Hud-Son portable saw mills

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Zap the best thing to do would be find someone who has one and work with them for a day and see how you like it. There's a lot more to it than just throwing a log up there and cutting. When I have time I am going over to a friends and help out just to learn how to use mine better. Don't go with two small of a mill. Bows and taper will eat up a lot of log. The 16' foot boards I cut I started with a 16.5' log 20" dia on the small side. By time I got the bow out and squared up I ended up with 12 3/4" boards.

35150_1270916867984_1681757389_516023_5871024_n.jpg

I don't have a log loader. I loaded the logs right on the mill a few times. But it was a pain making sure I did not hit the mill head or have my chains end up on a log pad. Now I have the mill set on the side of a hill and can roll the logs flat onto the mill. I used bank run gravel for my pad. But the vibration of the mill would sink and loosen up some of the jack pads. I ended up having to cut plywood squares out and put them under the jack pads to spread the weight out and keep them from sinking in the gravel.

Billy

Nice setup, we can only spend so much so we have to stay in a certain range and that beast is out of our range! :zip:

zap

lol Billy brings the Big Toys! Wow just looks like a great place to spend a couple weeks.

I could use the tractor!

zap

Cowboy Billy said:
Zap the best thing to do would be find someone who has one and work with them for a day and see how you like it. There's a lot more to it than just throwing a log up there and cutting. When I have time I am going over to a friends and help out just to learn how to use mine better. Don't go with two small of a mill. Bows and taper will eat up a lot of log. The 16' foot boards I cut I started with a 16.5' log 20" dia on the small side. By time I got the bow out and squared up I ended up with 12 3/4" boards.

35150_1270916867984_1681757389_516023_5871024_n.jpg

I don't have a log loader. I loaded the logs right on the mill a few times. But it was a pain making sure I did not hit the mill head or have my chains end up on a log pad. Now I have the mill set on the side of a hill and can roll the logs flat onto the mill. I used bank run gravel for my pad. But the vibration of the mill would sink and loosen up some of the jack pads. I ended up having to cut plywood squares out and put them under the jack pads to spread the weight out and keep them from sinking in the gravel.

Billy

Billy funny you mention talking to someone that has one, I talked with Wood Mizer yesterday and they gave me the phone number of a man 10 miles from here that has one. I'll see them in action this weekend in Boonville New York.

zap

I am not sure on the width but I think the max height was 36" and do a 21' log. My dad and uncle bought it new in 1998 and it was about $15,000. It only has 150 hrs on it but it will be getting a lit more soon!

Woodmizer is really good with service and parts. I would not hesitate to buy a good used one. The massy is a good for what we use it for plowing and disking but the gear ranges leave a lot to be desired. The 3pt only moves when the clutch is out and the hyd are slow. I used it once with a bushog and will never use it for that again! A kubota is a much more user friendly tractor!

Since I haven't found a job this year I have been spending more than a few weeks at the farm! I enjoy working I don't have a boat or new car. My Dad youngest Brother and I spend all our spare money on equ and are happy with it and have a good time!

Billy

Billy it sounds like you're staying busy, hope the job thing turns around for you plus the rest of United States. In our small town we had Alcoa,Reynolds and GM, that is down to Alcoa. We have to start making things in the U.S.A. again.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.