I asked, now I wait.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
A big blow came through the area a couple of nights ago. We deliver a paper route, and I've been drooling over a couple of Hedge that are near a costumer's mail box. What I didn't realize was that there was Hedge along the road there for about 150', and the wind took down four of them. I'm guessing that the biggest one had a 2.5+ foot diameter. Might be up to two cords there, total. I talked to the guy today, but found out that his neighbor owns that frontage. I went back and talked to the owner this evening (he's also a paper customer.) He said he was going to contact his insurance company about paying to clean it up, but I don't think insurance will cover tree removal if there's no structural damage. I wonder how much a tree service would charge to cut it up and remove the trash. Prices are generally low here. I suggested that if it would save him some money, I could get rid of the trash in exchange for the wood, or take small log lengths cut by a tree service (then I could make my own cuts to length.) Don't know how I'd get the logs onto my 5x8 trailer. If they were 4' or so I guess two guys could lift them, except the huge ones. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut for the time being, but I want a stack of the King of All Woods! He wanted someone insured to handle the job, but I don't think there's much chance of damaging anything. I remember reading a thread here on liability wavers to protect the landowner in the case of someone cutting on their land...I'll have to find that thread. I need to get my ducks in a row in case he gets bad news from his insurance co.

In the meantime, cross your fingers for me. Bodark or Bust!! :lol:

Good luck! I think the best of all possible outcomes is that the tree service takes it away, and dumps the usable firewood at your house. Hope it works out for you.

snowleopard said:
Good luck! I think the best of all possible outcomes is that the tree service takes it away, and dumps the usable firewood at your house. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks, snl! It would be great if that's the way it worked out. I've got a 5x8 trailer, but the car I use to haul it is a bit feeble. I don't like to load it down too much. This score is about 6 miles from my house. The owner expressed concern that it would be left lying around for a while. I assured him it wouldn't. I May have to enlist the help of a friend with a truck to get it out in a timely fashion, especially if I have to haul brush.

Glad your wood deal worked out so well. Sounds like you're in great shape for this Fall. I wish I could say the same. :lol:

I thought I read here that Hedge dries fairly quickly, is that right?

Woody Stover said:
I thought I read here that Hedge dries fairly quickly, is that right?

Not too bad most of the time. Inspite of its extreme density. It has less moisture than most of the oaks & hickories.Thus most milled pieces of it dont warp crack or split as bad as other dense hardwoods.

Woody Stover said:
Don't know how I'd get the logs onto my 5x8 trailer. If they were 4' or so I guess two guys could lift them, except the huge ones. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut for the time being, but I want a stack of the King of All Woods! He wanted someone insured to handle the job, but I don't think there's much chance of damaging anything. I remember reading a thread here on liability wavers to protect the landowner in the case of someone cutting on their land...I'll have to find that thread. I need to get my ducks in a row in case he gets bad news from his insurance co.

Woody, it sounds to me like you are in need of a cant hook. It would make things much easier.

Backwoods Savage said:
Woody, it sounds to me like you are in need of a cant hook.
I've got a peavey, and a ramp on my trailer...
I'm optimistic on my chances of getting this wood, but I have no idea of how it would actually go down. The best case for me would be if the tree guys took the trash and left the logs for me to cut, but the owner wants to make sure he's protected and didn't sound too keen on the idea of letting me cut on his property. I mentioned that I've had a fair bit of experience, so we'll see. I'm not the type of guy to try to blame someone else if I'm careless enough to hurt myself, but I can understand his reservations.
If I do end up cutting that stuff, I'd better have a couple more extra chains. :lol:

Woody Stover said:
A big blow came through the area a couple of nights ago. We deliver a paper route, and I've been drooling over a couple of Hedge that are near a costumer's mail box. What I didn't realize was that there was Hedge along the road there for about 150', and the wind took down four of them. I'm guessing that the biggest one had a 2.5+ foot diameter. Might be up to two cords there, total. I talked to the guy today, but found out that his neighbor owns that frontage. I went back and talked to the owner this evening (he's also a paper customer.) He said he was going to contact his insurance company about paying to clean it up, but I don't think insurance will cover tree removal if there's no structural damage. I wonder how much a tree service would charge to cut it up and remove the trash. Prices are generally low here. I suggested that if it would save him some money, I could get rid of the trash in exchange for the wood, or take small log lengths cut by a tree service (then I could make my own cuts to length.) Don't know how I'd get the logs onto my 5x8 trailer. If they were 4' or so I guess two guys could lift them, except the huge ones. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut for the time being, but I want a stack of the King of All Woods! He wanted someone insured to handle the job, but I don't think there's much chance of damaging anything. I remember reading a thread here on liability wavers to protect the landowner in the case of someone cutting on their land...I'll have to find that thread. I need to get my ducks in a row in case he gets bad news from his insurance co.

Woody Stover, hope it goes well and you get the score.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.