Injury while doing firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's best to go see a Dr if you think that. If the bone does not heal exactly right (especially in a finger where there is not a lot of space) tendons and muscles now rubbing over the uneven healed place may give issues (pain) later in life.
Bone shards even more so.

Don't want to end up with not being able to chain saw wood in 10 yrs...

It's best to go see a Dr if you think that. If the bone does not heal exactly right (especially in a finger where there is not a lot of space) tendons and muscles now rubbing over the uneven healed place may give issues (pain) later in life.
Bone shards even more so.

Don't want to end up with not being able to chain saw wood in 10 yrs...
I have been wearing a splint and it’s much better. It’s just the finger tip so I’m not sure what could really be done. I’ll keep an eye on it for a couple more weeks and see what happens. If it turns black I’ll head to urgent care.

Do any of you smash your finger tips while stacking wood? I just can't seem to learn (for long) that you shouldn't hold wood underhand when putting it down..

Do any of you smash your finger tips while stacking wood? I just can't seem to learn (for long) that you shouldn't hold wood underhand when putting it down..

Hmm no haven't had that happen more than once or twice by accident. My hands tend to get tired after a day from picking it up actively trying to avoid doing that. I'll pick up one in each hand and put them down that way.

I also work with my hands though so I run into some over use situations during wood processing season. I try to focus on not using my phone much and taking it easy on my hands/wrists during my down time that time of year. It can be a long day when you split/stack all day then go to work and lift/move heavy chit all night lol.

Grew up splitting wood with a Gravely walk-behind tractor with unicorn splitter on a gearbox. No idea how we kept our fingers. Stringy oak, heavy gloves, hooded sweatshirts with dangling drawstrings... i shouldnt be alive.

Mostly when running the splitter for me. My shins take a beating to lol.

I definitely get more shin bruises than anywhere else. I have carbon tipped boots from work so my toes stay safe but those shin whacks hurt like a SOB and take 3 months to get better. The absolute worst is when you hit the same spot a week later...;sick

Catchers shin guards , as much wood as I've split they're a must have , will save those shins for sure.

Oh that's a great idea. Or maybe if you don't have those some basic soccer shin guards would be better than nothing.

Just today I was grabbing some cinderblocks for the base I need to build for my ever expanding woodpile, I was moving 15 of these blocks one by one into the bed of my truck and stepped and rolled my ankle better than I have in 10 years. I felt it start to swell a little but counted to ten like Brad Pitt in that zombie movie to see if it was screwed , but it wasn’t. I gingerly got the rest of them in the bed.

CDA8CDFC-7B1A-43A7-8B49-EAF2E3313460.jpeg

Reactions: Prof and Ctwoodtick
Docs hate chainsaw cuts. Compared to a nice clean cut from a knife, the chainsaw cut is rough and jagged, and full of dirt, oil, and sawdust.

I got 35 stitches in the left thigh one time from the Stihl, damn nurse spent an hour cleaning the wound before doc sewed it up.

• Wow
Reactions: boomfire and Prof
Not nice. Injury is why I switched from Wood to Pellets. Stumbled on Bucked up Wood and Hit my Shoulder on one and tore muscle in 1/2 and tore rotator cuff. And I could have had wife push the cut up pieces out of the way easily enough with tractor.

IMG_0447.JPG

Docs hate chainsaw cuts. Compared to a nice clean cut from a knife, the chainsaw cut is rough and jagged, and full of dirt, oil, and sawdust.

I got 35 stitches in the left thigh one time from the Stihl, damn nurse spent an hour cleaning the wound before doc sewed it up.
Ten years ago had nine staples in my knee, thanks to my Stihl. Would have been worse if my knee cap hadn't slowed it down. My neighbor owns a tree service and his advice was, once you start your saw never take your eye off the chain. No problems since.

Heck, I feel lucky--I got off easy with 3 stiches. Honestly, with chainsaws, it wouldn't have surprised me to find a couple toes without homes in my boot.

Reactions: Bobbob
30 years ago I was 18 ft up a ladder against a big dead elm out front, cutting a 9-10" branch off and I miscalculated to fall path and it hit the extension ladder and put a nice bend in the ladder. Not enough to make it unusable but my wife makes fun of me when I get it out to clean the gutters or cut more branches because of the pronounced bend in it. Luckily the arc in the top half is the same as the one in the lower half so they slide together just like they were manufactured that way. Neighbors drive by with jealousy oozing out of their stares.

I have been 18 feet up a ladder, sawing with a chainsaw. I didn't get hurt but, damn that is dangerous.

Ten years ago had nine staples in my knee, thanks to my Stihl. Would have been worse if my knee cap hadn't slowed it down. My neighbor owns a tree service and his advice was, once you start your saw never take your eye off the chain. No problems since.
Yeah my buddy who went to forestry school said they taught him to treat a chainsaw like it's a weapon. Same respect for it as a loaded gun.

Reactions: Bobbob
It'd be way more fun to fell a tree with a gun. Just sayin'...

I don't have THAT kind of gun. And from what I have seen, it mostly makes kindling...

Unless I missed it, Paul never posted back to tell us what happened with his ankle. Maybe they put him down, like a lame horse?

Those who've been on this forum more than a few years likely remember the story of my FIL cutting his finger off at my house, Black Friday ca.2012. He was there to help me split and stack firewood, but the amputation actually happened during a lunch break, when he decided to use the table saw for a quick cupola trimwork job.

I also dropped a tree on a cutting partner's son, but already used that story once this summer. :)

While out cutting with my son, I took down a 30 foot fir snag. I was so impressed with myself for getting it to drop exactly where I wanted it to go that I stood and watched it drop. It bounced with the butt glancing off my skull. I know to get out of the way but failed to this time. Spent the afternoon in th ER with many stitches. Fortunate to have nothing permanent. Very lucky and grateful that it was not worse than it was.

I broke my thumb last fall while removing the old sidewalk so I could build a deck.
I got a stick through my foot around the end of the year while trying to load firewood for a friend who had none. That laid me up for a month.
Then I tore a rotator cuff, and now I have a hurt rib.

Can't remember a year of getting hurt like this. It's nuts. I'm just trying to keep going without more damage. I still have to cut the chunk of stick out of my foot....gonna use some tincture on that one.

Reactions: patrickk222
I broke my thumb last fall while removing the old sidewalk so I could build a deck.
I got a stick through my foot around the end of the year while trying to load firewood for a friend who had none. That laid me up for a month.
Then I tore a rotator cuff, and now I have a hurt rib.

Can't remember a year of getting hurt like this. It's nuts. I'm just trying to keep going without more damage. I still have to cut the chunk of stick out of my foot....gonna use some tincture on that one.
You seem to be a walking disaster.