How Does This Chimney Look?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I realize I probably should have swept the chimney since I took the time to get onto the roof and remove the cap. I also realize this chimney is in a condition that warrants sweeping. But, since this is my first year burning wood, I'm trying to learn the difference between...nothing to worry about vs. looking for trouble

So, what to you folks think about the condition of this?

Attachments

• Chimney - 1.jpg
    Chimney - 1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Chimney - 2.jpg
    Chimney - 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Chimney - 3.jpg
    Chimney - 3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Chimney - 4.jpg
    Chimney - 4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 226
Looks pretty good for mid-season. How much wood have you run through the flue so far?

Not so bad. I dont see a lot of glaze and looks to be what, 1/8 of an inch build up? How long since the last cleaning?

BeGreen said:
Looks pretty good for mid-season. How much wood have you run through the flue so far?

Some where between 1.5 and 2.0 cord...probably closer to 2.0

Franks said:
Not so bad. I dont see a lot of glaze and looks to be what, 1/8 of an inch build up? How long since the last cleaning?

This is my first season with a new install. So, I have not yet cleaned it since I first fired it up. I'm hoping to make it through the entire season before I will have to clean it.

fdegree said:
Franks said:

This is my first season with a new install. So, I have not yet cleaned it since I first fired it up. I'm hoping to make it through the entire season before I will have to clean it.

You'll be fine. Do you open her up and let the stove burn hot once in a while?

fdegree said:
... since this is my first year burning wood, I'm trying to learn the difference between...nothing to worry about vs. looking for trouble

So, what to you folks think about the condition of this?

Nothing to worry about.

Man, you really gotta love those cat stoves when they are burning right. If my masonry chimney looked like that today I'd be dancing a jig. Of course, I put more than twice as much wood through mine so far, but still...

Nice job!

BeGreen said:
You'll be fine. Do you open her up and let the stove burn hot once in a while?

During the first cord, I did burn it hot occasionally. But, recently I have been closing the bypass and turning the t'stat down earlier in the start-up of a reload...in an attempt to conserve the wood. Not sure how this practice is impacting the cat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.