In the Midwest Deep-Freeze again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to tackle that project about once every 5 years. Got a electric blower-shovel so that it also gets it away from the house a bit and saves on the back.

I have to tackle that project about once every 5 years. Got a electric blower-shovel so that it also gets it away from the house a bit and saves on the back.

I have a small electric blower too. Its not quite up to to the task of moving 4'.

I have a small electric blower too. Its not quite up to to the task of moving 4'.
Well just like life, one foot at a time. We have falling temps here this morning, 6 degrees and falling with tomorrows high of -8, woops, wrong it fell another degree 5

LOL well I agree mostly. But we aren't bitter or anything. And there is a level of cold in which I would prefer not to endure, even if it means calling upon the ex! Hopefully by next winter i'll have improved the insulation and air sealing, and perhaps swapped out my other woodstove for a bigger one. But for now if I don't have any help on the bitter cold days its rough. Luckily this week I have off, so I can run the stove harder and feed it 3 or 4 times a day versus 2.

Just loaded up the stove with 2 medium splits of ash and 8 Eco-Bricks, got her cruising around 700F, got the pellet stove on 8 though its going into sootey burn, but I don't want to shut her down and clean it until daytime tomorrow. Supposed to be as low as -10 tonight and -20 with wind chill.

Found out one big thing was how bad my front door was leaking. Mostly under the bottom. But I've never messed with door seals and would probably have to take it off hinges and look at the bottom to figure out what I need. Not something I can do in these temperatures. I've had a towel pressed up against the bottom but still was leaking cold air. So in the meantime I duct taped the entire door shut! That did the trick. Picked up a few degrees in the room! And also I didn't realize how much cold air was coming up through the unused furnace registers. I put cardboard or whatever I had laying around over them and weighted down with various things. Whatever it takes to get through this arctic blast.
That's the best way to roll. Been there and done it. LOL! I was a little ticked and cranky after working out in this crap all week and thinking of the Ex didn't help at all. This week isn't going to be any better either. Dreading the cold and snow. Makes work conditions much harder. Anyway, good luck with it all and it's best to get along if possible but some don't play very fair. Getting pounded with more snow today. Not even sure how much we have had 15 inches plus and several record setting lows. Yippie!

You sure you're not from Tucky or WV? Duct tape is a cure all. LOL! We call it West Virginia chrome. I did use some coming home from work and it made it 2 plus hours at highway speeds. ;) I ran it around a bunch of left over trim board ends that were flopping in the wind. Load was strapped but the ends sticking out were flexing all over so I pulled off and worked some Duct Tape magic. Always have some handy. I've seen a few car windows with plastic and Duct Tape over the years. That is straight up hill-billy but beats being wet and cold I'd say. :oops:

Well this arctic blast finally gave up. back up into the teens today, and suppose to warm up to 30's by end of day. Turned the pellet stove back down to medium. Maybe I can take the duct tape back off the front door now lol!
IMG_20150220_180651-800.jpg

New York is a beautiful state (Northern Tier that is). Just one issue. You have a gestapo governor and he's anti firearm. I could never live there.
Almost everyone I know from back home are all gun enthusiasts, hunters, competitive shooters, etc. I don't think a single one of them has paid any attention to all this recent bull. Last year when I visited I brought my new .22 plinker with me. Dad said you know that's illegal to bring into the state. I was dumbfounded. Wha? I guess it was because this little Ruger holds too many rounds? Its a pretty run of the mill lil ol target handgun. It is getting pretty crazy. The problem is NYC views and issues tend to take over the entire state, even though most of the northerntier is about as opposite from city life as it gets.

Gloversville is one of those cities well past prime. Was once the world's glove manufacturing center (what else) with large tanneries. Today it is a depressing area gasping for air. A friend of mine lives just outside the city.

Reason for low re prices in that area are high taxes (relatively speaking, few decent jobs, poor school system and limited opportunity for improvement). It is a depressing place although Fulton County area has lovely countryside and reasonable proximity to good fishing, hunting, and cultural activities.

I've heard that about Gloversville. Though the place I was looking at was Gloversville addy it was a good ways (15+mi as I recall) from the town. I really wouldn't care as I would be travelling to Albany every day and whatever I needed I could get there. I drive an hour each way now to get to Columbus but live out in the country. And its not nearly as nice here in terms of country and nature. I'd drive a bit further if it meant I could get a place more of what I'm looking for (property large enough for a little homestead, orchards, woods to hunt and cut firewood, etc). A few houses I was looking at were within 10-20 minutes of the start of the Northville Placid trail. Being that I'm an avid hiker of the Adirondacks I was nearly drooling at the thought. Actually one property was bordered on 3 sides by the Adirondack Park, had a trout stream, and 70 acres. All for less than I paid for my 2.2 acre place with a slightly larger old crappy house that isn't nearby anything. The property taxes of that place in Gloversville was actually $200 cheaper than mine to boot! And people say my taxes are dirt cheap. Though I could not see what the school taxes are, I know in NY that’s separate. Even if it doubled the tax (I hear that's a rule of thumb) it would still be cheaper than equivalent places around here! I'd have moved in a heartbeat (I'm getting divorced currently) but because of my son I'm pretty much stuck here since we are going to do 50/50 parenting time. For 9 more years anyhow...

I know most places especially closer in to towns and cities are much more expensive, but I just couldn’t believe when I started looking I found so many wonderful places... places that I could actually afford that don't even exist here in Ohio not even to mention the proximity to mountains and such. I haven't found a place over 10 acres here, even with a crappy small prefab house that I could easily afford myself. Thats majorly depressing. Of course there may be some, but too far from our current school.

Last edited:
Law wise it don't matter and the State Capital is Albany is it not? Thats not NYC by a long shot. I have a friend who is a Highway Patrolman in New York thats gonna jump ship as soon as he finds suitable work in a more Second Amendment friendly state.

I'd not be taking that 'plinker' home if I were you. A felony is a felony.

Problem with urbanites making law for the rest of the good people making their food. Same is happening in MN. Its when the urbanites come to the country that problems occur. Had a Swine operation just about go broke because of a urbanite suing because they moved in next door and found out it smelled and complained about the dust from the gravel road.
They are working on a nationwide carry right now that should cover anyone traveling with a legal firearm. I have to carry as a Homeland security issue and its not recognized by several states that I have to.

Yes, sidecar your missing my point about the city I think. Regardless the capital is in Albany, NYC sucks the rest of the state with it. I recall one year back when I was kid they raised the price of one of the hunting licenses. I'm not sure if its true but it was said later the increase (though supposed to be for conservation, etc) went to NYC department of transportation. If the city was not a part of the rest of NY I am sure the laws, taxes, and everything would be very different.

Problem with urbanites making law for the rest of the good people making their food. Same is happening in MN. Its when the urbanites come to the country that problems occur. Had a Swine operation just about go broke because of a urbanite suing because they moved in next door and found out it smelled and complained about the dust from the gravel road.

Interestingly, I had the same issue happen to me, with a homeowner (from the city) that bought a house surrounded by cultivatable fields that I spread solid manure on. He called me up and whined and cryied about the smell and told me if I didn't cease and desist he was gonna get a lawyer and take me to court to which I replied "You better have enough money to pay your court costs and mone because you will loose (if any attorney familiar with Michigan law was stupid enough to take your case). You see, here, we all come under MRTF and GAMP. MRTF Michigan Right to Farm and GAMP Generally accepted Manure Management Practices. I did nothing wrong in as much as it was solid I had 15 days to incorporate it (if it was liquid it had to be knifed in per GAMP).

This is the same clown that was roasting soiled diapers in a burn barrel with the wind blowing my way. he didn't have to smell them, I did (his house sits in between 2 fields adjacent to my farmhouse) I didn't say a word, I just waited until the wind was blowing his way and stragetically placed a wet moldy round bale of nasty hay in direct line (wind wise) with his house and lit it off. His house literally vabished in the stinky, nasty smoke. He got rid of the burn barrel and gor garbage pickup after that. I believe in being subtle but firm.;lol

Yes, sidecar your missing my point about the city I think. Regardless the capital is in Albany, NYC sucks the rest of the state with it. I recall one year back when I was kid they raised the price of one of the hunting licenses. I'm not sure if its true but it was said later the increase (though supposed to be for conservation, etc) went to NYC department of transportation. If the city was not a part of the rest of NY I am sure the laws, taxes, and everything would be very different.

I got your point just fine. We have Detroit, Ohio has Akron. NYS has NYC. I realize that. My point is it's still a felony to possess under state law in New York. I don't make the laws but I abide by them. I'm not into 3 hots and a cot.

When I go on a hunting trip out of state or out of the country, I always abide by local rules and laws. Thats how it works, if, in fact I like it or not.

I have a wife for that task...............lol

I got your point just fine. We have Detroit, Ohio has Akron. NYS has NYC. I realize that. My point is it's still a felony to possess under state law in New York. I don't make the laws but I abide by them. I'm not into 3 hots and a cot.

When I go on a hunting trip out of state or out of the country, I always abide by local rules and laws. Thats how it works, if, in fact I like it or not.
Akron? That's nothing compared to Cleveland and Cuyahoga county. Ohio may be a "shall issue" state but try getting your CCW in Cleveland; they don't follow the law.

Law wise it don't matter and the State Capital is Albany is it not? Thats not NYC by a long shot. I have a friend who is a Highway Patrolman in New York thats gonna jump ship as soon as he finds suitable work in a more Second Amendment friendly state.

I'd not be taking that 'plinker' home if I were you. A felony is a felony.

You right about the Capitol being closer to the North Country than the City ..... HOWEVER .... The political power is derived from the City and when it comes to making law and policy that means the City world view prevails. Population of the State is just south of 20 million --- about 40% lives in the City. When you add in the surrounding metro area that percentage likely increases to about 60%

As I said the local enforcement agencies have stated they will not enforce the gun law. Many DA's have said they will not prosecute even if State Police make an arrest. In the North Country most State Police live and have a world view pretty close to the citizens where they live.

Of course it could change BUT not likely in my lifetime.

Glad the forefathers did not have that attitude. We would still be singing God Bless the King ,,,,, BUT I understand your point too.

It's actually pretty warm here right now, 29. Thats Florida like compared to earlier this week. I know it will be short lived. I read in the paper that the Great Lakes are almost 90% ice covered like last year. Global warming at it's best.

One good thing is the ice cover eliminates the Buffalo snow machine of the eastern end of Lake Erie.....

Yeah that will help the western NYers out some, but the northerners like my folks don’t get much reprieve, Ontario is pretty deep and doesn't freeze over as much.

Got some crosscountry skiing in this afternoon, and wow the temps were up to near melting and the snow was pretty sticky. Felt like spring time!

Pallet company right down the road always has pallets for free --- free firewood for the furnace....! :)

There's a pallet company in Caribou? Where?

What does that mean?
AS part of the security detail for what I transport and use etc, Homeland requires a detailed accounting of how the stuff is secured and protected.

AS part of the security detail for what I transport and use etc, Homeland requires a detailed accounting of how the stuff is secured and protected.

I'll leave it at that, thanks.

I noticed a lot of discussion about frozen pipes in this thread, especially when using only our biomass stoves.

I saw the same thing with one set of pipes in my house, but I added the wrap-on electric heat cables fairly soon after finding the problem. I didn't see anyone planning this here.

Is that a solution that's not used anymore? Seems simple and cheap, though the installation might be some work.

So far this winter I've logged about 1kWh of electricity use on my pipes. Doesn't consume much energy.

I noticed a lot of discussion about frozen pipes in this thread, especially when using only our biomass stoves.

I saw the same thing with one set of pipes in my house, but I added the wrap-on electric heat cables fairly soon after finding the problem. I didn't see anyone planning this here.

Is that a solution that's not used anymore? Seems simple and cheap, though the installation might be some work.

So far this winter I've logged about 1kWh of electricity use on my pipes. Doesn't consume much energy.

The only pipes I have to really worry about are in the garage and boxed in (not open to the room), with lots of insulation. I don't worry about them until in the single digits or lower (consistently). Just run the boiler a couple times per day then, using an Temp guard. Doesn't use much propane (I have to use it for DHW anyway), and I don't have to find a way to run electricity or do demolition work.

The issue with heat tapes on pipes in unheated areas is that (like in a crawl space) mice are attracted to the heat and tend to chew as they (make themselves comfortable) leading to a shorted heat tape and a possible fire. I didn't realize that until my well driller (who came out and checked the well because I thought the pitless adapter was frozen (( and it wasn't it was under the house in the crawl), told me and I presume thats from their experience and it makes sense)).

I just let the water drip in the tub.

BioBurner is forwarding me his sub artic temperatures fro yesterday. It's 29 now but going down to -5 with severe wind chill, later today...

Thanks Bio....

Everyone kind of skated along before Christmas and I was thinking this was gonna be a pretty uneventful winter, temperature and snow wise, but then everything turned bad to worse...................;lol

The issue with heat tapes on pipes in unheated areas is that (like in a crawl space) mice are attracted to the heat and tend to chew as they (make themselves comfortable) leading to a shorted heat tape and a possible fire. I didn't realize that until my well driller (who came out and checked the well because I thought the pitless adapter was frozen (( and it wasn't it was under the house in the crawl), told me and I presume thats from their experience and it makes sense)).

I just let the water drip in the tub.
I could see that. I haven't had mice in my basement so no issue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.