In checking my winter stacks found lots of holes in some of the wood..post beetle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
I have some quite dry stacks that I was planing on putting in my dry basement in a few weeks for the winter. I noticed that many of the spits have tiny holes in them. I split a few and found what looks just like post beetles.

Storing outside is a royal PITA here in very snowy Syracuse. Is it stupid to put these stacks in my basement and risk a home infestation of this beetle?

My basement is uninsulated and quite cold and dry all winter. It is all block walls.

This one will come down to your personal preference. My guess is that you will hear most folks here saying it's risky. But then again, so might a fall while carry a load of wood on the snow and ice. I suppose a happy medium would be to bring a few pallets closer to the house and throw a tarp on it too keep the snow off

I'd not put a bunch of wood boring beetles inside my house on purpose but that's just me.

You may do some research and see if there is an easy way to kill them all before you bring the wood in. If there was any doubt I would keep it all out side until you are ready to put those beetles directly into their very own beetle Auschwitz.

I think I would be safe...but my home is not something I like to gamble with.

Their life cycle seems to be hatching out in June...by then all the wood would be ash.

Not worth a gamble to me. Already working on plan B.

I think I would be safe...but my home is not something I like to gamble with.

Their life cycle seems to be hatching out in June...by then all the wood would be ash.

Not worth a gamble to me. Already working on plan B.

Good deal. If something causes one sleepless night...not worth it

I have some quite dry stacks that I was planing on putting in my dry basement in a few weeks for the winter. I noticed that many of the spits have tiny holes in them. I split a few and found what looks just like post beetles.

Storing outside is a royal PITA here in very snowy Syracuse. Is it stupid to put these stacks in my basement and risk a home infestation of this beetle?

My basement is uninsulated and quite cold and dry all winter. It is all block walls.

Keeping wood stacks will help in maintaining adding warmth to the basement, but this can lead to form beetles, it is better to add a carpet tile or a rug that will help in adding more warmth to the room, and now there are good wool carpet suppliers, who provide provide durable carpets and rugs with rough colours which will be best suited for the basement area.

I stored powder post infested wood in my horsebarn and the holes are all thru the plywood siding. I wouldnt do it. Especially with Oak flooring.

Status
Not open for further replies.