Injury while doing firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulBunyun

Oct 15, 2019
Michigan
Sitting in the ER waiting to see if my ankle is broken. Spent the day cutting up a free oak from a neighbor. I was unloading the last log out of the trailer when I rolled my ankle and heard a nice pop! Worth the free oak though lol. Let me hear some nice firewood mishaps to pass the time in the ER. Stay warm everyone.

I was trying to "hold" a small branch with my foot about 8 yrs ago when the saw bounced down the branch to my foot. Caught my foot about 5 inches from the tip of my big toe. Destroyed a new pair of boots--guess I didn't need that $150 anyway! Called my PCP and the nurse urged me to go to the ER. I laughed and shared that I have a $200 co-pay and my foot was still attached. In reality the cut was about 1/2 inch deep and 2 inches long--it took 3 stiches. Of course, the PA at the doc in a box that I ended up at had little to no experience at stiches . In fact, she pulled the thread right through my skin on the first stich. The older nurse just shook her head and smiled and said, "Honey you need to tie a knot before you pull on that." Hope you mend quickly.

So sorry that happened for that's a real drag--don't really have any firewood stories and all I can say is put ice on it....Sounds like you are going on vacation and taken a easy for awhile until it heals but with that snap or sound ---"that does not feel good''or even "sound good"--not optimistic here with the description of it all and I have you in my prayers.. clancey

Reactions: RomanW
I was trying to "hold" a small branch with my foot about 8 yrs ago when the saw bounced down the branch to my foot. Caught my foot about 5 inches from the tip of my big toe. Destroyed a new pair of boots--guess I didn't need that $150 anyway! Called my PCP and the nurse urged me to go to the ER. I laughed and shared that I have a $200 co-pay and my foot was still attached. In reality the cut was about 1/2 inch deep and 2 inches long--it took 3 stiches. Of course, the PA at the doc in a box that I ended up at had little to no experience at stiches . In fact, she pulled the thread right through my skin on the first stich. The older nurse just shook her head and smiled and said, "Honey you need to tie a knot before you pull on that." Hope you mend quickly.
Great story. I always have a healthy set of caution for chainsaws evertime I use them.

Last edited:
Reactions: D8Chumley
No firewood injuries at this point. Lots of other injuries though

So sorry that happened for that's a real drag--don't really have any firewood stories and all I can say is put ice on it....Sounds like you are going on vacation and taken a easy for awhile until it heals but with that snap or sound ---"that does not feel good''or even "sound good"--not optimistic here with the description of it all and I have you in my prayers.. clancey
Always can use prayers. Thank you clancey.

Reactions: RomanW
Back injuries from firewood here. But I can’t blame the firewood. I blame a sedentary job and then thinking I can safety lift 100 pound rounds on the weekend.

20211017_161720.jpg

I just dealt with this 3 hours before work. Restacked 2 cords and tarped it. I'm beat and have to go stack boxes for 4 hrs now lol. Only a minor few scrapes on some screws but overall not bad. Stuff can easily go wrong though, always be careful. Hope you get better soon!

I was unloading the last log out of the trailer when I rolled my ankle and heard a nice pop! Worth the free oak though lol
!!! ;lol
View attachment 283477

I just dealt with this 3 hours before work. Restacked 2 cords and tarped it. I'm beat and have to go stack boxes for 4 hrs now lol. Only a minor few scrapes on some screws but overall not bad. Stuff can easily go wrong though, always be careful. Hope you get better soon!
Can't quite figure what I'm looking at here...wood shed collapse? Restacking stinks no matter the reason though...

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
lol That picture will get the paul bunyum thinking and take his mind off the injury---maybe caw had a tarp something on the top of it or maybe the top blew off---looks like a lot of wood and he needs a cold drink and a dog to and a few soaks in epson salts...clancey..

Reactions: PaulBunyun
Sitting in the ER waiting to see if my ankle is broken. Spent the day cutting up a free oak from a neighbor. I was unloading the last log out of the trailer when I rolled my ankle and heard a nice pop! Worth the free oak though lol. Let me hear some nice firewood mishaps to pass the time in the ER. Stay warm everyone.

Roughly twelve or thirteen years ago I was dropping a tree for my Godparents. Had the tree on the ground - small tree only about forty foot. I was in it breaking it up when the saw caught a small branch and leaped into my leg. The Stihl happily ate my favorite pair of shorts. The bar, with a fresh chain, tore the everlasting phoque out of my right leg from the kneecap almost to my hip. I wrapped it with a towel and duck tape and finished the job. Got home and poured cayenne tincture in it and did the dance of the idiots. Very fortunate in that there was no infection, didn't hit any tendons, and no major muscle damage.

Hope your ankle is not broken.

My uncle was cutting firewood in running shoes, like he often did, and somehow the saw met the end of his shoe and went to work, I think it cut 5 inches down his foot before he stopped. He spent most of the next year on crutches while it healed.

View attachment 283477

I know that sucks for you but all I could think of is a new series on Netflix called “Nailed It! (Wood Shed Edition)” where contestants try to make great sheds that look like this:

1634517628055.jpeg

And end up with making ones that look like this:

1634517531025.png

No firewood injuries, but one of my employees lost a real good friend about a month ago.

They were clearing a tree. It got dark, they figured it was the country and nobody would complain, so they went ahead and felled it. They didn't notice the power line going through the tree. Friend grabbed the power line instead of a branch. He left a wife and 4 kids.

• Sad
No injuries here. Just nicks and bruises, lots of smashed fingers and such. My mom did take the very tip of her middle finger off with the splitter once while helping my father. When we came back the next day we grabbed the glove that was laying there soaked in blood. Yea the tip was still in there. My great uncle also had a saw buck back and hit him in the fore head als, though it must not have been too bad being there was no scar that I ever could tell.

No firewood injuries, but one of my employees lost a real good friend about a month ago.

They were clearing a tree. It got dark, they figured it was the country and nobody would complain, so they went ahead and felled it. They didn't notice the power line going through the tree. Friend grabbed the power line instead of a branch. He left a wife and 4 kids.ery tragic. This gives me great perspective that it could always be worse.
Very sad. Gives perspective that it could be worse and be thankful for that.

I know that sucks for you but all I could think of is a new series on Netflix called “Nailed It! (Wood Shed Edition)” where contestants try to make great sheds that look like this:

View attachment 283483

And end up with making ones that look like this:

View attachment 283482

Hahaha that gave me a good chuckle thanks for that.

This wasn't a woodshed it was just a scrap sheet metal roof that I ghetto attached with some scrap wood I had laying around. It has been leaning pretty hard lately and I had been meaning to get to it...nature just kicked me in the butt to get me to do it and punish me for not doing it sooner by making me do it before work. This is about half my seasoned wood for this season and it's been wet at night lately so I had to make sure it was done/tarped before going to work. It was a good workout but boy do I HATE restacking. I tend to take my time and do a really good job so this doesn't happen but some of my supports settled a bit and caused the lean.

Reactions: NoGoodAtScreenNames
i once did something very stupid i was cuttin up some black cherry that was sittin on a hard maple log ..... now this cherry had like 3 to 4 seperate logs connected to 1 stump so im workin on the bottom 1 and i get to the part sittin on the maple log i get through like 95 percent and see the stump start to wiggle a bit i get through the piece and it came rollin off and hit me right in the ribs and about pinned me to a tree ... needless to say ended up with more marks in my britches than a quarter mile drag strip and a few broken ribs

Wood-related, but not firewood related . . . a few years back I was on a step ladder cutting a large branch off a pine tree. Did not realize one should do an undercut first and then top cut to allow the branch to gently droop down and then snap off cleanly. Cutting away and then the next thing I knew all I saw was blackness and stars. Managed to somehow hang on to the ladder and ride it down. Hit the ground and blood was gushing everywhere from a cut on the forehead. Ended up going to the local hospital ED and got a few stitches. Never have had that problem since then . . . learned my lesson from that mistake.

Firewood-related, but no injuries . . . several years ago my Uncle was cutting wood on a piece of property the family owned in Belfast. Plenty of land and trees all around, but for some reason he decided he wanted to cut this one tree located next to a power line. Turned out it was a major power line running to a sub-station. Ended up shutting down the power to a good part of Belfast for several hours.

Sorry about that, hope you'll mend fast. Cutting firewood, trees, is very dangerous work, I never cut without eye, ear, head, protection as well as steel toes and chainsaw chaps, even then injuries can happen. Hang in there .

More proof that there is no such thing as free wood!

Bummer, sports injuries mostly for me. A lot of guys roll there ankles. Don’t like that yours popped. Hope it’s ok. The guys that have ankle injuries now wear ankle braces when playing to help from rolling them again.

Fairly certain that I broke my finger a couple (maybe 3?) weeks ago. Was also getting some free Oak. It's still fairly swollen. I dropped the first round I cut on it. Hurt like hell, but I still got a couple loads in the truck. Nothing better than free wood.

Reactions: PaulBunyun