How far ahead are you really???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood that counts must be cut,split,n stacked, seasoned or not

Reactions: raybonz and ScotO
I live on a .12 acre lot in a small town with lots of trees and mountains all around so wood isnt to far away but I have limited space to store it. I even built a wood rack to hold half a cord in my dogs pen (I told my wife I needed to give the dog shade but I was looking for the south winds to blow through the stack and needed the space). Today I just finished cutting for the year and have on my property just over 5 cords of c,s,s Larch with some Lodgepole Pine. All of it was cut by me and hauled by my wife and I within a 5-10 minute drive from our house. Today I went into the bush and bucked up a half cord of Larch and hauled it back to the yard where I unloaded it and split it along with another half cord of Larch rounds I picked up the other day. The family got involved today and helped stack and run the splitter until the job was done. I figure that when spring 2014 comes around we will be 1-2 cords ahead for the following year. If I needed good dry wood to burn now I would have 3/4 of a cord of Larch and Pine.

Waitaminnit... aren't you the guy who said he had no wood stove, Thistle?

No wood stove but I do have an older unknown insert which works quite nicely...

I have nothing.... I have about 1 1/2 cord split and stacked. I'm not quite sure when it will be ready. It is in a windy sunny area and is split not too big. i have at least 1 cord of rounds that I still need to get to when I can. I guess I will get a moisture meter by the fall in order to test out what is currently split. So I am behind the 8 ball for now...

It looks like we have the whole gamut of situations here, from the totally prepared to the totally unprepared. And seasoning based on species can be a little complicating. Like that huge white oak tree that one couple has down on their land. Land clearing takes time. Scrounging is hit or miss, buying from craigslist is usually a ripoff. A gamble at best.
In NY log trucks sell cords for $100.00 per cord.
Maybe if I can get $700.00 from somewhere, I can get 7-8 cords of logs dropped off. A summer project to stay out of the woods with.
Maybe..

No wood stove but I do have an older unknown insert which works quite nicely...
It is time you stepped up to a clean burning EPA stove eh? ;)

Ray

I have nothing.... I have about 1 1/2 cord split and stacked. I'm not quite sure when it will be ready. It is in a windy sunny area and is split not too big. i have at least 1 cord of rounds that I still need to get to when I can. I guess I will get a moisture meter by the fall in order to test out what is currently split. So I am behind the 8 ball for now...
Hmmm you need to step up your game Rambo! .. :)

Ray

Reactions: blujacket
Hmmm you need to step up your game Rambo! .. :)

Ray
Rambo Ha!
Too funny... Yeah, I didn't start collecting wood until a few weeks after Hurricane Sandy hit us, I needed to keep my family warm with not having electricity for over a week, so I tried burning in the fireplace and low and behold it did not do much...
Now that I have my insert and as I move forward, I am headed in the right direction, I have a decent amount split for my needs in 2014 and I'm in the process of trying to get ahead. But when and if I do get ahead, I will think like Rambo.....

Sun dried cherries Rambo style.... You got me thinking Ray, I split a small batch of cherry today and have them baking in the sun, I split one a few weeks ago and it seems dry as that was in the shade. But anyways, I'm trying to get ahead, whatever it takes... image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: raybonz
Sun dried cherries Rambo style.... You got me thinking Ray, I split a small batch of cherry today and have them baking in the sun, I split one a few weeks ago and it seems dry as that was in the shade. But anyways, I'm trying to get ahead, whatever it takes...View attachment 102884 View attachment 102884 View attachment 102885 View attachment 102886
Great wood for smoking too.. Be sure to grab some pallets and get that wood off the ground Rambo.. ;)

Ray

Great wood for smoking too.. Be sure to grab some pallets and get that wood off the ground Rambo.. ;)

Ray
Will do, I'm a rack man these days, it's on order and will be filled shortly after I get it and prep it, I had a good day of hand splitting....image.jpg

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.