How much is too much wood for suburban neighborhood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for all the posts on this thread...it's truly inspired me to stack a full 5 cords in my backyard starting this spring when I get my wood delivered. My wife's already asking me why we need that much wood in the yard:( But I'm doing it anyway...burn on brothers:)

Thanks for all the posts on this thread...it's truly inspired me to stack a full 5 cords in my backyard starting this spring when I get my wood delivered. My wife's already asking me why we need that much wood in the yard[emoji20] But I'm doing it anyway...burn on brothers:)

I track my heating costs on a spreadsheet, and can plot it in terms of dollars per day, dollars per heating degree day, and even dollars/day vs. HDD/day (wrap your head around that!). This enables me to show yearly trends, as the result of changes I’ve made to my setup, all normalized to our typical 5000 HDD year.

Your wife might develop some appreciation for this affliction, if you’re able to show it in these terms... what you’re saving each year. Mine didn’t, in the least, but yours might.

I track my heating costs on a spreadsheet, and can plot it in terms of dollars per day, dollars per heating degree day, and even dollars/day vs. HDD/day (wrap your head around that!). This enables me to show yearly trends, as the result of changes I’ve made to my setup, all normalized to our typical 5000 HDD year.

Your wife might develop some appreciation for this affliction, if you’re able to show it in these terms... what you’re saving each year. Mine didn’t, in the least, but yours might.

In another post you mentioned you drink a lot of beer. How do you combine these 2 activities?

Excel and beer don’t mix. If one tracked their beer preferences via spreadsheet, there would be less need for frequent re-sampling, and we don’t want that.

BTW, I actually don’t drink a lot of beer, by quantity. What I meant is I drink a lot of “beers”, by variety. I sample a different 10 oz. pour almost every day, but just one.

... and we have officially de-railed.

Thanks for all the posts on this thread...it's truly inspired me to stack a full 5 cords in my backyard starting this spring when I get my wood delivered. My wife's already asking me why we need that much wood in the yard:( But I'm doing it anyway...burn on brothers:)
my wife told me we had enough wood... then I asked her if she would like to continue to have the house at 54º :)

of course the wood area is the only spot that is flat, so maybe she wanted the kids to play there or something

my wife told me we had enough wood... then I asked her if she would like to continue to have the house at 54º :)

of course the wood area is the only spot that is flat, so maybe she wanted the kids to play there or something

Tell her that playing kickball on a hill builds character.

Tell her that playing kickball on a hill builds character.
we prefer extreme bocce golf over the firewood/log teeter totter surrounded by rusted out car parts and wild rose prickers... in flip flops of course
X8S6GgIeM-uWSwS1jaVYe-J0FwNCwLQQzpv2qz7ZADcrrnYG-WkDpBpCbTYgnZwhneav5cjmtiTdsjWJ6Ci=w441-h588-no.jpg

Excel and beer might not match but splitting wood and beer do. Lol. I do my best work in the yard when I've had a few ;)

... and your wife calls you “stumpy”?

Full disclosure, I’ve split wood on Mad Elf, on a few occasions. A man has to do something to keep warm, when it’s 10F.