How many cords do you burn per winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
How many cords do you burn per winter. Please list all details that you care to. Stove type, wood type, House square feet, age, insulation, climate of your area, I'm especially interested in those who use only wood with no other heat source.

mtcates said:
How many cords do you burn per winter. Please list all details that you care to. Stove type, wood type, House square feet, age, insulation, climate of your area, I'm especially interested in those who use only wood with no other heat source.

This is our first year burning, we have the lopi liberty installed in the basement heating 1750 sq. ft. up and close to the same downstairs. The basement and house are well insulated.

Stove type - Lopi Liberty with blower
Wood burned since install in April of 09- Cherry 8.50 face cord & 2 face cord of Hard Maple.
Climate this year has been warmer compared with previous years.
We also have a pellet stove - Bought 2 ton (100 bags) in 09.

Zap

Reactions: Jacon Construction
8-10 per year. I have 2 stoves (an Oslo & Castine) and heat 4850 sq.ft with the 2 stoves and a couple of oil filled radiators. I also heat the barn with a barrel stove which accounts for 10-20% of the total consumption. the house is 8 years old and is well insulated.
Joe

2200 sq ft house, 4 - 8 cord a year, most of it in Winter.

Hi -

~4 cords/year. 2200 square foot well insulated Ranch in Great Lakes region. Gas bill was $6 for January. I should have a little larger stove. I run the the VC Resolute Acclaim nearly all the time.

Zap, you had me going there. Heating about 3500 sq.ft. with that Lopi. Wow! Great stove! Magic stove. Then you casually drop:

zapny said:
We also have a pellet stove - Bought 2 ton (100 bags) in 09.

Oh, a pellet stove as well. Does that help at all? :cheese: JK

We have a basement install. No other heat source used. Total sq. ft., upstairs and down, about 2200'. Used about 4 cord/year to stay chilly over the last 18 winters burning in a clone of the Jotul 118, will likely burn about 5 cord in our first year using a different stove, an older non-EPA Vermont Castings stove to stay a toasty (for us) 72º.

Finally, enough gun.

2700 sqft 10 cords 3 year in a row and heating dhw

3000 sq ft, lots of glass, windy ridge, no furnace. 7-8 cord down from 10-12 cord the past few years. Everything from pine to locust is in my wood pile.

1-2 cords per year, supplementary heat to the NG furnace, heating 1,100 sq. ft.

mtcates said:

2nd year of burning: 5-6 cords (mostly hardwood, but none of the top of the line stuff like oak, some softwood)

Jotul Oslo

1,800 square foot, Built 1978, Cape, moderate insulation . . . 3 of the 4 walls are 2x4 construction

Climate: Central Maine -- what more can I say. It could be worse . . . could be better.

I don't heat exclusively with wood since I do have an oil boiler and thermostats set at 60 degrees . . . that said, it is a fairly uncommon occurence to hear the boiler kick on in the winter . . . usually only if we've been gone for most of the day or in the morning in middle of January when the temps are sub-zero. I used less than a quarter tank of oil last year . . . ditto for this year.

2159 sq ft of living space.

This year 5 cords, two stoves and 350 gallons of oil.

Next year 8 cords, three stoves and less than 100 gallons of oil.

5 cord last year 3.5 this winter, burning 24/7 no stopping for clean outs even, 2250 sqft colonial

This hundred year old house is about 1,400 sf with a well insulated attic but crappy windows. We have the Jotul Oslo and burn only wood now. Last year from Oct. through April we used just shy of 5 cord of mostly oak, locust and maple. This year it is looking to be about the same. The temp. never drops below 68 degrees in here but is typically around 74. I don't stop for a cleanout either and burn 24/7.

It's my first year, I've burned 3 2/3 cords at last measure since the first week of November burning 24/7. Between learning the stove and burning less then perfect wood we've used more wood then I think we'll use next year. I plan on 5 cords a year and that will be starting earlier then November in future years.

I've used about 200 gallons of propane(heat and DHW) since November and keep the furnace set for 70*. If I set the furnace for 60* it would probably never run but we have a 10 month old in the house so we keep it warm all the time.

House was built in 1980, is about 1950 sq feet, windows replaced in 2005, attic insulation is good, I'm sure the wall insulation leaves some to be desired.

I'll finish off the season with about 6 cords burned and so far about 30 gallons of oil, a face cord of Heineken, a few gallons of whiskey and brandy.
Burned about a cord of Cherry otherwise mostly all Oak.
Climate is the coast of South Jersey and temps were a bit under the average for the year.
Home was built in 1972 and the insulation I can only guess and say below average.
Heating with a Fisher Grandma Bear with 2 fans to draw the heat from where the stove is. Home is around 1700 sq ft.

I didnt install my stove til nov 25th so this will be a little skewed but Ive gone through close to 3 cords heating a 2900 sf home with my BZ princess insert, Ive also used over 200 gallons of oil but I didnt use wood til nov 25th and I was still learning the basics of woodburning as this was my first year. Ill get a better idea next year. I had the house built in 1994 so its pretty well insulated.

hareball said:
I'll finish off the season with about 6 cords burned and so far about 30 gallons of oil, a face cord of Heineken, a few gallons of whiskey and brandy.
Burned about a cord of Cherry otherwise mostly all Oak.
Climate is the coast of South Jersey and temps were a bit under the average for the year.
Home was built in 1972 and the insulation I can only guess and say below average.
Heating with a Fisher Grandma Bear with 2 fans to draw the heat from where the stove is. Home is around 1700 sq ft.

+1...sweet...only a facecord of heineken? I liked that one!

This is is my first year, so I will estimate what i think will be the final tally.
2500 Sq Ft, Good insulation, ok windows.
Jotul Rockland. I undersized the stove so i will also use about a 1/2 tank of oil and 5 cords of wood.

3 cords the last 4 winters burning 24/7, heating 1800sq ft total (over 70) including finished basement where WS Fireview is installed. Insulation is good with new windows 2 years ago.

Between 5-6 cords of wood for two stoves, Hearthstone Heritage and Jotul 3cb. I burned sugar maple, oak, hickory, elm and ash this year. I have a 120 year old house heating 2496 sq feet. We have a NG furnace that is set to 60 degrees. Most days it doesn't kick on.

3 cords in the Fireview. 6 or more cords before we bought the Fireview.

2.5 cords with one Fireview, added a 2nd Fireview last summer and this heating season with both looks to be right at 3 cords total.
I only run them both when the outside temps will not exceed 15F. ~1500 sq ft in south central Minnesota, 100+ year old house with newer windows,doors and insulation.

We have a Regency I1200 insert which has a pretty small burn box. Our house is about 740 sq. ft. on each of 2 stories. There are two sliding glass doors and large window space. Built in 2002 up to code. We have a propane furnace that we have to use because we will be charged a rental fee on the tank if we don't use 400 gallons/year. I have tried to burn 24/7 as much as possible. We run the thermostat at between 62 and 64 for the furnace. We have Maple (both hard and soft) and Beech for firewood and have gone through between 6 and 7 cords since October. We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where winters are long, but this year has been milder than many. I am surprised by how little some are able to burn and keep their houses warm!

With the Vermont Casting cat stove I had I used to burn 2.5 cords to heat my house.
This year we changed to a Woodstock Fireview and now I am going to burn 3.25 cords. The bloomin thing consumes wood and doesn't throw any heat. I am very disappointed.

mtcates said:

This winter could be 2.5 to 3.0 cords. thats using the stove most or the time , the oil set at 65.Wood is oak & hunny loacust.it could of been seasoned more(alot more). Stove is the jotul F400 in the den/dinning area.the hose is a ranch.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.