How's everybody doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vikestand

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2014
Missurah
Been a busy few years of not posting much, glad to see others keeping this place active.

Just ready to light that first fire in about a month and a half!

Ready to go with two year’s worth of fuel in the shed. We have about 2 weeks to go before first fire. Then we stop in mid June. 9 months but I really would like a fire soon.

With a low of 48 this morning we may be lighting the fires sooner than I expected!

I usually try to hold out until we hit 40F, which is always sometime in October. Yesterday was a beautiful 77F, with sunny skies. We ate outside, and today I’m headed out sailing. No need to rush winter, it always overstays it’s welcome.

42 this morning in the hills of the PNW. Should be 80 at 5pm. Kids go back to school next week!

I try to wait until the last possible moment for that first fire. I love burning wood for heat but there is nothing like that first day of wood heat. Our first burn is usually mid October once it’s cold in the morning after a night of low 40s high 30s.

3 years c/s/s’d here, ready to go. Once the fires are going, I will start replenishing what’s burnt this winter for 2022-2023.

Reactions: lsucet
Best time of season is when kids go to school???? I agree...

FIrst day of school I see posts on social media----- Going to miss my little man/girl... its off to school........

I love my children dearly, but to be honest... I'm glad to get rid of them for a little bit each weekday.. but you still miss them getting on your last nerve or asking why why why every min...

ECC3774C-2FC2-43BE-B290-3021080F2A63.jpeg

I'm ready to go to get the break in fires going in my new stove. Probably will be around end of October here. Was a horrible hot summer with temps and humidity but I sense a change is coming.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It's great to get the kids back to school.................................unless you're a teacher...:cool:

Reactions: JimBear
I usually try to hold out until we hit 40F, which is always sometime in October. Yesterday was a beautiful 77F, with sunny skies. We ate outside, and today I’m headed out sailing. No need to rush winter, it always overstays it’s welcome.

I could not agree more. I’d like to continue enjoying comfortable, breezy weather, pool, the beach, and home grown organic vegetables as long as possible.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I may have a few fires in October. Daily fires don't start until November.

School starting means that the restaurant at the Vo-tech school in town will resume. Best place in town to go for lunch. A la carte Wednesday and Friday; lunch buffet Thursday. Breakfast buffet the first Wednesday of the month, too. :)

http://assabettech.com/cms/one.aspx?pageId=355457

Sister-in-law is a middle school social studies teacher in NJ.

A friend teaches at a small school for three dozen kids on the Outer Banks.

https://www.watersedgevillageschool.com/

I'm sitting here with long wranglers and a sweatshirt on. Temp says 71 inside and I'm freezing. I think it's the beer. I ice it down and my nose is like an ice cube from the top of the can. Have a small electric ceramic next to me. If I start a fire wife will use her Sig.

paulnlee … My wife told me yesterday that our brother-in-law in Flemington just joined the German-American Club in Clark. I thought that there has to be something closer to Flemington. Nope. The one down by Trenton is the same distance away. There are a few over in PA, but they're 30-plus miles away, too. Surprised there's nothing closer to Flemington.

I'm ready to go to get the break in fires going in my new stove. Probably will be around end of October here. Was a horrible hot summer with temps and humidity but I sense a change is coming.

You got the new small VC stove right?

Been a long busy summer- I haven’t been on here for awhile also. Two kids now in college but the adopted one still at home until he moves out in January. On a job now we are pulling out some red oak I’ve been bringing some home the last 2 days. I won’t clutter this thread up, I’ll start a new one and put up some pics. Getting ready to get ready!!

Last edited:
You got the new small VC stove right?

Yea I got the new Intrepid. I'm retiring September 30th which will coincide with starting the break in fires and hopefully get the stove figured out quickly. Everything is ready to go. This is completely redesigned stove from the model a few years ago. I'm impressed with the specs and can't wait to get it going. I'll do updates on the VC thread as I get to it.

Been a busy few years of not posting much, glad to see others keeping this place active.

Just ready to light that first fire in about a month and a half!
We usually start burning our shoulder season wood (white pine) on September 15.

paulnlee … My wife told me yesterday that our brother-in-law in Flemington just joined the German-American Club in Clark. I thought that there has to be something closer to Flemington. Nope. The one down by Trenton is the same distance away. There are a few over in PA, but they're 30-plus miles away, too. Surprised there's nothing closer to Flemington.

Don't know what this has to do with the price of eggs in China but great Grandfather belonged to the German-American Lincoln Club in 1910 in Baltimore. Yea, he was from Gladenbach, Germany.

This is the strangest thread I've read since @Manly disappeared.

Reactions: JimBear
This had to have been one of my fastest summers ever, I'm use to things lingering (like the last 2 winters) but man, for what its worth we're in the first week of September, 8 weeks to go November, somewhere in that time a fire will be lit, I'm personally hoping more towards then 8th week fingers crossed for the 9th week lol.
I am ready though, I'm just busy and really enjoying life atm and time is flying by.

Pretty normal . . . place slows up in the Summer and starts to get busy when the weather starts to turn cool. I know I haven't been frequenting the place as much as I normally do until this week.

Here's my first day of school photo . . . spent part of the morning greeting the school children at one of the local elementary schools.

Attachments

• FirstDay.jpg
    FirstDay.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 217