How do you start the fire in your wood burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong? If so, what should I do?

Sell your stove & get a boiler or furnace?

EDIT: I don't think anyone posting here is burning green or wet wood, either...

Reactions: flyingcow
heat treated 0% MC lumber cut into 2x2 chunks, cardboard, and a pump or 3 of dollar store hand sanitizer. Add wood, walk away.

Rutland One Match liquid fire starter is hand sanatizer btw. MSDS is liquefied alcohol. The more you know.

I use one of the home made "egg crate/sawdust/candle wax" fire starters if I'm gone long enough that there's no coals left. Never need to use kindling with them, as they're more than hot enough, and they last at least 10 minutes.

Reactions: flyingcow
Sell your stove & get a boiler or furnace?

EDIT: I don't think anyone posting here is burning green or wet wood, either...

It. Was. A. Joke.

I asked this question because I'm about out of kindling and gathering kindling is a PIA. Tried starting a fire using a propane torch with just a handful of kindling along with couple sheets of newspaper and cardboard and that worked pretty well. Never thought of using pine cones but I will give that a try (next season). I'll also try a top down fire and see how that works. I'll also try hand sanitizer. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

Reactions: j7art2
Status
Not open for further replies.