How Many Cords On Your Property?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1cord of wood
4 x 4 x 8 in feet
1219.200 x1219.200 x 2438.400 in MM
Canada eh

Reactions: AlbergSteve
1 cord = 3.6 steres
Now, for milligrams...:rolleyes:
If I were buying/selling cord wood where you are, what units would be used? How about in neighboring countries. Is it metric or something else. Do people still use these "stere's"?

Reactions: Alpine1
Pass the Horton’s cruller.
Sorry not a Timmes fan you will have to get your Own
How about in neighboring countries. Is it metric or something else.
Up in the Great White North, we use Cord Unless you are French than its a rick Or if there English is not good it's a Chord

If I were buying/selling cord wood where you are, what units would be used? How about in neighboring countries. Is it metric or something else. Do people still use these "stere's"?
In Italy, France and Spain wood is sold by weight in quintals (1 quintal = 100 kilograms) but in Northern Europe is sold by volume in steres. Almost all Europe went metric a long time ago. The only European country that still uses some imperial units is the UK, in this being similar to Canada I suppose but I don’t know if wood is sold by the cord or some other unit there.

In Italy, France and Spain wood is sold by weight in quintals (1 quintal = 100 kilograms) but in Northern Europe is sold by volume in steres. Almost all Europe went metric a long time ago. The only European country that still uses some imperial units is the UK, in this being similar to Canada I suppose but I don’t know if wood is sold by the cord or some other unit there.
When I lived in the Netherlands, firewood was sold in cubic meters. I lived in a county with lots of fruit trees, so plenty access to firewood.

Yep! 1 stere = 1 cubic meter
...but with air between sticks

So it just depends on what it's applied to. A cord is for firewood. A stere is for firewood. No-one would ever say they have a 100% solid chunk of 128cuft of wood. They would say they have a cord (128ft3 of split cord wood). Firewood sold by quintals - weight? If I remember there is a law requiring 20% or less moisture to keep that under control?

Some of us are just getting grumpy because we haven’t been able to light the stove since March.

Others like myself were more fortunate. We didn’t have to shut down until May...

We were burning in July!

So it just depends on what it's applied to. A cord is for firewood. A stere is for firewood. No-one would ever say they have a 100% solid chunk of 128cuft of wood. They would say they have a cord (128ft3 of split cord wood). Firewood sold by quintals - weight? If I remember there is a law requiring 20% or less moisture to keep that under control?
Timber is sold by the cubic meter, firewood in quintals (I.e. by weight) or steres in other countries. There WAS a project law for the 20% moisture content, but it never happened... we still depend on the seller honesty. Of course, if we buy early in the season (mid April to mid May) we pay less for the same wood weight, while prices tend to climb as we get nearer to the burning season. But this is no guarantee pertaining wood dryness.

How was the transition from the Liira to the Euro?
Not easy at all... at the time, 1 € was 1,936.27 Italian liras, so to make calculations easy everybody went for 1€=2,000£
The result has been a net price increase, while wages were very exact with the exchange. Now, 17 years later, we’re still struggling to cope with that. Many European countries don’t want to join the Euro stupid thing even today. And they’re probably right, but this has nothing to do with firewood, stoves and the like...

Reactions: SpaceBus
Not easy at all... at the time, 1 € was 1,936.27 Italian liras, so to make calculations easy everybody went for 1€=2,000£
The result has been a net price increase, while wages were very exact with the exchange. Now, 17 years later, we’re still struggling to cope with that. Many European countries don’t want to join the Euro stupid thing even today. And they’re probably right, but this has nothing to do with firewood, stoves and the like...

Indeed, back on topic, what is the cost of a cubic meter of firewood in Italy? I moved to Vicenza when I was a teenager after my mom remarried. This was a bit after the switch (March 2003), so some prices were listed in both currencies. I didn't see any wood stoves in any of the houses, but Vicenza has fairly mild winters. Well, with the exception of our local farm to table restaurant with a wood fired oven! For the three years my step-dad lived in Vicenza he rarely saw snow. I only spent one full winter in Vicenza and it snowed only once.

So if:
1cord = 3.6 stere's
In Norway, one favn = 6ft (1fathom)
1favn firewood = 2.4 stere's
If I have 15-20 cord on the place, then it would be 54-72 stere's in France or Italy, or 22-30 favns in Norway. How many quintels depends on seller honesty.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
As we say at work....this conversation has gone deep down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: JimBear
Indeed, back on topic, what is the cost of a cubic meter of firewood in Italy?
Good question... since it is sold by weight I can tell you that:
1 quintal of hardwood (oak, beech, black locust or hornbeam) cut, split and delivered to your door goes for 13/14 euros. 1 stere meter of hardwood is 6.5 quintals give or take.
Softwoods aren’t usually sold, since the price would be ridicolous: 6/7 € for one quintal, not even enough to pay for the delivery.
OTOH lumber is positively sold by the cubic meter (standing trees) and goes from 40€ per cubic meter for pine or spruce to 60€ for larch. At least where I live here on the Alps...

Good question... since it is sold by weight I can tell you that:
1 quintal of hardwood (oak, beech, black locust or hornbeam) cut, split and delivered to your door goes for 13/14 euros. 1 stere meter of hardwood is 6.5 quintals give or take.
Softwoods aren’t usually sold, since the price would be ridicolous: 6/7 € for one quintal, not even enough to pay for the delivery.
OTOH lumber is positively sold by the cubic meter (standing trees) and goes from 40€ per cubic meter for pine or spruce to 60€ for larch. At least where I live here on the Alps...

That's about the same price as hardwood around here. A Quintal is about 1/10 of a cord. Pretty slick way to measure it I think. Some folks here load their stoves based on weight instead of volume. This being possible because firewood averages 7,000 btu per pound or 15,400 btu/kg. How do sellers weigh the wood? Is it more of an estimation?

No estimation allowed! Sellers weigh their trucks before and after loading, and the delivery bill clearly show:
Weight before loading
Weight after loading
Weight of wood
Cost per quintal
Total cost of the wood delivered
Scales must be approved by the office of units and measures. This insures that you pay the actual weight you ordered, but says nothing about wood quality... alas

No estimation allowed! Sellers weigh their trucks before and after loading, and the delivery bill clearly show:
Weight before loading
Weight after loading
Weight of wood
Cost per quintal
Total cost of the wood delivered
Scales must be approved by the office of units and measures. This insures that you pay the actual weight you ordered, but says nothing about wood quality... alas
wow, far different than here!

No estimation allowed! Sellers weigh their trucks
So, it is in their interest to deliver all wood as green and wet as humanly possible? Weight is the most stupid method of measuring wood volume or btu that I can imagine. In fact, it is almost in direct opposition to what you want.

So, it is in their interest to deliver all wood as green and wet as humanly possible? Weight is the most stupid method of measuring wood volume or btu that I can imagine. In fact, it is almost in direct opposition to what you want.
Green wood also shrinks making volume measurements inaccurate as well. Home Depot got sued due to the fact that a 2x4 nominal board does not measure two inches by four inches actual. Cubic feet is a very stupid way of measuring wood, it's just what we are used to in the United States.

Both sistems have shortcomings: if you buy by weight, you’re prone to pay more and have green (or somehow wet) wood but the measurements are very exact.
If you buy by volume, measurements are estimated (with all the errors implied) and the wood can be green as well.
There was a European project to sell wood by the KW, in order to promote the use of less “noble” firewood, but it ended in nothing.
To summarize: wether you buy by weight or volume, buy from a reputable seller or, like most of us here on hearth.com do, harvest and season your own.

I contacted a cousin to get his opinion -
60 liter, 22kg, 85kroner
$580/cord
2900lb/cord
Everything is more expensive there.
Just about everyone has a stove.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-04-16-27-01.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-04-16-27-01.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Reactions: Alpine1