How quickly should glass get dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys appreciate the help here! Bought my house with a Quadra Fire Classic Bay pellet stove 2 years ago. Previous owners said it didn't work but I fixed it that first year. Got busy with remodeling so this is the first winter we're really running her constantly!

Anyway I am curious how quickly the glass should get dirty. I cleaned the stove and the glass completely 3 days ago. The stove has rna about 36 hrs (12 hrs a day) since.

Attached some photos of the ash buildup on the glass. You can see where the air wash is washing it away in the middle but not the sides much.

Gaskets are all tight. Is this normal? Or should I expect the glass to stay cleaner longer?

Thanks all

20220107_162846.jpg 20220107_162849.jpg

Depends on the pellets too. Last pellets I burned the glass would be plugged solid in a day or less. Current pellets I can still see through the glass 2 weeks later before I clean it.

I don't have the same stove. I have the Castile model and would consider that normal for my stove.

There are a few factors that affect how clean the glass will stay
The intensity of the fire hot = cleaner.
Type of pellets top of the line = cleaner glass
How good the air wash is, also affects the glass
The build-up you have after 36 hours I would say is better than average
to average
How clean the glass stays is not important to me the heat I get from
every pound of pellets is

It can vary stove but stove. My glass on my pp130 would be similar to yours. My ussc 6500 gets dirty about twice as fast.

The cleaner the stove the longer the glass will stay clean due to cleaner/more efficient burning of pellets

It should be noted you don't always have to do a full glass cleaning. When stove is off,or even on low, you can take a DRY smooth cloth and wipe glass down,and get it mostly clean.Now I do use the Rutland glass cleaner,which leaves a coating, so perhaps this is why I can do this.

Thanks all for your input here! Makes me feel better, glad this is about normal. Just trying to have the right expectations :)

Reactions: Mt Bob
Agree with the other posts and I would also add that it looks like the air wash slot is a bit clogged on your stove. It happens. See if you can find the slot where the air comes in and clean it out with a thin piece of wood or plastic.

Ken

On my Harman P43 my glass doesn't get dirty at all, to my Suprise. I scrape the pot at least twice per day, but only shut down once per week to vacuum out the stove and do a more thorough cleaning, including cleaning the glass. Usually, there is just one circular spot about the size of a silver dollar in the upper right corner that has anything on it at all and the rest of the glass stays nice and clean. I use softwood pellets, Matra white pine or AWF white pine.

This is my first season with the P43, the past 11 years with an Englander EP25, the glass would get pretty dirty and need cleaning every day, similar to your photo, even with the soft wood.

On my Harman P43 my glass doesn't get dirty at all, to my Suprise. I scrape the pot at least twice per day, but only shut down once per week to vacuum out the stove and do a more thorough cleaning, including cleaning the glass. Usually, there is just one circular spot about the size of a silver dollar in the upper right corner that has anything on it at all and the rest of the glass stays nice and clean. I use softwood pellets, Matra white pine or AWF white pine.

This is my first season with the P43, the past 11 years with an Englander EP25, the glass would get pretty dirty and need cleaning every day, similar to your photo, even with the soft wood.
Your ambitious. Just cleaned the Accentra,ran a bit longer than usual because of crazy weather here. Ash pot was mostly full,and put another1/4 pot full in it scooping up what misses the pot.Had wiped off glass,but not cleaned,several times in the previous weeks. So I had to scrub a bit of caked on above the air wash vents. But still took less than 3 minutes to clean and treat the glass.

Reactions: Ocelot