How Much Wood per Truckload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike.O

Burning Hunk
Dec 20, 2017
Trying to estimate my stash. Moved 13 loads like this so far with about 3 to go.

6'9" F250 Bed loaded as seen, tailgate down. All rounds with larger rounds split into manageable sizes. Neatly stacked. Rated payload of 3400 lbs.... trucks sagging pretty good

I'm guessing around 2/3 cord per load, maybe a hair under....

Firewood Load1.png
Firewood Load2.png

Well your truck bed is about 68 cubic feet. So i would say you have 80 to 90 cubic feet there.

There is a link to a cord calculator in the “Sticky Threads” section of “The Wood Shed” forum. It’s the third one down. It’s very handy. Sounds like you have been busy.

When I load my 6 1/2 ft. box like that it works out to
just over 1/2 a cord Or a cord every 2 loads

Well your truck bed is about 68 cubic feet. So i would say you have 80 to 90 cubic feet there.
Thanks for the replies! You are right Bholler, I never thought to look up the manufacturer's volume of the cargo box and it is 65 CF. I would say the avg height above the top rail is 10"', so maybe an additional 20-25 CF. I think you're spot on on the 80-90 CF estimate.

There is a link to a cord calculator in the “Sticky Threads” section of “The Wood Shed” forum. It’s the third one down. It’s very handy. Sounds like you have been busy.
Lol, I know the volume of a cord. Yes, very busy. Was chasing the Eversorce (Utility Co.) tree clearing guys around and loading up. Then ran into their log truck loading out logs and got him to drop a load in my driveway!

Anyone find a noticeable difference in rounds vs splits. I would assume a load of rounds would net slightly more after split and stacked, as they could never be stacked as tight? Or would it be negligible because the void space between the rounds would be larger than the splits?

I found I can fit more in a truck with rounds than splits, splits take up more space.

2 ways of looking at it.

Splits take more room, but less airspace if properly hand laid vs tossed.

Rounds take less room is hand laid in stacked.

You will fit more per cubic foot if it is split and stacked neatly in.

Saying you have 80-90cu ft of wood with those rounds I'd say is a little overestimating...

Trying to estimate my stash. Moved 13 loads like this so far with about 3 to go.

6'9" F250 Bed loaded as seen, tailgate down. All rounds with larger rounds split into manageable sizes. Neatly stacked. Rated payload of 3400 lbs.... trucks sagging pretty good

I'm guessing around 2/3 cord per load, maybe a hair under....

View attachment 234888 View attachment 234889

Looks like a couple of handsome Rickies there.

One method I used years ago to cut the rounds double length of my splits. I would then stand the rounds on ends like match sticks in the bed.
This made quick work of getting wood from the side of the road fast. On the other hand I do recall my back was a little sore , so this may not be good for large rounds. Just one method that maybe of use to someone on this site.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/todays-black-locust-haul.119238/#post-1596068

Last edited: