I'm getting a stove!! No one in WA read this :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmoelk

Hearth Supporter
Howdy everyone. I'm so excited. I'm getting a wood stove and chimney. Here's the stove:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/for/242134412.html

The seller was really nice. The deal is for $950 and includes the chimney, Metalbestos SS-2. Chimney is 9 ft tall with all the parts, attic insulation guard, flashing, cap, storm collar, brackets, etc. Also included is 10ft of stove pipe.

I told him of course that I'd have to go look at the stove, but I'd be carrying cash in hand. My main question is that I know nothing about inspecting the stove, stove pipe, or chimney. I'd appreciate any tips on how to inspect everything before I hand over my money. And also, what do you guys think of the overall deal? Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

I just called the guy, i offered him $1000. I didnt tell him i wasnt local. Time for a road trip! ;)

Congrats Wrench, looks like a winner! I can't give you any advice about inspecting the stove, except for the painfully obvious stuff. I'm sure the experts will be along to give you some help.

When i offered $1,100. for everything he didnt say anything about other offers before me. ;-P

I've seen that model of stove here at a dealer. The largest of the CS line is a 3.1 cu ft firebox..with a 700 cuft/minute blower!!! That looks like a very large stove. Should crank out the heat very nicely. Congrads.

Looks good. Hope it works out Harry

I Just offered $1125.00...

But if anyone is interested it's for sale again, at current local, for$1138.00... I also have 10' of Chimney and some stove pipe I'll throw in for free...

That is the Striker 160 that CountryGirl just installed. With high dollar door and legs to boot. 1.6 gram sixty something BTU stove.

Not a bad deal at all.

You guys don't give an inch!

Sounds like everyone at least thinks it's a fair deal, which gives me some comfort as a newbie. But, before I hand this guy $950, how do I inspect the stove and everything else. Someone please advise or give me a link to stove inspection or something. Remember, I'm the guy who can't do a search on the forum.

Thanks.

-Kevin

Tough crowd. Start by putting a flash light inside and look for light shining out in places where it shouldnt. I think ELK wrote something in the WIKI about this. Try there for more info.

Nice deal, Wrench, hope it works out for you. Pic's look good, but only a close-up inspection will tell. Short of bringing a pro along with you, all I can suggest is to look for the obvious. Glass and gaskets look good, firebrick not cracked, no obvious signs of overfiring like buckled plates, scorch patterns on the sides or top, is it generally clean looking etc. The pipe should tell you some things too, i.e. badly discolored in certain areas, is it clean looking and not all dented up etc.
Take a look around at the guys house, yard and other possessions while you are there. (Without being too obvious, of course, otherwise he'll think you're casing the joint for a B&E). If the house and yard is in good shape, not big piles of crap laying all over, then chances are he looks after his stuff.

Don't be afraid to ask why he's geting rid of it either, again without appearing too anxious. If the reason sounds valid, odds are it isn't being sold because it's been abused.

There ya go Kevin, good things come to he who is patient and waits. When are you scheduled for pickup and inspection?

BrotherBart said:
That is the Striker 160 that CountryGirl just installed. With high dollar door and legs to boot. 1.6 gram sixty something BTU stove.

Not a bad deal at all.

Yep, it sure is! Got mine in secondary burn right now. Enjoy!

BeGreen said:
There ya go Kevin, good things come to he who is patient and waits. When are you scheduled for pickup and inspection?

Well I have a job interview tomorrow and the seller is busy too, so Wednesday morningish probably around 11am. Guy is in Enumclaw so at least I won't have to actually go into or around Seattle. And I should be able to easily make it back home the same day, mountains and weather permitting.

I did ask why he was selling it and he stated that he built his home in 2002. He thought it would be great, but through the years he just never used it much. So rather than taking up the space in his living room he decided to yank it out.

I wonder if I'm getting a hearth pad too. That would be killer!

-Kevin

Oh, I should add that I spoke with Tom Oyen at the Chimney Sweep. I asked him about the Metalbestos SS-2 chimney and if it were legal. It was my understanding that in WA state the chimney has to be triple wall? My local hearth shop said triple wall was a must. Tom said I was mislead and that actually WA doesn't mandate triple wall, but they mandate the standard that the chimney has to meet a certain safety standard. He stated the Metalbestos SS-2 meets that standard.

So who is right? Could the standard change from county to county? I made sure to tell Tom where I lived when I spoke with him.

-Kevin

tom is right. tripple wall is almost extinct. Double wall meets all standards as long as its tested to 2100* wich SS2 is..

Don't worry cash in hand It will be mine tomorrow. Look at my Wiki about use stove purchases 2002 not over fired with pipe what are you waiting for Christmass

I've got to work then, but can be in phone contact if you have any questions. Swing by Auburn with it on the way home. That's where it was made.

Look for fatigued metal (whiteish) Look for other signs of overfiring such as severely corroded & warped baffles. Check to make sure that all levers adn controls work relatively smoothly. The firebrick as well.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and letting me know it is a fair/good deal. I'm getting antsy. MSG, thanks for the chimney information. I guess my local hearth dealer is either uninformed or perhaps trying to unload the last of his triple wall chimneys, lol. Elk, I did find the article you noted. Read it, and printed it out so I can take it with me on Wednesday. A special thanks to you BeGreen for all of your help... I've learned a lot. And thanks everyone not mentioned also.

I don't anticipate that I'll find anything wrong with the stove or chimney considering the age. I have a good feeling about this deal. And I will feel better about not having an unlisted stove in my house too. Not to mention that I won't have to build such a gigantic hearth either.

The old Frontier stove is in great shape, but it's time has come and gone. Now what to do with it???? Scrap it? Maybe a boat anchor? A flower pot? Sell it in another state?

-Kevin

wrenchmonster said:
The old Frontier stove is in great shape, but it's time has come and gone. Now what to do with it???? Scrap it? Maybe a boat anchor? A flower pot? Sell it in another state?

-Kevin

Salmon smoker, outdoor grille, barn warmer? Or put it in the local Little Nickel, it will find a new home.

If the stove was installed in his living room then chances are that it wouldnt of been overfired (on perpous ) as opposed to if it was in the basement or a back room , owner went with the extra "bling" gold package so looks was also important to him/them over just heat.

When looking at the stove check out the heat shields on the sides?, back and bottom? and play with the air controls a bit to make sure all is well .

Look for and cracks in the cast door and at the hinges and latch area for stress.

look inside at the fire bricks and over all stature , a few broken fire bricks are not a big deal at all but all the bricks being broken mightt say something.

Look at the top baffle and rails for warpage and broken welds.

Look at the top plate where the flue collar is attached for cracks.

Look at the fire box inside and out for stress cracks , broken welds and or warpage.

Small things like the door gasket and such are not a deal breaker but could be a sign of the stove might of been overfired at one time.

Go ahead and ask straight out if there is anything wrong with the stove and or any working issues he has had , be the buyer when looking and asking , its expected but dont look like FBI.

As for asking Tom Oyen at the Chimney Sweep........I trust his opinion and I'm sure he gets 1000's of question hearth related with out a sale outcome and he offers great input per his web site for free. Tho i didnt buy my stove from them (this time) as i had it ordered pre finding his site i do offer his web link to information and stove sales when i can and would look to them for a second stove purchase on my future add on back room stove.

Good deal on the stove , looks really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.