inserts with 8 inch liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i have a 8 inch ss liner.....am i stuck with buying a stove with 8 inch opening or can i put an adapter on it?..my chimney is 12 feet tall.......just wondering because i dont see too many inserts with 8 inch opening..other than blaze king...and a few buck stoves

A 12 foot chimney is awful short. If it were a 25+ foot chimney, I wouldn't think too much about you trying to hook a stove up w/ a 6 in exit on it and seeing how things go.

Even if you go w/ a stove that calls for 8in, most modern stoves require more chimney than that. Is it possible to extend it above the roof more and add a support?

pen

dont think i can add on to chimney....it draws really good right now with my old shenandoah stove....

Am I missing something here.? It seems that that with a short, 12 foot chimney that has an 8 in S/S liner, would be a plus, hooking it up to a new stove with a 6 in outlet?

Theory says that increasing the size of the pipe allows the exhaust gasses to expand, which allows them to cool more quickly, decreasing buoyancy and draft. I have no idea how increasing from 6" to 8" (28 sq in to 50 sq in) with a 12-ft rise would work out. The fact that the chimney works well with an older stove doesn't mean much. In comparison, newer stoves have severely restricted exhaust paths to provide for secondary combustion, and cooler exhaust temps, so they are more demanding of the flue setup in order to avoid sluggish draft. If 8" doesn't work out, 15' of 6" flex liner can be had for ~ $300. OTOH, you could do worse than a BK or Buck with an 8" flue. BK's are kinda pricey in the East. The Buck 91 may be too big, but the 2.6-cu-ft Buck 80 might be a good choice. . .it's about the only non-jumbo stove I know of that has an 8" flue. Maybe you should go ahead and post all of the details of your space and installation so you can get the full hearth.com treatment. :)

Den has it right. Buy a Buck Catalytic Stove. How big is your house?

house is 1600 sq feet...what other details u need?

Den said:
Theory says that increasing the size of the pipe allows the exhaust gasses to expand, which allows them to cool more quickly, decreasing buoyancy and draft. I have no idea how increasing from 6" to 8" (28 sq in to 50 sq in) with a 12-ft rise would work out. The fact that the chimney works well with an older stove doesn't mean much. In comparison, newer stoves have severely restricted exhaust paths to provide for secondary combustion, and cooler exhaust temps, so they are more demanding of the flue setup in order to avoid sluggish draft. If 8" doesn't work out, 15' of 6" flex liner can be had for ~ $300. OTOH, you could do worse than a BK or Buck with an 8" flue. BK's are kinda pricey in the East. The Buck 91 may be too big, but the 2.6-cu-ft Buck 80 might be a good choice. . .it's about the only non-jumbo stove I know of that has an 8" flue. Maybe you should go ahead and post all of the details of your space and installation so you can get the full hearth.com treatment. :)
I am aware of all the theory. But there are so many variables, and the liner is already there, I believe I would try it first. Theory when it comes to draft doesn't always work.

tfdchief said:
I am aware of all the theory. But there are so many variables, and the liner is already there, I believe I would try it first. Theory when it comes to draft doesn't always work.

If it is a safe install, there is no harm in trying it. However, I'll be very surprised if the results are good.

My first year of burning this epa stove it fed directly into my 7x7 clay chimney. It ran fine. However, it wasn't until after I installed the 6 inch liner into that chimney that I realized what I was missing as there was a marked difference.

pen

Theory is grey, and the tree of life is green. - Goethe
Agreed that there are too many variables to know for sure without testing the stove/flue setup. . .maybe Steeltown's house is on top of a WV mountain, and his draft will be good regardless of the flue details. Also agree to go with the existing flue before trying something else. That said, I would take a serious look at the Buck 80. It's designed to burn best with an 8" flue, and it might be a very good fit for a 1600 sq ft house. It's not the most popular stove here, but those who have them seem to like them. :)

Definitely Buck Model 80. It's a cat stove, so it should be extremely flexible and give good burn times.

I helped a friend of mine install an 8" all-fuel stainless chimney system in his one story modular home; it's 8" because he hooked up an old Timberline stove. He has since replaced the Timberline with a Quadrafire, and uses 6" connector pipe up to the ceiling, where he uses a 6" to 8" adapter at the transition point to the stainless chimney. The Quadrafire drafts just fine with the 8". Height is about 8' above the roof.

I realize this does not ensure you will have the same result, but I would definitely try it and see.

In addition to the Buck model mentioned above, the Kuma Sequoia is a fireplace insert that has an 8" flue requirement.

TX-L said:
I helped a friend of mine install an 8" all-fuel stainless chimney system in his one story modular home; it's 8" because he hooked up an old Timberline stove. He has since replaced the Timberline with a Quadrafire, and uses 6" connector pipe up to the ceiling, where he uses a 6" to 8" adapter at the transition point to the stainless chimney. The Quadrafire drafts just fine with the 8". Height is about 8' above the roof.

I realize this does not ensure you will have the same result, but I would definitely try it and see.

In addition to the Buck model mentioned above, the Kuma Sequoia is a fireplace insert that has an 8" flue requirement.

Lots of stories like this, however, there is a big difference between "drafting just fine" and "working as it was designed."

I bet if your buddy had the chance to run the identical stove on a full and proper chimney, he'd be amazed in the positive difference.

I know I was when I made the change.

pen

Yep, not much point in discarding the existing flue without trying it with whatever stove you get. I remembered another 8" insert: Country Flame BBF. Probably bigger than you want, 3.9 cu ft, but maybe not if your house is drafty and you are used to blasting the old stove to keep it toasty. Other details you could post if you want more stove suggestions: climate, insulation + tightness of house, layout for circulation of heat, size of fireplace. . .

8 inch liner wont be trashed or taken out its only 2 years old and installed properly....ill probably go with the Buck 80... been flirting with the cat stoves anyways

Boy am I a major dummy...my chimney is 15ft tall...not 12.. I thought the sooteater came with 5 3 foot rods..it comes with 6... I remembered I had one rod left when I was cleaning...so with 5 3 ft rods to reach the cap..I have a 15ft chimney...sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.