How long for new Blaze King paint to cure/smell/smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 7, 2016
NJ
Had the first fire in my new BK Ashford 30.
It had a good amount of smoke coming off the whole top/sides of the firebox last night. Left it burning on low all night with the windows open. This morning the smoke is much less but the smell is still there. If anyone can tell me how normal this is I would appreciate it. Otherwise we are very happy with the stove. The finish and attention to detail are outstanding. The stove really is a high quality product. Even the way it was crated and shipped was impressive. I could not find one blemish, scratch, Nick, ... nothing. It arrived in pristine condition.

With our BK insert it was just the first few fires. After that I had some smell the first time I got it really hot after those initial break in fires. Though that time it wasn’t nearly as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can take some time to get the entire stove hot enough to cure the paint and burn off the oils from the factory. Remember that when you are burning on low, most of your heat is coming from the catalyst itself at the top of the stove. So the top may be cured, but you need to get the cooler parts of the stove (like the sides towards the bottom) up to temperature to complete the curing process. Load the stove full and turn the stove on high for 6 hours or so today. Your room will get warm and you may need to open the windows but you will get the process over with.

You'll probably get mixed opinions on this because BK switched to a less-stinky paint.

They used to use Stove Bright, which was pretty strong.

No matter what kind of paint it is, finish your break-in fires. Then burn a load on high with the windows open, and you should be done with stove stink.

Reactions: Sawset
I have a 1 month old BK Princess insert. Barely smell the paint burn in, and as stated above, the new BK paint is far less off gassing. Highest I have had the temp was 600 and that barely was noticeable. Never had to open a window or door. Yours should cure quickly.

My new Princess smoked a lot for about an hour when I installed it on Saturday. Had to open all the windows/doors in the house. Strong smell, and a lot of visible smoke. I ran a small fire on medium on the thermostat. Nothing since though.

Ashford 25 smoked a bit the first fire. Is your liner/chimney new. That stuff smokes too. Open some windows. Let crank. It will be s memory

After 2 or 3 it should be mostly gone but once its gets frigid and you run it hotter you may get it one more time. Nothing to worry about we've all been through it.

No matter what kind of paint it is, finish your break-in fires. Then burn a load on high with the windows open, and you should be done with stove stink.