id this tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The leaves bloom purple in the spring, heart or spade shaped leaf, common in my are but I never knew the name. One fell in the neighbor hood, is it good firewood? Thank you

upload_2019-6-24_17-19-38.png upload_2019-6-24_17-20-9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I had to look up Judas Tree. The leaf looks like redbud which is in the same family. How big is the tree at the trunk and how tall?

Yes, eastern redbud Cercis canadensis. http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=43
The twigs have a distinctive zig-zag pattern. The pinkish purple flowers, scaly reddish bark, heart-shaped leaves, and legume seed pods help make for an easy ID.
It's a legume, so wood is dense; however, its shrubby habit prevents it from gaining a large trunk diameter, but it is a dense wood (like black locust), so good firewood (what there is of it). But it'll probably need to season an extra year.

Grab it. There is some mixed in here with Red Mulberry I believe (both yellow wood.) I'm a bit shaky on the ID but I think Mulberry might be the one with the distinct, light-colored sapwood. There's also Red Elm and Dogwood, all found dead in the woods.
20190512_173041.jpg

Thanks very much guys.I looked up Judas tree but couldn't find if it is a harwood with decent BTU.
"How big is the tree at the trunk and how tall?" 8 inches at the maximum, say 20 feet tall. It is heavy wood but cut nicely with the chainsaw, but is is green & full of leaves so plenty water. I'll snag it, & in the meantime research further the eastern redbud Cercis canadensis. http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=43. And Thanks for the "let it season another year", meaning I'll also split a tad smaller than usual & probably split some limbs that Id normally leave as rounds/un-split

My experience is it dries fairly quickly, even with the bark on especially under 5". If you leave it in the sun and wind till November it might be dry enough by then.

Yes I think it is redbud, was Judas a slang term? Yes I too think it will dry quick, it is light in weight and maybe it was dying yet it was full of leaves?

Attachments

• IMAG1316.jpg
    IMAG1316.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMAG1318.jpg
    IMAG1318.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 223
See attached link for the tale of the Judas tree. It's pretty much my recollection of the apocryphal story of the Judas tree.
http://capitalnaturalist.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-judas-tree.html

The few times I've burned it, it didn't burn well. Perhaps I burned it too soon, and it needed extra time to season like other Legumes ?
Since it's usually a small understory tree, you'll be lucky if you get a few pieces larger than 16" diameter.

The Black Birch I doubt, not native to that area but it could have been planted as an ornamental? The other yep a Cherry probably Choke or Black. But could be a ornamental Cherry of some sort. For firewood all would be okay though.

Pin Cherry (same as choke?) is decent firewood, the problem is you really need to make sure its either de-barked or top covered well because that bark really traps moisture even for months after the rest of the wood has dried out. Been using it in the smoker lately too, and i think it's a better smoking wood than firewood quite honestly.

Choke Cherry as mentioned needs to be debarked if you have any hope of it drying properly at least if its a non-split piece.