In the round 73 days later...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Hearth Supporter
Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
The first picture is a shot of some white oak from a clear-cut...probably down for 9 months (?) before I bucked and scrounged it. The second shot is roughly a month and a half later (03/06/11 to 05/21/11). A bit of difference here....

The lower, large round towards the middle will help orient you to the stack. If I had thought about it I could have framed the pictures similarly but I wasn't thinking of doing a side by side comparision when I shot the "after" picture...just wanted some shots before I busted the wood up. You can see some very faint cracking going on in the "before" pictures that preceded the cracks in the "after" image.

FWIW,

Ed

2moWOa.jpg

2moWOb.jpg

I often stack oak rounds, sometimes for several months, until I can get a days worth to split at once. The cracking in your pics is typical. It is also typical for me to find that the MC is still very high. I really need to break my "split it all at once" habits and get the drying process started sooner.

[quote author="Intheswamp" date="1306862967"]The first picture is a shot of some white oak from a clear-cut...probably down for 9 months (?) before I bucked and scrounged it. The second shot is roughly a month and a half later (03/06/11 to 05/21/11). A bit of difference here....

The lower, large round towards the middle will help orient you to the stack. If I had thought about it I could have framed the pictures similarly but I wasn't thinking of doing a side by side comparision when I shot the "after" picture...just wanted some shots before I busted the wood up. You can see some very faint cracking going on in the "before" pictures that preceded the cracks in the "after" image.

FWIW,

Ed

Ed those are some nice rounds of oak, nice scrounge.

GIBIR

I agree with Cascade. The cracks and checking is very common but only means that the ends are drying. A lot still has to come from the center. Nonetheless Ed, that looks like some great firewood.

Yup, it's wanting to season...but don't let the appearance of the ends of the rounds lull you into thinking that anything dramatic is happening there. Split one and measure the mc in the middle of a freshly split piece. Real seasoning will only begin after it's all split & stacked. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.