I think winter's over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
0F right now and gonna get colder over night, 78F inside, nice and toasty

Reactions: Dix
Prepping for the over night reload... rounds abound

Due for - 10 F tonight... holy moly !!!

:)

Will you be moving the 40 yards of mulch or just guiding the tractor that is moving 40 yards of mulch?:p;lol

The tractor moves it to the garden, but I have to dish it out and spread it by hand, with ten-tine fork and rake. Only got 12 yards done today, more planned for tomorrow!

Nothin' feels as cold as 30 deg right after 65 deg.
Prepping for the over night reload... rounds abound

Due for - 10 F tonight... holy moly !!!

Almost that cold out east, and the high tomorrow is not toasty warm either.

Image2067419409.jpg

We're still not getting any records, though. This week was even colder in 2009!

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost that cold out east, and the high tomorrow is not toasty warm either.

View attachment 195586

We're still not getting any records, though. This week was even colder in 2009!
Many record low highs set today throughout new England, probably not record cold at night though. 4 now, I'm burning some nice hickory splits I put aside just for a night like tonight.

It's 16 now here. Was supposed to be 10 degrees overnight. I had the stove cranking hard yesterday, and the house held the heat fairly well overnight. That made for a shock when I went outside to grab my ash bucket this morning.

I've been rather impressed with my 30NC the past few cold snaps now that I have sub 20% wood. The ash I'm feeding it is running 17-19% as the highest reading. I'm looking forward to pulling off of the same pile next year that will have this summer to dry out even more.

Reactions: Ashful
It's 16 now here. Was supposed to be 10 degrees overnight. I had the stove cranking hard yesterday, and the house held the heat fairly well overnight. That made for a shock when I went outside to grab my ash bucket this morning.

I've been rather impressed with my 30NC the past few cold snaps now that I have sub 20% wood. The ash I'm feeding it is running 17-19% as the highest reading. I'm looking forward to pulling off of the same pile next year that will have this summer to dry out even more.
I'm more and more impressed with my friends nc30 in his 2500 sq ft center hall colonial, he feeds his just a couple splits every few hours and that thing cranks the heat, he laughs at cold snaps, and he swears by the stove and it's 4 hr burn times for 3 splits and 8hr burn times on a packed fire box

35F this morning. Staying cozy.

fire.jpg

Reactions: charger4406
I got the mowers out today, changed oil, un-winterized and all ready to go, maybe mow my yard next week. ;lol

Thought I had plenty of wood in the house until this past weekend most nights were sub zero with stiff wind. I may have to go out and throw more wood in as just about cleaned myself out. Mini Split don't put out much heat below zero. I had the boiler shut down for 8 days before this weekend. This up and down march weather is wacko!

Winter is most certainly not over yet . . . at least here in Maine. Like Peakbagger, the weather up here was wicked cold. I went down to visit the guys in the local FD who were doing an Ice Fishing Derby and nearly froze to death thanks to the low temps and brisk winds.

Thought I had plenty of wood in the house until this past weekend most nights were sub zero with stiff wind. I may have to go out and throw more wood in as just about cleaned myself out. Mini Split don't put out much heat below zero. I had the boiler shut down for 8 days before this weekend. This up and down march weather is wacko!
Just looked at the models, more wacky weather coming along with a few snow storms for the Midwest and northeast, fun month this year.

I got the mowers out today, changed oil, un-winterized and all ready to go, maybe mow my yard next week. ;lol

I did all that plus actually mowed yesterday! My wife thought I was nuts mowing this early in the year until she heard the lawnmower being bogged down by high grass in the front yard.

Mowing is about like burning wood too me. I look forward to the first as well as the last time of the season.

Reactions: Texas123
I did all that plus actually mowed yesterday! My wife thought I was nuts mowing this early in the year until she heard the lawnmower being bogged down by high grass in the front yard.

Mowing is about like burning wood too me. I look forward to the first as well as the last time of the season.

That's another beautiful thing about having pine trees everywhere. The needles keep the grass from getting too frisky, and I only have to mow it 2 or 3 times a year.

I DO have to teach the bamboo some manners every few days in summer, but I use an old fashioned weed whip for that.

Reactions: tarzan
I DO have to teach the bamboo some manners every few days in summer, but I use an old fashioned weed whip for that.

If you dig up the young shoots, they make a great addition to Teriyaki if you like that. Most self-sustaining "gardening" you'll ever do.

Reactions: jetsam
Weather here sucks!!! It's 60F most of the week, while I'm sitting in an office, and then 15 - 30F all weekend while I'm trying to work outside. The flowers are up, the grass is starting to turn and the trees are budding, then it hit 12F two days ago. Next Saturday night is forecast 19F, but there are three days at 61F between now and then.

If you dig up the young shoots, they make a great addition to Teriyaki if you like that. Most self-sustaining "gardening" you'll ever do.

Hm, my brain associates stirfry bamboo shoots with a white rubbery vegetable of dubious origin.

Is that stuff sliced rhizome or is it the actual shoot (which is green)? I guess I'll have lots of opportunity to experiment this summer!

Edit: I looked this up, and it turns out that the reason what you see in food is white is because it's always boiled or pickled before consumption. The reason why is the same reason that the deer don't eat the bamboo..
Good old fashioned hydrogen cyanide.

Great!

Last edited:
Weather here sucks!!! It's 60F most of the week, while I'm sitting in an office, and then 15 - 30F all weekend while I'm trying to work outside. The flowers are up, the grass is starting to turn and the trees are budding, then it hit 12F two days ago. Next Saturday night is forecast 19F, but there are three days at 61F between now and then.

Central Iowa had 70 degrees this afternoon, a tornado this evening, and snow forecast for tonight.

Out east we've had a freaky roller coaster (60, -10, 60...) but Midwest weather is even loopier.

Hm, my brain associates stirfry bamboo shoots with a white rubbery vegetable of dubious origin.

Is that stuff sliced rhizome or is it the actual shoot (which is green)? I guess I'll have lots of opportunity to experiment this summer!

Edit: I looked this up, and it turns out that the reason what you see in food is white is because it's always boiled or pickled before consumption. The reason why is the same reason that the deer don't eat the bamboo..
Good old fashioned hydrogen cyanide.

Great!

We do boil ours. I didn't mention it because I figured that if you were going to try it, you'd look it up. I'd forgotten about the cyanide. I promise I wasn't trying to poison you to get my hands on your stove.

Reactions: firefighterjake
The cyanide or the winter weather...I am so confused! ;) :p :p ;)

Reactions: firefighterjake
Oh we're jinxed !!

Gonna walk the Muph, and snag another vortex tote of seasoned maple to add to the inside stash.

Going to need it, before it's covered in rain, ice, & snow :mad:

It was 60 today. 30 tonight, 6" of snow, a week of winter with 20 degree nights coming up.

Hauled a little wood into the garage, off we go.

Image903301230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: