I think winter's over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's 67 outside here right now, 73 inside, furnace ain't run all day, windows are open solar made 20 kWh and I'm drinkin' a rum & coke. Gonna fire up the barbee and grill me a burger. Put 20 miles on the Bonneville today, copped me some breeze.

Spring has sprung - :)

Reactions: Espartaco
IMG_20170309_214105.jpg Said vortex tote of maple

View attachment 195785 View attachment 195785

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ddddddden
Spring has sprung - :)
It was warm for two weeks previous, and we had buds on the trees and daffodils coming up in the gardens, but now it's 30F and snowing. Going down to 14F tonight, with wind chills below zero tomorrow. We "sprung" in the wrong direction.

With a huff and a puff a new system has blown in. Overnight temps jumped to the high 40's. Some 50's predicted for the next several days and a lot of rain. I think I will start some seeds now. Looks like peas, radishes, spinach, lettuce, etc. should be ready to go in the ground in a few weeks. Daffodils are blooming too.

Wackiness here in SEPA. Left Philly on 2/24 for a week in FL. It was 75* the day we left. Come back on 3/3 and its 25* with winds strong enough to bring down a tree in my front yard. Yesterday it was shorts and tee-shirts while I brought up wood from the back pile in preparation for today's 30* temp and 3-5" of snow...

Tonight forecasted to be 16 and not have day time temps more than a degree or two above freezing for a week. Shoveled ash and hauled a bunch more wood. I blame the OP for tempting fate.

Headed down to 9 with a 20 mph wind. Feel bad for the 84000 households still without power up here!

80 degrees yesterday, have the stove burning today... :confused:

Nice blizzard brewing for next week, it remains to be seen who gets buried but someone is going to be hip deep in snow in the northeast.

Got home from work, then barn, and shoveled off back steps, landing, and back deck firewood ( got about 3 " of wet stuff).

Swept off stacks, lifted tarps, salted all of the above.

Shoveled path way to drive way after running car around drive way a few times to make tracks. Will use ash can debris to de ice path in the AM.

Temps dropping quickly here. I felt the cold air coming into the hollow last time I took the Murph outside at 8:30 PM. Can't wait to feel the difference when we go out one more time tonight at about 10 PM or so. Just turned temps up on T stat for OB to 65 F, and will purposely not load stoves to full bore tonight so OB runs to keep pipes from freezing :mad:

Welcome to March on LI >>

Last edited:
My oil burner is NOT going to kick on. I made it this far, and this has to be the last cold 2 weeks of the year!

Sweet heart, I ran 6 years with NO back up. By myself ( the whole enchilada, & 2 stoves ). Fixed the OB this October, and have used it as a fill in and for HW (turned OFF the electric HWH that was installed 6 years ago). I've used 300 gallons of dino juice since November 1st, my electric bill is down $50 a month (and LIPA still owes me $300 as of last month !!).

The firewood is bought and paid for, and I'm 3 years ahead.

I'm turning up the t stat, and glad to do it.

You soldier on.

*signed, a seasoned veteran*

:p

Sweet heart, I ran 6 years with NO back up. By myself ( the whole enchilada, & 2 stoves ). Fixed the OB this October, and have used it as a fill in and for HW (turned OFF the electric HWH that was installed 6 years ago). I've used 300 gallons of dino juice since November 1st, my electric bill is down $50 a month (and LIPA still owes me $300 as of last month !!).

The firewood is bought and paid for, and I'm 3 years ahead.

I'm turning up the t stat, and glad to do it.

You soldier on.

*signed, a seasoned veteran*

:p

I will, and I'll be glad to do it. Oil's expensive, and I'm cheap!

Looking forward to a new roof and solar; maybe I'll trade you my old oil burning water heater for your old electric one after that. :)

I will, and I'll be glad to do it. Oil's expensive, and I'm cheap!

Looking forward to a new roof and solar; maybe I'll trade you my old oil burning water heater for your old electric one after that. :)

Ain't gonna happen ;)

Reactions: begreen
Spent the day outside edging, and "spreading" mulch. I put that word in quotes, since it was covered in snow and some of it was frozen. Edging was a little sticky, with the power edger. The day started with a wind chill around -4F, and only got up to +12F, but an ugly day outside still beats another day of the week indoors.

Spent the day outside edging, and "spreading" mulch. I put that word in quotes, since it was covered in snow and some of it was frozen. Edging was a little sticky, with the power edger. The day started with a wind chill around -4F, and only got up to +12F, but an ugly day outside still beats another day of the week indoors.

I'd be out spreading mulch with a hammer too if I had all them angry undead Scottish stonemasons chasing me around the house.

Maybe one of those central vaccum systems would work for you?

I'd be out spreading mulch with a hammer too if I had all them angry undead Scottish stonemasons chasing me around the house.

Maybe one of those central vaccum systems would work for you?
As old as this joint is, no sign of any hauntings, here!

Just got back from helping heavyhammer with power outages in Ashtabula county in Ohio, that lake Erie was beautiful but the constant 25 mph wind with temps in the teens was horrible, it was instant brain freeze if you weren't wearing a hat.
It was nice to help out over there, they had just over 100k without lights on Wednesday and less than 250 when we were released yesterday. I ran into a Ohio Edison crew and told them to follow me home to NJ for the blizzard on Tuesday.