How far out can a chimney be from side of house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillmeadow

Apr 20, 2010
Morrisonville, NY
Hello Everyone,

My problem. This is a thru-the-wall installation using an 8" chimney. The exterior chimney must go up the side of the house and either pass through the rake edge of the roof which has about a 12" overhang or I can consider mounting some 8" x 8" blocks to the side of the house and then mount all my required chimney supports to them and effectively shim the chimney out from the side of the house by about 14" using adjustable chimney supports so when it passes the rake edge of the roof it clears it by the 2" minimum.

None of the adjustable supports I've seen adjust far enough from the house to meet my need without adding some hefty blocking to the house wall first.

There must be a practical limit as to how far out to shim a chimney from the wall, or a code limit. Does anyone have the practical experience, advice, or knowledge of the code if one applies? Might the limit simply be the maximum extension of the manufacturer's adjustable wall support and additional blocking of any thickness is not allowed?

I'm using Selkirk's Platinum Series, MetalBest, UltraTemp chimney and have a standing seam metal roof with a 13/12 pitch. Not really enthused about cutting a hole in the rake and trying to seal the flashing this time of year. Another consideration is we plan to remodel next year and the chimney will move, but the hole in the standing seam metal roof will remain and holes look like heck when you patch them. That's the primary reason for trying to get creative without getting too stupid ;-)

Thanks!

Mark

PS. For those of you who live in old houses which may have areas of the floor that are weak and are about to bring in their 500 lb plus soapstone stove, check out the floor joists in the cellar first if you can. After we set our stove down in its temporary location I immediately felt a difference in the floor when I walked near the stove. Sure enough, it was sitting on exactly the weakest area of the living room floor and it was quite possible it would have been in the cellar the next morning. A 4 x 4 post is now supporting what before only 5 nails did!

Two options normally done here are to either notch the overhang and box it in or use an offset kit from the pipe mfg that consists of a pair of 30 dg elbows and a locking brace. Personally I like the notch better.

I'll use the notch method, the picture really helped clarify it. How to patch it when I move the chimney will be a summer problem. For now, I just want to get warm!

Thanks for your help BeGreen.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.