Huskee 28 ton splitter-I bent the wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Well, actually, a 32 inch oak round bent the wedge in much the same way as slightly bending the edge of a piece of paper. How to get it fixed, or is it doomed for a replacement?

Speeco will take care of you. They seem to actually have great customer service. Give them a call and I'll bet they ship you what ever is needed to repair. Its just too bad in order for them to continue the price point they continue to put more and more Chinese low grade parts into the product.

richg said:
Well, actually, a 32 inch oak round bent the wedge in much the same way as slightly bending the edge of a piece of paper. How to get it fixed, or is it doomed for a replacement?

Got a pic? Sounds like you rolled the leading edge of the wedge, maybe? I would touch it up with a grinder and keep it as a spare. I still can't understand how wood could "bend" a wedge....

I agree with Lukem. Especially oak. How would that bend a wedge?! Get it replaced.

I remember very well the first time someone posted of a bent foot on the 30ton Speeco on AS. Everyone said no way could that happen even from folks that owned and had operated that model for many years. Finally somebody posted a pic. Then they started to come out of the wood work with more pics and stories of bent feet. Turns out Speeco had started installing splitter feet they were having made in China. The older units had feet made in USA. Next thing we know its an epidemic. Speeco made good on the parts even replacing one twice I know of. So basically anything can happen. I realize its hard to believe but after the foot incident I'll say it just might be so.

I'll try and get some pics later today. Must have coffee.

Folks,

Here is a top-down view of the wedge. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• huskee28tonbentwedgetopview.jpg
    huskee28tonbentwedgetopview.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 540
Well, obviously my photoshop skills are tragic. the text box refers to how the top line on the wedge plate and the wedge itself are totally out of alignment.

Holy crap.

That's not what I had pictured, and can't be fixed with a grinder. Can you see any cracks in the weld or did the metal just bend?

Either way, I still don't get how you could do that unless you got it in a really nasty bind, even then it shouldn't do that.

32 inch even curly oak I would not expect anything like that! Wow.....

smokinjay said:
32 inch even curly oak I would not expect anything like that! Wow.....

That shouldn't happen splitting a 32" hunk of granite.

What surprised me the most was that the bolt didn't bust first. Thank goodness because that could have been a lethal projectile. I'll call speeco and see if they will do anything. My hopes are not high.

I used to have a name and number. Might be able to get it if you have trouble. Unless business over there has changed they will take good card of ya. I figured this was real just like the foot isse. Cheap soft Chinese steel. The problem with these splitters has been mostly limited to the 28 and 30 tonners. The 20 ton units don't have enough poop to hurt themselves even with junk parts. I still think they offer the best bang for the buck and I really like their beam design. I've said for yrs I would be willing to pay more for a 100% USA made unit than have to deal with this stuff. I think the thinking is we build thousands of units and if a small percentage actually get used we'll just take care of those people on a case by case basis.

Give the Chinese your specs and they'll build it to spec, like the iPhone. My guess is that the specs were compromised, not the manufacturing. You get what you're willing to pay for, here, there, and everywhere.

Wherever the root of the problem lies, fact is alot of cheap junk comes from that place. And as seen time and time again when stuff is out sourced to China problems arise. You can take a proven and tested tool mfg'd and sold for yrs. Send the mfg over to China and it comes back sh*t.

DanCorcoran said:
Give the Chinese your specs and they'll build it to spec, like the iPhone. My guess is that the specs were compromised, not the manufacturing. You get what you're willing to pay for, here, there, and everywhere.

Used to see that especially in engines for the OPE industry. OEM would tell the engine manufacturer, "I need X number of engines labeled for X HP at $XXX.XX per unit." And that's exactly what got delivered. Folks wondered why Brand X's engine would last 5 years on OEM X's machine but an engine mfd by the same Brand X, which at first glance appears to be nearly identical, lasts 20 years on OEM Y's machine.

To really confuse consumers we we're explaining why a 10hp garden tractor built 30 years ago was wiping the floor with the brand-new 22 hp tin-foil lawn tractor they had seen in Home Cheapo's weekly flyer. Never failed to hear the question "How come Deere only puts 18-20 HP engines in a $7000 tractor and puts a 25 HP engine on a $2500 tractor?"

Now look at the mess we're in with engine ratings on OPE. :roll: Yup, going to cc's as the rating standard has really cleared things up for the consumer! "We're from the government and we're here to help." :sick:

Nothing more in terms of useful information/suggestions for the OP goin' on here. You're all free to do your China bashing (or the despicable country of your choosing) in either the Inglenook or the Ash Can. It doesn't belong here cluttering up The Gear forum. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.