I can't use my fireplace until someone can help me solve this mystery!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did they not bother to even read the I'd tag. It clearly says no inserts.

I am not hear to argue and I understand your trying to help but it says do not use an insert that is not specified for this unit. Lopi stated the unit is compatible if you want I can post the email they sent me. I find it unlikely they would tell me it's safe if it was not compatible especially after I voiced my concern about saftey.

My main issue is not if I am going to add an insert it's trying to find out what is causing my drafting issues. Thanks again for the feedback I do appreciate your time.

Reactions: ryanwc
I am not hear to argue and I understand your trying to help but it says do not use an insert that is not specified for this unit. Lopi stated the unit is compatible if you want I can post the email they sent me. I find it unlikely they would tell me it's safe if it was not compatible especially after I voiced my concern about saftey.

My main issue is not if I am going to add an insert it's trying to find out what is causing my drafting issues. Thanks again for the feedback I do appreciate your time.
They are trying to make a sale I don't find it unlikely at all. And I gaurantee if you found the manual for your fireplace there are no specified inserts at all. And lopi can't override the fireplaces instructions. Also btw neither is the vacustacks smoke sheild or gwof. They are all code violations. I am not trying to argue either just making you aware of what is and isn't allowed by code.

Due to the fact that opening the window helped your problem is caused by lack of makeup air.

@Mike1485
If I were you... I would consider putting a freestanding stove in another area of the room or house, with its own chimney..

If I had the money or a decent job, I may consider completely removing that old fireplace.

No offense, but I think it looks kinda odd the way it sticks out over the garage, but that’s just my opinion. I’ve never seen anything like that in my area.

@Mike1485

No offense, but I think it looks kinda odd the way it sticks out over the garage, but that’s just my opinion. I’ve never seen anything like that in my area.

That was quite common practice in my area for a period of time. Lately I see way more interior chimneys on new construction. Some pipes just stick out of the roof and some have framed chases with manufactured stone applied depending on house value.

Reactions: TWilk117