundred feet away.

Attachments

• 31E69327-0436-45F1-ADB5-0E05A36795B8.jpeg
    31E69327-0436-45F1-ADB5-0E05A36795B8.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 282
  • CC62C775-0EFC-422C-AFB5-56F20B332051.jpeg
    CC62C775-0EFC-422C-AFB5-56F20B332051.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 298
FIrst, where did you get that sweet wagon? I've been looking for something exactly like that.

Second, I use a tote bag from LL Bean. Holds 2 loads worth. I keep a couple weeks worth in the enclosed porch. The bag works well, keeps all of the chips contained and doesn't look too bad.

View attachment 222939

hearth.2141
You have a sweet pot under that cabinet to make something to stack 3 days or so worth, just need a few scraps of wood.

Just bring about 3/4 cord at a time up to the attached carport. Bring in one load at a time with a canvas sling once per day. Store no firewood inside. The bulk storage is a couple hundred feet away.
HB- You have some more pictures of the carport from the outside that you can share? Been contemplating adding one to the side of the barn and could use a little inspiration.

Last edited:
HB- You have some more pictures of the carport from the outside that you can share? Been contemplating adding one to the side of the barn and could use a little inspiration.

It’s really an eye sore that was added on to the home in the 70s. Flat roof, ledger board nailed to the table end of the home. I would love to replace it with a proper attached garage of the same size. It’s our primary parking area so everyone knows when we’re not home.

I bring in about an 1/8th cord at a time and leave it in the garage. I also believe that wood can be a good source of bugs. I only bring small amounts in the house.

It’s really an eye sore that was added on to the home in the 70s. Flat roof, ledger board nailed to the table end of the home. I would love to replace it with a proper attached garage of the same size. It’s our primary parking area so everyone knows when we’re not home.
Understood. Many of the houses around here built in the 60's and 70's have carports. All the new ones have garages. We have neither, so a carport would be a nice cheap upgrade.

Reactions: Woody Stover
You have a sweet pot under that cabinet to make something to stack 3 days or so worth, just need a few scraps of wood.

I've thought about that, but I don't want to deal with the mess. I can store 1/3 to 1/2 a cord in the porch, which lasts me a couple weeks when its really cold, and a month in the shoulder. Its only 30 feet from the stove, so its no hassle to grab a bag of wood. If I were to do anything, I might put some wood under there as decoration, but that'd be it. . .

Bolt down a couple 4x4s and hang some T1-11 on the sides, and you could have something that looks like a garage and also is arguably a temporary structure for tax purposes!

Reactions: Ashful
Bolt down a couple 4x4s and hang some T1-11 on the sides, and you could have something that looks like a garage and also is arguably a temporary structure for tax purposes!

The ugliest part is the roofline. Everything is temporary and everything is assessed and taxed in this state! It works. At this stage in my life I consider function over form but maintain things as best I can. My 18 year old truck is another example.

I can store 1/3 to 1/2 a cord in the porch, which lasts me a couple weeks when its really cold, and a month in the shoulder.
That's fantastic. Some of the recommendations you're receiving here are from the perspective of much higher wood usage. I go thru 1/3 to 1/2 cord per week.

That's fantastic. Some of the recommendations you're receiving here are from the perspective of much higher wood usage. I go thru 1/3 to 1/2 cord per week.

Yea, I've seen your posts about the giant stone house (beautiful BTW) and the much higher wood consumption. I started building mine in 2013, and moved in Jan 2016. Heating about 1400 sq' with the keystone, and don't have to go 24/7 unless the highs start to dip into the teens/low twenties. I'm normally running 2 loads per day, and now that its in the 40s, its just one a day. The advantages of strawbale and air sealing!

All that being said, I COULD get more in that porch, and I'd probably run the same bag in the stove room, even if it was 24/7 all winter. At my previous house I had space to store about 1/4 cord near the stove and it was a constant battle to keep clean. My wife would tell you cleaning isn't my best asset, so this is a work free way of doing it. I end up cleaning out the porch area under the wood storage in the spring, after we've put the stove to bed for the season.

Howdy all. I'm a bit nervous posting this because nobody else seems to stack much wood in the house... yikes... Amyway, I generally bring in 2 cord of dry wood come late October or early November. First two pics is 1 cord on the right side of my command post (the chair & foot-stool), and then I stack another cord (3 racks) over on the left side of my command post.... Last picture is the fire just getting started late this morning. I've had to replace 1 cord (the one on my right) which happened on a nice weekend in January with the help of my wife, my buddy, and my tractor, and I'm thinking I might need to bring in one more cord sometime in March... but maybe not... the weather here is definitely starting to feel like Spring.... Cheers

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 257
Howdy all. I'm a bit nervous posting this because nobody else seems to stack much wood in the house... yikes... Amyway, I generally bring in 2 cord of dry wood come late October or early November. First two pics is 1 cord on the right side of my command post (the chair & foot-stool), and then I stack another cord (3 racks) over on the left side of my command post.... Last picture is the fire just getting started late this morning. I've had to replace 1 cord (the one on my right) which happened on a nice weekend in January with the help of my wife, my buddy, and my tractor, and I'm thinking I might need to bring in one more cord sometime in March... but maybe not... the weather here is definitely starting to feel like Spring.... Cheers

I bring 5 to 6 cords into my basement every October. No apparent issues in doing that for the past 20-21 years.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
I bring 5 to 6 cords into my basement every October. No apparent issues in doing that for the past 20-21 years.
Awesome! That's what I was hoping to hear from one or two members. I've never had any bug or mould problems either... That's because I'm one of the "Dry Wood Disciples," converted and baptized by the wonderful church of hearth.net.... :)

I would kill for that amount of wood! We have only olive wood and right now nobody has any seasoned wood left for sale. I am down to my last few logs from previous years and hope that the burning season is soon over. Already I light the stove in the evenings when the sun goes down and the temperature drops.

Wood box built with scrap lumber with a plastic tote inside to catch the dirt and bark. Hooks on the outside for a few tools.
Love the cats soaking up as much heat as possible!

I would kill for that amount of wood!
I'll take you up on that offer. I have some extra wood for ya, and I need a couple people killed. ;lol I'll send you the details in a conversation. ;)
001.JPG
We have only olive wood and right now nobody has any seasoned wood left for sale. I am down to my last few logs from previous years and hope that the burning season is soon over.
That's cutting it close..hope you don't have to fire up the backup heat too much before it gets warmer out.

Reactions: Stella
Love the setup, Chuck. I do think you should treat yourself to a little more comfortable setup in front of the stove. Maybe a large area rug for you and the pooches. You deserve it!

Love the setup, Chuck. I do think you should treat yourself to a little more comfortable setup in front of the stove. Maybe a large area rug for you and the pooches. You deserve it!
Thanks Ed! I'll have the wife read your recommendation before we start shopping (you forgot to mention a new recliner....) ;-)

Thanks Ed! I'll have the wife read your recommendation before we start shopping (you forgot to mention a new recliner....) ;-)
YES! I didn't want to be too presumptuous, but a recliner would be wonderful, too. Put a rustic wood round next to it to set your beverage on, and, you, with your furry friends enjoying the new rug, and a fire in the stove that's an oasis down there.

LOL... :) That's a tight squeeze there in the closet... but the wood by the stove looks darn good to me! :)