I think it's time for me to start stacking in single rows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big shot know it alls huh, nice, most of the posts about drying wood (or what ever) are ment to be helpful, we may disagree on some points but drying wood is a straight forward process no matter how much we try to make it something different.
The varibles keep the subject interesting, some of us have burnt wood a long time and try offering advice to the newbies which there are alot and when a newbie comes on here and posts something that is totaly backasswords then maybe he is the know it all you speak off.:confused:

I agree in principle (with you and BB) - "YMMV" is pretty much implied / assumed, but reading this forum for a few years now, and so far I've never got the impression that there were very many folks trying to be big shots. I'm pretty sure that comment was not intended to be condescending, but it kinda reads that way...? Just my 2c....

I'm not referring to anyone on this forum as far as this subject is concerned, I'm refering to all the information out there that is published else where saying you should do this and that when in fact, all the variables are not spoken of but that does not disuade people from publishing and wanting their name in the copy headliner. I'm not interested in egos as much as I am first hand experience. There are articles I like and some that I do not. Those that state "you should" as opposed "I have found " giving room for the experience instead of the parrot is what I'm referring to and no, I was being condescending but to this type of article.

Last edited:
I'm not referring to anyone on this forum as far as this subject is concerned, I'm refering to all the information out there that is published else where saying you should do this and that when in fact, all the variables are not spoken of but that does not disuade people from publishing and wanting their name in the copy headliner. I'm not interested in egos as much as I am first hand experience. There are articles I like and some that I do not. Those that state "you should" as opposed "I have found " giving room for the experience instead of the parrot is what I'm referring to.

thanks arro222 - I was not trying to rattle your cage, just a heads-up that the original comment might not be interpreted the way it was intended. The topics / posts / opinions here are sometimes all over the place - but at the end of the day, as you say, the devil is in the details :) . That's what makes it great.

thanks arro222 - I was not trying to rattle your cage, just a heads-up that the original comment might not be interpreted the way it was intended. The topics / posts / opinions here are sometimes all over the place - but at the end of the day, as you say, the devil is in the details :) . That's what makes it great.

Was never rattled Bags. You had an opinion and expressed it. (and let me add as a perfect gentleman) What's wrong with that? I tend to be direct and as honest as possible and is why admitted to be condescending.

Many of the articles you speak of are in fact "parrot" articles so if one has bad info you may find several with the same type of info, easy to sort through the BS when you have first hand expeirence like you stated arro222.

Not speaking for anyone but I will say to be careful. A "newbie" quite possibly could be someone who has been cutting, burning, or processing wood for 20-30 yrs. I DO know someone who is classified as a "newbie" who at one point in his career was a professional Oregon Timber-feller for years who just found this forum. Not me, honest. Be careful what you read under someone's pet name as far as their profile is concerned. I'm sure a lot are not "newbies" by far! Just saying!

Not speaking for anyone but I will say to be careful. A "newbie" quite possibly could be someone who has been cutting, burning, or processing wood for 20-30 yrs. I DO know someone who is classified as a "newbie" who at one point in his career was a professional Oregon Timber-feller for years who just found this forum. Not me, honest. Be careful what you read under someone's pet name as far as their profile is concerned. I'm sure a lot are not "newbies" by far! Just saying!
You are correct aout being careful Gunny but there is another side to this. I was a logger for 30 years and have been burning wood since 1978. Yet I cannot say I can speak with authority on anything to this regard because all I have is my experience to go by. If my experience has holes or gaps in it and I go on as a "know it all" about such, then I'm not being honest or forth right. I've learned a long time ago that ego can get in the way of learning no matter how long someone has been doing something.

Reactions: 711mhw and Gunny

Good advice. To add to that - someone could be a newbie in one respect, yet well seasoned in another (e.g. I burned a smoke dragon for over 10 years, tube stove for @ 4, did a few installs, etc. - but I never laid my hands on a cat stove or an insert). I think I could be around here forever, but still learning (a lot) as I go.

I've learned a long time ago that ego gets in the way of learning no matter how long someone has been doing something.
Well said.

Yes, I agree Arro but, as well there is a flip side to this as well. Ego is something that is worn or believed by the person portraying it. NOT SAYING ANYONE HERE but, how do we know who these people are on the other keyboard? They could be a 10 yr old boy just doing this for kicks to irritate people. Googling articles like a madman to sound smart. (Not what I think!) Who knows? The forum is an awesome place to SHARE opinions and there is some great knowledge out there. Hell I have learned a lot about wood burning/processing and I am out of the country right now! Well better put this to bed before it becomes a thread for two, we could go on for a long time.

Did this not start out about stacking wood in a single row? WoW!

When I say newbie I mean newbie to woodburning not the forum.

You are correct aout being careful Gunny but there is another side to this. I was a logger for 30 years and have been burning wood since 1978. Yet I cannot say I can speak with authority on anything to this regard because all I have is my experience to go by. If my experience has holes or gaps in it and I go on as a "know it all" about such, then I'm not being honest or forth right. I've learned a long time ago that ego can get in the way of learning no matter how long someone has been doing something.

Pretty much where I am at, have learned a lot of nitty gritty details about wood burning here, burning dry wood however I learned about 30 years ago after watching green Elm sizzle.:)

No ones fault Mr. Hammers, sometimes things are just more fun difficult.

Reactions: bag of hammers
Status
Not open for further replies.