I'm getting a stove!! No one in WA read this :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen, I like the idea of the salmon smoker, does that require any modification? I was thinking maybe in the garage, but apparently you're not suppose to do that. And being a gear head, I've got lots of flammable chemicals lying around. I was also toying around with the idea to build a sauna on my property one of these days. Maybe I could use it for that? Probably would overheat me though.

Roospike, thanks for the tips. I will most definately take a good look. When I spoke with the seller he had told me that it might have gotten 4 months use over 4 years, so I anticipate nothing wrong. But I know myself too, and I know I get excited. I just want to make an informed judgement of the condition of the stove and chimney.

I'll have to print out this thread before I go. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again.

-Kevin

I've only seen one working smoke house. Resembled a tall outhouse with a stove feeding it. But, the owner being a commercial fisherman, he had a lot of fresh salmon. He made the best smoked salmon I've ever been lucky enough to eat. The Frontier might be serious overkill unless you are going for large quantities of smoke salmon. Google on salmon smokehouse building for some ideas.

Here's a recipe for you to start dreaming:
http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking/hot-smoked.htm

elkimmeg said:
Scrap iron is netting $.10 per pound at the junkyard

And .85 cents a lbs new ............very sad.

Ohhh. I'm so excited. Had a good job interview this morning and went down to the bank to pick up the G today. Two more interviews next week.

Scrap Iron? Well, I hate to destroy such a nice stove and seeing as I would only get 30 or 40 bucks out of the deal, I think it's probably well worth my time to try and sell elsewhere. What's a fair price for an old unlisted Frontier model 1980 stove in excellent condition?

-Kevin

Are you paying them to take it away or do you wnat them to pay you :)

I'd say if you got $50-100 that would be more than a good deal for you. As an alternative, maybe contact the local churches and see if someone needs some heat.

Hummm. $50-100 bucks sounds fair to me considering that it really is in excellent condition. I've got some stove pipe and one 4 ft piece of chimney too. Maybe I'll just give it away.

Man, I should run for public office!

-Kevin

Personally my old stove was listed and tested, five years newer than that and it went into the back yard to become a meat smoker. If I have reasons not to be burning it then those are adequate reasons that nobody should be burning it.

Especially in a state where they can't legally install it. And when the buyer finds THAT out they will replace the head in your avitar with that wood stove.

BrotherBart said:
Personally my old stove was listed and tested, five years newer than that and it went into the back yard to become a meat smoker. If I have reasons not to be burning it then those are adequate reasons that nobody should be burning it.

Especially in a state where they can't legally install it. And when the buyer finds THAT out they will replace the head in your avitar with that wood stove.

Assuming that I would sell it in WA state. I could sell it legally in OR or ID. Not to mention that I would make it very clear to whomever bought it that the old Frontier was an unlisted unit and suggest that they not use it in the home. Caveat Emptor.

The stove was grandfathered in my home, but I learned by moving the stove to a new location is considered a new installation, and hence the stove would be illegal. Not wanting to break the law or place my home at risk, I've opted to purchase a unit that indeed is safe and legal to install. I'm not trying to get away with anything here. And frankly, I could care less about 50-100 bucks vs. someones safety. However if states felt that unlisted stoves were that much of a problem, why isn't the sale outlawed in all 50 states? Or perhaps they are indeed outlawed and I am ignorant to such a law.

I think the stove would make a fine unit for an alternate use such as a smoker, shop stove, etc. Just can't happen in WA state, that's all.

I'd love an outdoor stove for BBQing and outdoor cooking in the summer and a warm fire in the Spring and the Fall... maybe surrounded with some free stone and a wooden half roof, close to the door.

wrenchmonster said:
Ohhh. I'm so excited. Had a good job interview this morning and went down to the bank to pick up the G today. Two more interviews next week.

Scrap Iron? Well, I hate to destroy such a nice stove and seeing as I would only get 30 or 40 bucks out of the deal, I think it's probably well worth my time to try and sell elsewhere. What's a fair price for an old unlisted Frontier model 1980 stove in excellent condition?

-Kevin

I see the old 1977 - 198X Earth stoves still selling for $250.oo-$550.oo all the time.

Attachments

• I'm getting a stove!! No one in WA read this :)
    6d_1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 187
wrenchmonster said:
Well, yeah, but I'd take $100. I'm not really trying to make any money off of it, just don't want it sitting in the garage for the rest of my life.

-Kevin

Who knows ..........maybe someone want to make a forge out of it.
Sell it ..dont sell it , ask a little ask a lot......put a gear on the back , get a motor and make a square cement mixer out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.